News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Project CHR$(143) : a CPC tribute

Started by NJean, 21:40, 16 April 20

Previous topic - Next topic

NJean

Hi everyone !

Do you remember the "SYMBOL" instruction? That was one of my important discoveries when I started learning BASIC with my CPC!(though my user manual was not very explicit about the meaning of this bunch of numbers you had to provide...)

In tribute to the BASIC little games (full of user defined characters) I used to develop (or type in from magazines) on my 464, I have decided to create a small PC video game, which also includes some references to slightly more popular productions...
First level is simple, but, depending on your abilities, some others may be a little more challenging... :winner:

It is now downloadable from http://chr143.itch.io (where you will also find an "official trailer"...)

Comments would be much appreciated!

Nicolas

PS. And thanks to Floyanami too, for the original main menu soundtrack...

Gryzor

I wanted to draw people's attention to this - it's really enjoyable and the CPC aesthetics is great! Can't understand why not more people have tried it!

Brundij

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:36, 22 April 20
I wanted to draw people's attention to this - it's really enjoyable and the CPC aesthetics is great! Can't understand why not more people have tried it!
Yeah, for those that didn't try it yet, it's a true love letter to the CPC. And I'm enjoying it even if I am a dumb puzzle games player. Text mode graphics are awesome!

NJean

Thanks a lot to you both!
I have spent some time designing it, telling myself such things as "My imaginary player might try this, I could tell him that" and so on.. so I really appreciate that real humans (in addition to my beta-tester, no offense, floyanami!) may finally cope with it... and enjoy ;^)

NJean

Following feedback from several players - some of whom were afraid their brain might melt - version 1.05 now includes more advice and allows skipping a level...

Level 22 is now within reach! ;)

robcfg

I managed to run it on MacOS by installing Godot and running it from the project folder like this:
/Applications/Godot.app/Contents/MacOS/Godot

After the hilarious intro, I'm stuck on the menu, as it does nothing when I press start game.

NJean

Ah, too bad, such a good try!  :'(
I am really sorry, unfortunately, it can't work that way...

Godot scripts are doing well (as you can see with introduction and menu) but the core of the game relies on an additionnal (C++ binary) library, which I have not compiled for MacOS, because I do not have MacOS...

That's really a pitty, because you seem pretty smart, you would probably be a very good player...  :doh:
PS. Godot Docs says it is possible to compile for macOS in a Linux environment using OSXCross. I could try but it does not sound simple...

robcfg

It shouldn't be too difficult as MacOS shares almost all programming tools with Linux.

Can you point me to any instructions on how to do it?

Also, I could open the project on the editor. Can I export or build it from there?

NJean

No, compiling the library requires a bunch of tools and source files...
Could you tell me what your MacOS version is ? And your microprocessor ?

robcfg

That would be no problem either, I'm software developer for a life  :)

My machine is a 2.6 Ghz 6-Core core i7 MacBook Pro.

NJean

Sorry, I did not mean you would not be able to (especially given your first move...), but what you've got (editor and script files) is not enough...  ;)

robcfg

I see  :D

If I can help you getting it to work on MacOS, send me a PM and I'll be glad to help.

NJean

Thanks to your help, robcfg, a MacOS version is under way!  :D
And you, how far have you been?

NJean

Great News: a macOS version has been officially released today, with awesome help from robcfg!
(try to compile and package a macOS bundle without an iMac and you should understand what I mean...)

Thank you very much Rob!!  :D
(I wonder what proportion of CPC users went to Mac eventually? I personally jumped from 6128 to 80286 in the late 1980s but no one is perfect...)

robcfg

I'm just glad I could help!

Regarding Macs, I was a hardcore Windows guy until I went to work as a contractor for Unity in 2014, and was given a desktop Windows machine and a MacBook Pro, to perform my job.

After using the Mac for several months, I decided I liked it way more than Windows boxes and so far, I haven't turned back  :D

NJean

Hi back!
I have just released an ultimate version:

• the first levels have been simplified;
  • you are still allowed to skip a level;
  • completing level 4 unlocks the new "sandbox" level
(very simple at the beginning, including new features as you reach higher levels...)

This should ease the learning curve... and, last but not least, Robcfg is officially credited for his precious help when porting to macOS!

I guess this is the final one, as I have to move on to something else  ;)

Gryzor

Please make your next effort CPC-themed as well :D

NJean

For sure, Gryzor! When your (child's) brain has been shaped by a 464, there will always be a taste of CPC in your creations...  :D

Gryzor

NJean

Because money should not be an obstacle, latest full version is now downloadable for free :)

Countless thanks to all early contributors, including the amazing Gryzor & robcfg.

All the best, everyone...

Gryzor

The pleasure was all mine. A real pity that I don't have the time to spend on an excellent little game!!!

NJean

Stuck by devious levels?

Try the editor...

Gryzor

Surely that's cheating? 🤭

NJean

It's not really cheating: you cannot edit built in levels this way...  ;)
...but you can edit your own levels in order to make experiments...  :D

Gryzor