News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Wonderboy Remake?

Started by Mr. DVG, 21:53, 25 November 19

Previous topic - Next topic

VincentGR

Quote from: OneVision on 11:36, 24 December 20Even insults are welcome !

Not gonna happen.
Making a game for a dead platform is a miracle.

Thank you and happy holidays.

Mr. DVG

Fantastic! These Christmas gifts make you feel really good! :D 
I never fully appreciated the old version of Wonderboy, just because, compared to the C64 version, the scrolling was really too jerky!

Now everything seems to "flow" in the right direction! Compliments!

My invitation is to go ahead with the project and never give up, until the end! Today, compared to yesterday, we can take all the time to develop a product that is competitive and above all we have the means to do so.

Cartridges like 512kb are now a reality (see Alcon 2020 and Dandanator), we can put all levels of the game in memory and take advantage of the 6 channels of the PlayCity to have music and sound effects at the same time... In short, the possibilities are there and they are within everyone's reach!

Good luck guys! With these intentions and with what you are doing so far Wonderboy on Amstrad CPC will be fantastic! ;)

DanyPPC

Really good conversion !

I wish You all the best to complete the game and have another masterpiece on our CPC !
CPC 464 with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 464+ with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 6128+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive Emulator

fgbrain

Sweet nice gfx ... big playing screen & sprites...
Now you see why all new games must be 128KB (and more...) ??

Keep up the good work!!
_____

6128 (UK keyboard, Crtc type 0/2), 6128+ (UK keyboard), 3.5" and 5.25" drives, Reset switch and Digiblaster (selfmade), Inicron Romram box, Bryce Megaflash, SVideo & PS/2 mouse, , Magnum Lightgun, X-MEM, X4 Board, C4CPC, Multiface2 X4, RTC X4 and Gotek USB Floppy emulator.

Mr. DVG

I have tested this beta for a long time, and being a big fan of the arcade version of Wonderboy I renew my congratulations to the staff for the accuracy that has been infused into this first playable level.

I found (pleasantly) more or less the same gameplay as when playing the original arcade. Enemies, fruits, hidden bonuses, power ups and various traps are all where they should be (I miss the sound effects, but I know they will be implemented in future releases). I have noticed a few times some not perfect collisions (it happened to me with boulders and with some platforms) and Tom Tom seems to "slip" a little too much when he collides with stones on the ground (nothing serious for charity).

Scrolling is less smooth when Tom Tom walks or am I wrong? (you may notice a flickering on the sides of the screen).

Another thing concerns the guardian angel power-up. If you make a jump from a high platform that makes it go over the top screen the angel automatically disappears. In the original arcade it doesn't disappear like this!

That said, what I see is incredible and I can not help but bow in front of such great care and love for this beautiful computer, very little used in its commercial period (in Italy the Amstrad CPC situation is very bad, we know it very few, but it's a piece of my childhood heart and that's fine for me).

Thanks for everything! :-*

gurneyh

Quote from: Mr. DVG on 18:19, 25 December 20Scrolling is less smooth when Tom Tom walks or am I wrong? (you may notice a flickering on the sides of the screen).

Not really less fluid, but indeed the edges of the screen "jump". With variable speed scrolling, I haven't found the solution yet.
Quote from: Mr. DVG on 18:19, 25 December 20Another thing concerns the guardian angel power-up. If you make a jump from a high platform that makes it go over the top screen the angel automatically disappears. In the original arcade it doesn't disappear like this!

Yes, it's a bug ! Nice catch :)

Thank you very much for the test, and we are delighted that you get back the sensations of the original game. This is what was missing from all the conversions on 8-bit computers.

Mr. DVG

Quote from: gurneyh on 20:06, 25 December 20
Not really less fluid, but indeed the edges of the screen "jump". With variable speed scrolling, I haven't found the solution yet.
Thank you very much for the test, and we are delighted that you get back the sensations of the original game. This is what was missing from all the conversions on 8-bit computers.

It being understood that even if the scrolling remained like this, it would still be perfect! ;D

Very true! The identical gameplay to the original is an added value to your project and already so this version is the best of all those released on 8-bit computers of that period (I put it on a par with the sega master system and game gear versions)!

Can't wait to play a new release of this fantastic Amstrad CPC version! :P

jomicamp

Congratulations to Benjamin Yoris and the rest of the development team,

This beta is already a very good version, I can only find two important things to improve as already pointed by others: the flickering in the sides of the screen when the boy walks and polishing a little bit the animation when it runs/walks. I have really enjoyed it a lot !!

Keep the good work and thank you for this X-mass gift!

OneVision

Quote from: Mr. DVG on 18:19, 25 December 20
I have tested this beta for a long time, and being a big fan of the arcade version of Wonderboy I renew my congratulations to the staff for the accuracy that has been infused into this first playable level.

I found (pleasantly) more or less the same gameplay as when playing the original arcade. Enemies, fruits, hidden bonuses, power ups and various traps are all where they should be (I miss the sound effects, but I know they will be implemented in future releases). I have noticed a few times some not perfect collisions (it happened to me with boulders and with some platforms) and Tom Tom seems to "slip" a little too much when he collides with stones on the ground (nothing serious for charity).

Scrolling is less smooth when Tom Tom walks or am I wrong? (you may notice a flickering on the sides of the screen).

Another thing concerns the guardian angel power-up. If you make a jump from a high platform that makes it go over the top screen the angel automatically disappears. In the original arcade it doesn't disappear like this!

That said, what I see is incredible and I can not help but bow in front of such great care and love for this beautiful computer, very little used in its commercial period (in Italy the Amstrad CPC situation is very bad, we know it very few, but it's a piece of my childhood heart and that's fine for me).

Thanks for everything! :-*

Grazie mille ! I did hope to wake up fond memories through this remake. We are very glad to read your comments that prove us right ! And that boost some energy for the continuation of the development !

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

JayBlood

Jay

kawickboy

More and more games are playcity enhanced.

BSC

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 17:25, 26 December 20Playcity sounds very nice 

This looks really great! But 6 (or even 9? didn't count) channels of music and ZERO for sound effects? Hope that this is gonna change for the final game.
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

gurneyh

Quote from: BSC on 18:20, 29 December 20This looks really great! But 6 (or even 9? didn't count) channels of music and ZERO for sound effects? Hope that this is gonna change for the final game.

There is no sfx in the preview because of a hitch. The sfx are well planned with or without PlayCity. :)

Gryzor

Just listened to it, so nice!

amijim

Congratulations , the video looks great !Is there any chance we could have a cpr catridge version so as to use it on an amstrad plus.thank you and keep going!

amijim

Hello community,Cyrille from the amstradiens made a catridge version of the wonderboy xmas edition and it feel superb.It is a real gem for the old amstrads cpcs.Congrats to the team benind this early game.

gurneyh

Quote from: amijim on 15:38, 02 January 21Hello community,Cyrille from the amstradiens made a catridge version of the wonderboy xmas edition and it feel superb.It is a real gem for the old amstrads cpcs.Congrats to the team benind this early game.

Nice, I didn't even know about it.
I'm not even going to bother making a cartridge version of the final version. Amtradiens facebook page, will take care of it. ;D

amijim

The new Wonderboy is the perfect remake.I am running it on a cpc plus and the speed is amazing.Super fast scrolling .I would liek to ask if the programmers back then who were professionals did they had all tools to make such an engine game and eventually a game or it is easier for present programmers to make perfect engine games.Congratualtion to the team , the engine behind the game is super smooth and as always i will offer a week of free vacation to the team behind the game as a kind gesture for your time to the Amstrad community!United we make more.I will PM you .

gurneyh

Quote from: amijim on 22:22, 02 January 21The new Wonderboy is the perfect remake.I am running it on a cpc plus and the speed is amazing.Super fast scrolling .I would liek to ask if the programmers back then who were professionals did they had all tools to make such an engine game and eventually a game or it is easier for present programmers to make perfect engine games.Congratualtion to the team , the engine behind the game is super smooth and as always i will offer a week of free vacation to the team behind the game as a kind gesture for your time to the Amstrad community!United we make more.I will PM you .

First of all thank you :)

In the commercial era, as I said above, conversions on the amstrad CPC and on all platforms were subject to heavy constraints.
Today in the case of Wonderboy, it's just a hobbyist project, and we know we have all the time we need: the difference is huge.
As far as the tools are concerned, of course it's totally different, even if in the commercial era the crossdev already existed. We are very privileged today and we can't compare with the "old" ones.

OneVision

Quote from: amijim on 22:22, 02 January 21
The new Wonderboy is the perfect remake.I am running it on a cpc plus and the speed is amazing.Super fast scrolling .I would liek to ask if the programmers back then who were professionals did they had all tools to make such an engine game and eventually a game or it is easier for present programmers to make perfect engine games.Congratualtion to the team , the engine behind the game is super smooth and as always i will offer a week of free vacation to the team behind the game as a kind gesture for your time to the Amstrad community!United we make more.I will PM you .

Wow ! That's very kind, thank you ! One more reason to finish the game, where's my painter !!?? ;)

amijim

Both of you deserve every day i can offer for your hard work.Valid in 2021 or 2022 because covid sucks.

gurneyh

Hi,

Here is a new archive containing .dsk, .hfe, .cpr
The joystick mapping problem is corrected.
Above all, following a request, one can now jump with the joystick/joypad up, if it does not have a second button.

JayBlood

Nice! Time to test on my all cpc's.:). Great conversion! Love this game, I try to speedrun it on my arcade cabinet.
Jay

Mr. DVG

Quote from: gurneyh on 18:59, 06 January 21
Hi,

Here is a new archive containing .dsk, .hfe, .cpr
The joystick mapping problem is corrected.
Above all, following a request, one can now jump with the joystick/joypad up, if it does not have a second button.
Great!!!

If you need a beta tester for upcoming releases, feel free to count on me! ;)