News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

DaDither - new image converter

Started by Dec, 02:02, 18 January 21

Previous topic - Next topic

Dec

I want to introduce my image converter for Windows - DaDither. It can convert bmp/png/gif/jpeg into

- SCR+PAL files. Modes 0, 1 and 2 are supported. Loaded images can be "executed" with CALL &C7D0.
- PPH+EVE+ODD files (B0 format).
- HGB file (FutureOS wallpaper).
Download link.

Gryzor

Really nice! I've seen a few mobile apps that offer different profiles but first time I see it for Windows. Works very nicely, though sometimes it fails, giving either a black output or the original image as output.

Thanks!!

Dec

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:01, 18 January 21sometimes it fails, giving either a black output or the original image as output.
After several months of tool history you are the first who tell me about the problem. Can the problem be reproduced?

Gryzor

Haha let me check...

Apparently, yes. I used the attached. In CPC mode, mode 1/color I only get black; grey and B&W work ok. Same (black only) happens with Sam/Screen 3.

IBM VGA 320x200x8 returns the original (never have 8 colours looked better! :D )

Dec

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:39, 18 January 21In CPC mode, mode 1/color I only get black; grey and B&W work ok. Same (black only) happens with Sam/Screen 3.
It is not a bug. It is a specific. ) The image is very dark by itself so the program cannot build correct palette. I will think about how to fix it.

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:39, 18 January 21IBM VGA 320x200x8 returns the original (never have 8 colours looked better! :D )
The program creates image that looks like original but not original. Original image has 1121 colors, converted image has 254 only.
320x200x8 means 8 bits per sample.

Gryzor

Quote from: Dec on 10:50, 18 January 21
It is not a bug. It is a specific. ) The image is very dark by itself so the program cannot build correct palette. I will think about how to fix it.

Ah, I'd think that color would fair at least as good as B&W or grey, but I see your point

Quote from: Dec on 10:50, 18 January 21
The program creates image that looks like original but not original. Original image has 1121 colors, converted image has 254 only.
320x200x8 means 8 bits per sample.

:picard2:
Please don't hold it against me, coffee hadn't kicked in yet.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Great! These tools are always useful.

Could you add a contrast adjustment? It might mean the palette/image doesn't match the original, but for an 8-bitter's limited palette you would often have to resort to this anyway when doing graphics. I.e., you want to get the darkest colour on the image (which may range from mid-dark grey to pale grey in brightness) to black, and the lightest brighter as well (perhaps to white if that makes sense).

Perhaps another image adjustment ('crush to target palette') might try to push similar colours towards one target palette colour, to reduce wide bands of dithering (as in the example image above) to flat colours, even if it's not a perfect match for the original image. Of course this might be pretty hard to implement...

Obviously hand touching up afterwards is the best option regardless.

Dec

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 11:27, 18 January 21Could you add a contrast adjustment?
It is planned.

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 11:27, 18 January 21push similar colours towards one target palette colour
How can I detect that 2 colors are similar? I need math formula.

Dec

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 11:27, 18 January 21push similar colours towards one target palette colour
Also you can play with Error diffusion parameter.

XeNoMoRPH

one question from other guy, any chance to have the fullscreen mode included ?  :)
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Dec

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 12:20, 18 January 21fullscreen
Do you mean overscan? Technically it is not a problem to add. The problem is how to save them. Is there any standard?

ComSoft6128

Many thanks!

I plan on using this in the near future :)

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Quote from: Dec on 12:29, 18 January 21
Do you mean overscan? Technically it is not a problem to add. The problem is how to save them. Is there any standard?

There was a tool called CpcConvImg, and another from Devilmarkus called JavaCPC-Paint, that supported executable (i.e., RUN "file.scr") overscan images in .scr format - it would be nice (but not necessary) to be compatible with one or the other, although that might take some disassembly and analysis. And presumably clean up on exit.

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/programming/overscan/ was a thread I found on that. Also http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/programming/how-load-overscan-image-and-program-in-basic-loader/

I don't know if that helps.

GUNHED

Very nice! Would it be possible to have also the full screen picture format. In MODE 2 this would be 512*256, or MODE 1 is 256 * 256. In MODE 0 it would be 128 in X and 256 in Y.

It would be awesome to have such 16 KB fullscreen formats too.  :) :) :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Dec

Quote from: GUNHED on 21:20, 18 January 21Would it be possible to have also the full screen picture format. In MODE 2 this would be 512*256, or MODE 1 is 256 * 256. In MODE 0 it would be 128 in X and 256 in Y.
Output file format specification?

XeNoMoRPH

It would be interesting to save a .SCR compatible with Convimg & IMPdraw, file format would be easy to implement and it will allow graphist to rework picture on CPCs.
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Dec

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 09:34, 19 January 21It would be interesting to save a .SCR compatible with Convimg & IMPdraw
Are files created with current version of DaDither not compatible with Convimg & IMPdraw?

GUNHED

Quote from: Dec on 23:51, 18 January 21
Output file format specification?
Exactly 16 KB, on CPC &C000-&FFFF (inclusive). As file type you could use *.HGB for MODE 2 screens.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Dec

For everybody who want the program to create some new formats: you must understand that I am NOT Amstrad CPC user. All my knowledge about CPC are based on the wikipedia article. Those things that are completely clear to you are completely incomprehensible to me. So if you want some new format - give me a link to format specification but not short description only.

Dec

Update: very first try to add B0 format (two screens in Mode 0):

You can save such images into PPH+EVE+ODD files and view them with Perfect Pix.

A request to the owners of real machines: could you check how images look on your monitors?

eto

Quote from: Dec on 06:26, 02 February 21A request to the owners of real machines: could you check how images look on your monitors?

Do you have some example images you are interested in? I can check it on a Plus and a CPC 6128, hooked to a 15kHZ capable TFT and a GBS8200 with a normal TFT.

Dec

Quote from: eto on 09:29, 02 February 21Do you have some example images you are interested in?
You can convert any image you want with my tool and compare preview in the tool and image on your monitor. The tool allows you to select palette. There is no way to calculate exact values of mixed colors for TFT monitors so images will be different in any way because exact values depend on lots of parameters of monitor internal hardware and color settings. But which palette will be more accurate? Also what about flickering? Is flickering weak or intensive?

eto

That's why I asked for example images. Then we can compare the different setups based on the same sources.