News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPCemu 2.0 released

Started by Emu, 22:45, 07 January 21

Previous topic - Next topic

CPCBEGIN

CPCEmu 2.1 doesn't work in lastest Ubuntu LTS  :(
cpcbegin@i7:/opt/linuxemus/cpcemu-2.1$ ./cpcemu
./cpcemu: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL2-2.0.so.0: no version information available (required by ./cpcemu)
./cpcemu: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.33' not found (required by ./cpcemu)

And no idea to load an external dsk in new android version.  :( 
Retro & opensource

Emu

@Gryzor: Are you really using realtime emulation? Are you using the on-screen keyboard?

@CPCBEGIN: I still have to look into the Ubunto problem. Have you tried version 2.0 on Ubuntu? Did it work? Regarding DSK on Android: You have to press the third icon (disk symbol) in the main menu and then the first item in the next window. If by "external" you mean other DSK files than those included with CPCemu then please look at the path below the DSK selection window (inside the red border). You have to copy the DSKs to this directory. Easier than copying DSK files manually is to download them in the Android browser and share them with CPCemu. This works also with ZIP files, but then there will be no autostart.

Gryzor

Quote from: Emu on 09:16, 24 February 21@Gryzor: Are you really using realtime emulation? Are you using the on-screen keyboard?

Not sure what "realtime emulation" and "on-screen keyboard" are. I tap on the screen, the default Android keyboard comes up, I type.

CPCBEGIN

Ubuntu Mate 20.04

CPCEmu 2.0
runs OK but 2.1 falls, I check that I have the required library and the file exists in the right path:
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL2-2.0.so.0

Android

• I try using the 3rd button but I can't exit from emulator path
  • I also try to copy the dsk in the folder but I can't find the path
  • I try also to open the dsk with a file explorer and open with CPCEmu, open the emulator but says than can't find the file.
Do I need to be root to use the emulator? Do I need special privileges?

I try with my mobile, a Xiaomi Red Mi Note 7, a raspberry pi 400 with Lineage and an Android TV.
Retro & opensource

Emu

Ok:

@Gryzor: So, you are using the on-screen keyboard, yes. It's strange that there are multiple keystrokes possible from it at all. I have to try it with other devices myself. What's your Android version? Anyway, you can switch CPCemu between realtime mode and turbo mode by the second button of the main menu (or F2 on desktop systems). Chances are high that you press it by accident on your small display when trying to press the third one (intending to open a DSK). I'm still working on a modified main menu with larger icons arranged differently. Besides, I've found that the initial language selection is still not zoomed, this I will be correct.

@CPCBEGIN: The reason for the Ubuntu errors is that you need to update your system. Your libraries are too old. But, I admit, it would be better to compile CPCemu on an older system to avoid such problems. I will do so next time. Regarding Android: No, no root privileges required, of course. Actually, you should be able to exit the emulator path. Which Android version are you using? Can you post a screen shot of the open-file window (the one with the red bordered window at the bottom) and a screen shot of the error message when sharing a DSK file from the explorer?

PaddyC13

Hi Folks,

Just downloaded 2.1 to try on my Windows 10 64bit PC.

cpcemu_setup-win32-x86-2.1.exe   3.2 MB   Software and manuals all-in-one

The program installs OK but when I try to run the 464, 664 or 6128 the CPCemu window comes up blank and then closes after a few seconds.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Paddy
UK

CPCBEGIN

Quote from: Emu on 09:43, 25 February 21
I will do so next time. Regarding Android: No, no root privileges required, of course. Actually, you should be able to exit the emulator path. Which Android version are you using? Can you post a screen shot of the open-file window (the one with the red bordered window at the bottom) and a screen shot of the error message when sharing a DSK file from the explorer?

I'm using Android 10.QKQ1.190910.002, you can see
in this video than it can't exit to emulator path, when in clic in deepest .. i return to CPCEmu's DSK folder.

In
this other video you can see what happends if I try to load a dsk with the emulator.
Retro & opensource

CPCBEGIN

Quote from: Emu on 09:43, 25 February 21
@CPCBEGIN: The reason for the Ubuntu errors is that you need to update your system. Your libraries are too old. But, I admit, it would be better to compile CPCemu on an older system to avoid such problems.
I have Ubuntu 20.04 Mate, this is the LASTEST LTS avalaible, this is not old, newer versions are experimental.
Do you consider to compile incluiding the libraries in the binary (like RetroVirtualMachine by example)?
You might save a lot of problems with too old or too new Ubuntu versions and CPCEmu will run is a lot of more GNU/Linux distros.
Thanks for your work!
Retro & opensource

Emu

@CPCBEGIN:
Ubuntu: Yes, your Ubuntu system is the latest version, but nevertheless there are updates with newer versions of the applications and the libraries. In particular, GLIBC version 2.33 has been released recently and is not yet in your system. So, please try an update as described by https://itsfoss.com/update-ubuntu/, e. g., by:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y
Compiling with statically linking libraries is a bad idea from a security point of view (among others). As I already mentioned, I will intentionally compile with older dynamic libraries in the next release. This is the only reasonable way.
Android: Thank you for the videos. Looks like a security issue. Are you installing apps to an SD card or to the internal flash memory?

@PaddyC13:
Please open a command line window ("CMD", aka DOS window), browse to the CPCemu installation folder and execute
cpcemu > %TEMP%\cpcemu.txt
to redirect the text output into the given file. Then please post the content of this file.

Do you have an opportunity to test version 2.0?

CPCBEGIN

Quote from: Emu on 01:11, 26 February 21
@CPCBEGIN:
Android: Thank you for the videos. Looks like a security issue. Are you installing apps to an SD card or to the internal flash memory?
I download the apk  install like any apk, of course, I need to allow install from others.
The DSK are also un the internal memory.
Retro & opensource

PaddyC13

@PaddyC13:
Please open a command line window ("CMD", aka DOS window), browse to the CPCemu installation folder and execute
to redirect the text output into the given file. Then please post the content of this file.

Hi @Emu

Just tried the above and all the text file contains is as follows:

CPCEMU (v2.1)  -  The CPC Emulator
  (c) Marco Vieth & Rainer Loritz
             2002-2021
      -- all rights reserved --

I will now try 2.0 and report back.

Kind regards

Paddy
UK

PaddyC13

@PaddyC13:

Hi @Emu

I tried the same thing with version 2.0 and this time the text file is completely blank.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Paddy
UK

Emu

@CPCBEGIN: I found the behaviour you documented (default folder "./DISC", no browsing more than one level above) only immediately after installation of CPCemu during the very first run. Please try to stop CPCemu completely by removing it from Android's open app list. I assume that when you run it again the folders will work. Can you check this? If this turns out to be the case I will try to fix it in the next release.

@PaddyC13: Unfortunately, I have not had any luck with your problem, yet. The output log is particular strange without any errors. Can you please try to delete or at least rename %APPDATA%\CPCemu and run CPCemu again? Is there any noticable difference?

@SkulleateR: Today, I tried CPCemu on a Pi 400 and found a disgusting noise instead of CPC sound. Apparently, the audio sample rate must be 48 kHz on the Pi 400. This will be implemented in the next release. By the way, if anyone suffers from delayed sound on a Pi, try to change your screen resolution (!) to the default values of your monitor.

Livingstone

Android version cpcemu 2.1
Quote from: Emu on 01:18, 27 February 21
@CPCBEGIN: I found the behaviour you documented (default folder "./DISC", no browsing more than one level above) only immediately after installation of CPCemu during the very first run. Please try to stop CPCemu completely by removing it from Android's open app list. I assume that when you run it again the folders will work. Can you check this? If this turns out to be the case I will try to fix it in the next release.

Hi, it doesn't work.
The path begins in "/data/data/com.loritznet.softwarecreations.cpcemu/files/DISC" and when the levels are raised to the root / it only indicates "/ ../".

CPCBEGIN

I always close CPCEmu before run again, if I don't do and I launch this I can not open the top icons, sometimes the emulator hangs.

By the way, here you are a screenshot with the permissions for CPCEmu.
Retro & opensource

PaddyC13

@PaddyC13: Unfortunately, I have not had any luck with your problem, yet. The output log is particular strange without any errors. Can you please try to delete or at least rename %APPDATA%\CPCemu and run CPCemu again? Is there any noticable difference?

Hi @Emu

Thank you for your response.  I tried to rename the %APPDATA%\CPCemu folder but the OS states it is in use by another program.  The full expanded path is:

Users\Paddy\AppData\Roaming\CPCemu

I did try to do this from an Administrator command prompt as well.

Does this help?

Kind regards

Paddy
UK

Emu

@Livingstone , @CPCBEGIN : I think I now understand what the two of you are trying to do. You want to browse to the folder of some other app to open a DSK file from there. Unfortunately, such operation is not allowed by Android. You will need either to share DSK files with CPCemu from those other apps (which will copy them to the DISC folder of CPCemu) or to copy the DSK files to the DISC folder of CPCemu yourself somehow.

@PaddyC13 : Thank you for testing. I think the reason for the crash is exactly that some process locks one or more files in this CPCemu folder. I assume that if you find the culprit (maybe a CPCemu zombie process?), kill it and then delete the folder then the next start of CPCemu will work. Can you delete the folder directly after a reboot?

CPCBEGIN

Quote from: Emu on 23:58, 28 February 21
@Livingstone , @CPCBEGIN : I think I now understand what the two of you are trying to do. You want to browse to the folder of some other app to open a DSK file from there. Unfortunately, such operation is not allowed by Android. You will need either to share DSK files with CPCemu from those other apps (which will copy them to the DISC folder of CPCemu) or to copy the DSK files to the DISC folder of CPCemu yourself somehow.

NO, this was the Plan C, I try first to load from CPCEmu and try to find the path where I must to copy the DSK without success.

Can you make a video how to load dsk in the emulator? There is a lot of people can't load them.

You can use an app to capture video on Android or ScreenScream than show phone screen on PC and save with OBS Studio or Vokoscreen by example.
Retro & opensource

SkulleateR

Got the same problem here, seems the path is /DATA/DATA/COM.LORITZNET.SOFTWARECREATIONS.CPCEMU/FILES/DISC/ but I cannot find this path on my entire phone, there isn't even a DATA Folder in Root, only DATA Folder is in ANDROID, but thats it

Even tried to search for hidden files/folders, no joy .....

PaddyC13

@PaddyC13 : Thank you for testing. I think the reason for the crash is exactly that some process locks one or more files in this CPCemu folder. I assume that if you find the culprit (maybe a CPCemu zombie process?), kill it and then delete the folder then the next start of CPCemu will work. Can you delete the folder directly after a reboot?

Hi @Emu

Rebooted and renamed the folder.  I tried starting CPCemu from the command line with redirection to a text file and got the same as before with 2.1:

CPCEMU (v2.0)  -  The CPC Emulator
(c) Marco Vieth & Rainer Loritz
             2002-2021
      -- all rights reserved --

If I delete the folder, then CPCemu recreates the folder but still crashes.

Does this help?

Kind regards

Paddy
UK

Livingstone

Indeed, but in order to copy dsk's to the DISC directory, root permissions are required because the program is installed in a protected directory.
Is it not possible that the program allows to choose the dsk's files from the "sdcard" folder?

Emu

@Livingstone , @CPCBEGIN : Thank you for not giving up! You are right, this is indeed a security issue of Android. I've been working on it for a few days and came to a similar conclusion as Livingstone. The files need to be stored in what Android calls "external storage" (not necessarily an SD card, there is also "primary external storage" in the integrated flash memory). I'm sorry that I didn't find this problem myself. The modified version is already working. I hope to release it soon.

But still one question: Have you tried to share a DSK file with CPCemu from your file explorer or your browser? This has always worked for me, yet.

@PaddyC13: I'm sorry, but I don't have any improvements in your case. I will create a special cpcemu.exe file that reports after each of the first commands. So you will be able to tell me where it stops. It's a strange thing as normally CPCemu outputs reasonable error messages.

PaddyC13

Quote from: Emu on 09:19, 03 March 21
@PaddyC13: I'm sorry, but I don't have any improvements in your case. I will create a special cpcemu.exe file that reports after each of the first commands. So you will be able to tell me where it stops. It's a strange thing as normally CPCemu outputs reasonable error messages.

Hi @Emu

I would be happy to help in testing.  To my knowledge, this PC is not unusual in any way (famous last words!)...

ThinkPad E460 Laptop
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz
16.0 GB RAM
512GB Samsung 860 PRO SSD
Windows 10 Home, 20H2, 19042.844

It does have an AMD Radeon R7 M360 dedicated graphics card onboard - should that make any difference?

Kind regards

Paddy
UK

SkulleateR

But still one question: Have you tried to share a DSK file with CPCemu from your file explorer or your browser? This has always worked for me, yet.

Silly question : How should I do that ? If I "share" a DSK file it can only be send by whatsapp or bluetooth or something like that, no way to share it with CPCEmu ?!?

CPCBEGIN

Yes, but when I share a DSK from my file explorer my phone doesn't offer me CPCEmu, only Telegram, Whatsapp, etc...
How can you get to share this files with CPCEmu?

Don't care about this, we try your new version, this is the process to fix software with betatesters  ;)
Retro & opensource