News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPCemu 2.0 released

Started by Emu, 22:45, 07 January 21

Previous topic - Next topic

Emu

@PaddyC13 : Here are some questions that I should have asked you two weeks ago:

• To which folder have you installed CPCemu? Is it %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\CPCEMU-2.1?
  • When starting CPCemu, are you asked for a language?
  • What is the content of %APPDATA%\CPCemu after you started CPCemu? Is it empty?
  • After you start CPCemu from CMD with "cpcemu > log.txt 2>&1" (the last part is important, there are no spaces between 2 and 1), what's in "log.txt"?

Emu

I've just released version 2.2 with the following features:

• Setup option to use arrow keys as joystick (Thanks to @Ythcal for the proposal!)
  • Main menu rearranged and size increased for small screens (Android, iOS)
  • Better output in CRT-monitor mode ("Video mode=1", including better window behaviour for desktop versions)
  • Better emulation of the HSYNC signals ("blacker than black", relevant for some demos as Dreamend and Camembert 4)
  • Fixed errors: Folder sharing on Android, sound output, poke database (Android, iOS)
Download available at: https://cpc-emu.org/download.html

@CPCBEGIN , @SkulleateR : Please check the folder sharing on Android, again. Unfortunately, there is a similar problem on iOS, which I have not been able to solve, yet.

megachur

Hello,

Juste something about the 3 dsks you provide in the archive :
Batman Forever (Disk 1 side A).dsk , etC.

It seems to have been generated with "Arnold".

The track number (after "Track-Info") seems not good...
for track 00 it is ok but
for track 01 it is not good :
see at #1400
at #1410 the track number is wrong = #02
it should be #01 !
then for others tracks, the track number are real track number * 2 = #04, #06, ..., #52 !!!

compare also with the C (cylinder number of the sector id) which is good in this files !
but in fact, it could be different (for some rares disk protections), so we can not take the C from the sector id and correct the track number.. the file is wrong !
compare with the correct dsk on cpc-power.com if you need an example of good dsk !

Also, congratulations for the improvement of your emulator !

Emu

I don't have a clue where I got these DSKs from. I will use the correct ones in the next release.

How did you notice?

megachur

this was luck !

I just tried the dsk in my own cpc emulator and found something wrong when I started the demo !

Then I found where was the error...

PaddyC13

Quote from: Emu on 15:32, 13 March 21
@PaddyC13 : Here are some questions that I should have asked you two weeks ago:

• To which folder have you installed CPCemu? Is it %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\CPCEMU-2.1?
  • When starting CPCemu, are you asked for a language?
  • What is the content of %APPDATA%\CPCemu after you started CPCemu? Is it empty?
  • After you start CPCemu from CMD with "cpcemu > log.txt 2>&1" (the last part is important, there are no spaces between 2 and 1), what's in "log.txt"?

Hi @Emu

Thank you for your reply.  I just installed 2.2 and tried it (just in case) but alas I get the same result.

The answers to your questions:

To which folder have you installed CPCemu? Is it %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\CPCEMU-2.1?

"C:\Program Files (x86)\CPCEMU-2.1\"

When starting CPCemu, are you asked for a language?

No

What is the content of %APPDATA%\CPCemu after you started CPCemu? Is it empty?

It is empty

After you start CPCemu from CMD with "cpcemu > log.txt 2>&1" (the last part is important, there are no spaces between 2 and 1), what's in "log.txt"?

CPCEMU (v2.2)  -  The CPC Emulator

(c) Marco Vieth & Rainer Loritz
             2002-2021
      -- all rights reserved --

Does this help?

Many thanks

Paddy
UK

CPCBEGIN

I try new CPCEmu 2.2 and all linux versions runs very fine in:

• x86-64: in my i7.
  • x84: in an old pentium 4.
  • arm: in my raspberry pi 400 with raspberry pi OS.
But I still can't load external dsk in android version, now I see the complete path but when I try to switch to a external folder I can't see anything in it.
Also, if I close and open the emulator in android, sometimes hangs or doesn't show the action icons.
Retro & opensource

Livingstone

Now version 2.2 for android does not install, :'(
what is the minimum version of Android?

Emu

@CPCBEGIN : Can you browse to the files of CPCemu with your file explorer app? Can you share DSK files from your browser?

@PaddyC13 : There is now a test version available for download: https://cpc-emu.org/Release/2021-03-14/cpcemu_setup_checkpoints_v1-win32-x86-2.2.exe. Please install it as usual and start CPCemu. It should display checkpoints. Please report the maximum checkpoint reached. We will do the same thing for the subroutine following this checkpoint with sub-checkpoints.

@Livingstone : Please try to uninstall CPCemu before installing the new one (drag it into the trash can). Does this help? Up to which point does it work? Not at all? Are you asked for a language at least?

Emu

@CPCBEGIN : I just tested browsing on an Android 5.0 tablet - it works. Then, I looked into the Android documentation and found that there is a special privilege required for browsing starting from a certain Android version (apparently, 6 or 7). However, this special privilege should be used only if the core function of the app is file handling, which is not the case for CPCemu.

As I am going to publish CPCemu in the play store, I won't be able to require this special privilege. My only option would be to require it only for the APK downloaded from my website, so I would have to build two different versions. The question is if the browsing feature is that important.

I assume that both sharing and using a file explorer would be enough for most users. What is your opinion?

PaddyC13

Quote from: Emu on 22:30, 18 March 21
@PaddyC13 : There is now a test version available for download: https://cpc-emu.org/Release/2021-03-14/cpcemu_setup_checkpoints_v1-win32-x86-2.2.exe. Please install it as usual and start CPCemu. It should display checkpoints. Please report the maximum checkpoint reached. We will do the same thing for the subroutine following this checkpoint with sub-checkpoints.

Hi @Emu

Thank you for this.  I have installed your debug version and when I select the CPC128 option, it gets to checkpoint 8.  I also tried the CPC464 option and it gets to the same check point also.

Hope this helps.

Paddy
UK

Livingstone

Quote from: Emu on 22:30, 18 March 21

@Livingstone : Please try to uninstall CPCemu before installing the new one (drag it into the trash can). Does this help? Up to which point does it work? Not at all? Are you asked for a language at least?

I have not been able to install version 2.2 with your instructions.
I have a table with Android version 5.1.1.
The only version of cpcemu that I can install is up to 2.1.
:(
:( :( :( :( :( :(

SkulleateR

@Emu

New Version installs fine on Android 10 Phone and now I can go to file browser and do an "Open with" and then CPC-EMU is present in the list, that works so far ... but I really think it would be better (like other emulators) to let you define a "Roms" folder (or disk maybe) where you can put all your DSK files and open it from disc menu inside the emulator, this would be less confusing ...

P.S : does the Arm Version now run on 64 Bit (just a quick question before I test) ?

CPCBEGIN

Quote from: Emu on 22:58, 18 March 21
@CPCBEGIN : I just tested browsing on an Android 5.0 tablet - it works. Then, I looked into the Android documentation and found that there is a special privilege required for browsing starting from a certain Android version (apparently, 6 or 7). However, this special privilege should be used only if the core function of the app is file handling, which is not the case for CPCemu.

As I am going to publish CPCemu in the play store, I won't be able to require this special privilege. My only option would be to require it only for the APK downloaded from my website, so I would have to build two different versions. The question is if the browsing feature is that important.

I assume that both sharing and using a file explorer would be enough for most users. What is your opinion?
I think that most new devices use around Android 10 and we can load dsk friendly is essential.
You can ask to other authors of emulator how they solve this problem.
I'd wait to solve this problem and the hangs when you open the emulator again before publish in Play Store.
Retro & opensource

Emu

@PaddyC13 : Thank you for testing. Apparently, the issue is connected to the window creation. Are you sure you entered "2>&1" when creating the log file? Anyway, please find the next iteration here and report the result: https://cpc-emu.org/Release/2021-03-14/cpcemu_checkpoints_v2-win32-x86-2.2.zip

@SkulleateR : There is a folder "DISC" where you can put your DSK files (or ZIPs). You should see its location below the "Insert Disc" window in the red border. Ah, perhaps it's out of the visible area if you have a small screen, I will check that. But I agree, it would be nice to have a menu item that opens some kind of file explorer. I have to check if there is some kind of "default application" for file browsing on Android. I've never heard of such a thing.

@Livingstone : I found the problem, but not the exact reason. It has to do with the CRT emulation (video mode=1) if you have a screen with less than about 1000 pixels in the vertical direction, but I don't understand why it happens at the very first start where "video mode" is 0 by default. So, I've added a check for the screen resolution. I hope this will work for you: https://cpc-emu.org/Release/2021-03-14/cpcemu-android-multicpu-2.2.1.apk

@CPCBEGIN : I think I won't be able to request the file browsing privilege. But perhaps the idea of SkulleateR is the next best thing (make the file explorer pop up from CPCemu with the DISC folder). If this is not possible on Android, we need to fall back to browsing to the DISC folder manually. I think one can set a bookmark there to find it again faster. But, of course, CPCemu must display the location of the folder. I will check this. Regarding the hangs: How can I reproduce them? Is CPCemu in a certain state when they occur, e. g. in the main menu or in an open window?

PaddyC13

Quote from: Emu on 22:00, 19 March 21
@PaddyC13 : Thank you for testing. Apparently, the issue is connected to the window creation. Are you sure you entered "2>&1" when creating the log file? Anyway, please find the next iteration here and report the result: https://cpc-emu.org/Release/2021-03-14/cpcemu_checkpoints_v2-win32-x86-2.2.zip

Hi @Emu

Thank you for your reply.  I have just run the above EXE and get a dialog box stating...

cpcemu.exe - System Error

The code execution cannot proceed because SDL2.DLL was
not found.  Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Paddy
UK

Livingstone

Quote from: Emu on 22:00, 19 March 21
@Livingstone : I found the problem, but not the exact reason. It has to do with the CRT emulation (video mode=1) if you have a screen with less than about 1000 pixels in the vertical direction, but I don't understand why it happens at the very first start where "video mode" is 0 by default. So, I've added a check for the screen resolution. I hope this will work for you: https://cpc-emu.org/Release/2021-03-14/cpcemu-android-multicpu-2.2.1.apk

Hi first, thank you for fighting to find a solution.

I think because of the compilation I can't run the APK installation package

With version 2.1 there is no problem, but with 2.2 and 2.2.1 the message that my tablet with Android 5.1.1 gives me is this:
"AN ERROR OCCURRED WHEN ANALYZING THE ANDROID PACKAGE "

Emu

Argh, it was too late for me last night.

@PaddyC13 : I'm sorry. I forgot to mention that the zip archive contains cpcemu.exe only and that you have to copy this file to the installation folder (overwriting the previous cpcemu.exe).

@CPCBEGIN : Thanks, this message will help to find the primary problem. In the meantime, I also found that there are ways to open a file explorer if there is one installed, but they are not reliable for different explorers. I also noticed that the Android 5 browser does not hand over a file to CPCemu when downloading a file, but a URL. So I still have to add a download routine.

Emu

@SkulleateR : Meanwhile, I have created and uploaded the 64-bit ARM version for the Raspberry Pi: https://cpc-emu.org/download.html.

SkulleateR

Quote from: Emu on 23:17, 20 March 21
@SkulleateR : Meanwhile, I have created and uploaded the 64-bit ARM version for the Raspberry Pi: https://cpc-emu.org/download.html.
Nice, I'll try tomorrow :)

PaddyC13

Quote from: Emu on 17:17, 20 March 21
@PaddyC13 : I'm sorry. I forgot to mention that the zip archive contains cpcemu.exe only and that you have to copy this file to the installation folder (overwriting the previous cpcemu.exe).

Hi @Emu

No problem.  I have copied the EXE to the installation folder and re-tested.  This time, the latest dialog box states Screen 8.

Kind regards

Paddy
UK

Emu

@Livingstone : It appears to be a naming problem of the APK, but I don't understand why this does not occur in version 2.1, and why this does not happen to everybody. Version 2.1 does work on the same device?!?

@PaddyC13 : Thank you for the report. Probably, I found the reason. I requested hardware-accelerated graphics, assuming everybody has one, today. In the following version, I removed this condition but left in the remaining check points, please test: https://cpc-emu.org/Release/2021-03-14/cpcemu_checkpoints_v2-win32-x86-2.2.zip

PaddyC13

Quote from: Emu on 16:34, 21 March 21
@PaddyC13 : Thank you for the report. Probably, I found the reason. I requested hardware-accelerated graphics, assuming everybody has one, today. In the following version, I removed this condition but left in the remaining check points, please test: https://cpc-emu.org/Release/2021-03-14/cpcemu_checkpoints_v2-win32-x86-2.2.zip

Hi @Emu

Thank you for your reply.  I have tested with the new EXE and I get exactly the same result as before i.e. it gets to the Screen 8 dialog box.

Just to clarify, my PC in a ThinkPad E460 laptop with an Intel Core i7 6600U processor (Intel HD Graphics 520).  In addition, the laptop has dedicated graphics in the form of an AMD Radeon R7 M360 with 2GB RAM.

Hope this helps.

Paddy
UK

SkulleateR

@Emu

Thx for this ARM 64 Bit Version, works fine here, tested some gaes on it so far ....

BUT !!!! Can you implement an Option to turn the sound down ? I got my System sound at minimum but CPCEmu is still VERY loud ....

Emu

@PaddyC13 : I'm sorry, again, I pasted the wrong link. I'm afraid I'm getting old. "v2" was the previous test version, of course we're at "v3" now: https://cpc-emu.org/Release/2021-03-14/cpcemu_checkpoints_v3-win32-x86-2.2.zip

@SkulleateR : I've also noticed that CPCemu is quite loud under some conditions. Actually, I would have supposed that it still is governed by the system's audio settings (setting a maximum output level). I have to look if I need to explicitly set a flag for this behaviour (which would be strange in my opinion).