News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

iXien

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 10:31, 15 June 21

Oh don't kid yourself sir, it's still awkward and still easy to mess up the gears at times. Not as bad as the joypad though, but it's still not ideal. :)
It will always remember me the wasted of just using the Atari 1 button joystick as a standard on 8/16bit computers while all the systems were ready for 2 or even 3 buttons without any hardware modification. But hey, it all belongs to history, we're not going to remake the world  :P
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: iXien on 10:37, 15 June 21It will always remember me the wasted of just using the Atari 1 button joystick as a standard on 8/16bit computers while all the systems were ready for 2 or even 3 buttons without any hardware modification. But hey, it all belongs to history, we're not going to remake the world  :P

Not gonna lie, I was thinking the exact same thing when I replied but I didn't want to be captain obvious either.  :laugh:
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

iXien

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 11:51, 15 June 21

Not gonna lie, I was thinking the exact same thing when I replied but I didn't want to be captain obvious either.  :laugh:
I will be Captain Obvious for today, no problem  :P
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

Phantomz

Quote from: Johnny Olsen on 20:43, 14 June 21
Don't expect too much.
I do not know much about the gx4000.
Do you have the address to the level select key?
Is the corruption a crack error or is there also an error on

"Super Cycle (UK) (2 faces) (1986) (UK retail version) [Original] [TAPE] .zip"

from cpcpower?

@Johnny Olsen

I believe the corruption is due to a crack error, but haven't tried the cdt.

I couldn't work out how to change the level select keys to make them fully work.

They are here....

3A F4 67 E6 02 CB 27 4F 3A F5 67 E6 03 B1 CB 47 20 04 3E 01 18 0E CB 4F 20 04 3E 02 18 06 CB 57 20 08 3E 03 32 4B 4D C3 B6 7D CD FA 67 3A F3 67 CB 77 28 B2 C9 3A 7E 5B 53 5D 4D 4F

I change to the following to get UP and DOWN to change to 2 and 3.

3A F6 67 E6 03 CB 27 4F 3A F6 67 E6 03 B1 CB 47 20 04 3E 02 18 0E CB 4F 20 04 3E 03 18 06 CB 57 20 08 3E 03 32 4B 4D C3 B6 7D CD FA 67 3A F3 67 CB 77 28 B2 C9 3B 7E 5B 53 5D 4D 4F

ALSO

3A F5 67 CB 57 = ESC TO PAUSE

Phantomz

Here is another game.

DEATH STALKER

The game is now Joypad/s only.

On the Trainer Screen " ESC-ENERGIE INFINIE ", Press Button 1 for Cheat, Button 2 for Normal Game.

INGAME

Joypad 2 Button 1 = Turn Music On / Off
Joypad 2 Button 2 = Pause / un-pause
Console Pause Button = Quit Game

There are 2 versions included, one with UP on the D pad, the other using Button 2 for UP.

Johnny Olsen

@Phantomz please try this level select code

ORG &7E03
LD A,(&67F6)
BIT 2,A        ; LEFT
JR nZ,NEXT1
LD A,01
JR KLAR

.NEXT1
BIT 1,A        ;DOWN
JR NZ,NEXT2
LD A,02
JR KLAR

.NEXT2
BIT 3,A        ;RIGHT
jr nz,next4
LD A,03

.KLAR
ld (&4D4B),A
JP &7DB6

nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
.NEXT4

Phantomz

Quote from: Johnny Olsen on 20:43, 17 June 21
@Phantomz please try this level select code

ORG &7E03
LD A,(&67F6)
BIT 2,A        ; LEFT
JR nZ,NEXT1
LD A,01
JR KLAR

.NEXT1
BIT 1,A        ;DOWN
JR NZ,NEXT2
LD A,02
JR KLAR

.NEXT2
BIT 3,A        ;RIGHT
jr nz,next4
LD A,03

.KLAR
ld (&4D4B),A
JP &7DB6

nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
.NEXT4

@Johnny Olsen

Thanks for that, it's working great.  8)

Just need the ingame controls doing now, and maybe a new crack if graphic bugs can't be fixed.

Shaun M. Neary

Been watching the last couple of pages of this thread with interest.
I just want to give everyone thanks for the effort for what they're doing with Super Cycle. That would be really awesome to play flawlessly on the GX. :)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Johnny Olsen

@Phantomz How many level's are there?
Are there the same number of level's on tape as on disk?
I do not think the cracked tape version contains all level's
Multi load game is hard to crack, requires a lot of time, especially when one is not good at it. :(
Which key's combination do you want to use?

;Super Cycle level select code.
;Disc

ORG &7d17
LD A,(&67FC)
BIT 2,A        ; LEFT
JR nZ,NEXT1
LD A,01
JR KLAR

.NEXT1
BIT 1,A        ;DOWN
JR NZ,NEXT2
LD A,02
JR KLAR

.NEXT2
BIT 3,A        ;RIGHT
jr nz,next4
LD A,03

.KLAR
ld (&4D50),A
JP &7cca

nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
.NEXT4

Phantomz

Quote from: Johnny Olsen on 16:34, 18 June 21

Multi load game is hard to crack, requires a lot of time, especially when one is not good at it. :(

@Johnny Olsen

I'm not sure how many level's there are to be honest as I'm not familiar with the game.
The same goes for the differences between the tape and disk version.

Maybe @iXien , @Shaun M. Neary might be able to give some information about differences and suggestions on control combinations.  ;)

Shaun M. Neary

@Phantomz There are 12 tracks in total in Super Cycle on both tape and disk versions.

You've a couple of control options from what I can see. You can have button A for accelerate, button B for brake and up and down for gear up and gear down.

You could also have up for accelerate, down for brake and button a for gear up and button b for gear down?

Not sure how easy it would be to implement though.

iXien

Quote from: Johnny Olsen on 16:34, 18 June 21

As said @Shaun M. Neary the content of the game itself is the same but be careful, there is a difference in the intro. The disc version offers an intro sequence with a music and a high-score table swapping with the title screen. It's very nice but it means that this intro sequence has to be patched too, including the save-on-disk high-score table that requires keyboard to type your name too. The tape version is perfect for GX-4000. Wee loose the music but there is no high-score table to by-pass.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: iXien on 19:38, 18 June 21
As said @Shaun M. Neary the content of the game itself is the same but be careful, there is a difference in the intro. The disc version offers an intro sequence with a music and a high-score table swapping with the title screen. It's very nice but it means that this intro sequence has to be patched too, including the save-on-disk high-score table that requires keyboard to type your name too. The tape version is perfect for GX-4000. Wee loose the music but there is no high-score table to by-pass.

I can't speak for anyone else but personally, the music and the HST don't mean too much for me on this game. In fact the HST is a hindrance for the GX due to the lack of keyboard.

I'd go for the tape version. Well I would if I knew what I was doing!!

iXien

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 19:41, 18 June 21

I can't speak for anyone else but personally, the music and the HST don't mean too much for me on this game. In fact the HST is a hindrance for the GX due to the lack of keyboard.

I'd go for the tape version. Well I would if I knew what I was doing!!
Clearly, it would be perfect to be able to use a clean tape version as the lack of the useless highscore table to patch compensates the need to sacrify the little music  8)  But if only disk versions are clean...

Phantomz

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 18:58, 18 June 21
@Phantomz There are 12 tracks in total in Super Cycle on both tape and disk versions.

You've a couple of control options from what I can see. You can have button A for accelerate, button B for brake and up and down for gear up and gear down.

You could also have up for accelerate, down for brake and button a for gear up and button b for gear down?

Not sure how easy it would be to implement though.

Thanks for that @Shaun M. Neary

It answers the following asked by @Johnny Olsen

Quote from: Johnny Olsen on 16:34, 18 June 21@Phantomz How many level's are there?Are there the same number of level's on tape as on disk?I do not think the cracked tape version contains all level'sMulti load game is hard to crack, requires a lot of time, especially when one is not good at it. :( Which key's combination do you want to use?

Hopefully he can help get a fully working version.  8)

Phantomz

Quote from: iXien on 20:08, 18 June 21
Clearly, it would be perfect to be able to use a clean tape version as the lack of the useless highscore table to patch compensates the need to sacrify the little music  8)  But if only disk versions are clean...

I'd be happy to find a version that hasn't got corruption and isn't compressed so that the changes can be made.

If the disk version needs to be worked on then the following might help.   ;)

@Johnny Olsen

& 2E10

EE 21 BA 2C BE 28 E8 FE 0D 20

TO

EE 21 BA 2C BE 28 E8 FE 00 00 = ANY KEY TO SKIP, SO JOYPAD 2 OR CONSOLE PAUSE BUTTON

or it can be skipped all together by changing....

EE 21 BA 2C BE 28 E8 FE 0D 20

TO

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 = SKIP HIGH SCORE

RockRiver

What about Plus2CPC ???
https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/plus2cpc-plus-cartridge-slot-for-the-cpc/

CPR  (cpc classic) converted to gx4000 would run on CPC464 ?

then a new game console is born ... gx3000 or

or gx2000 or gx464 ha ha ha  8)

Phantomz

Quote from: RockRiver on 09:36, 20 June 21
What about Plus2CPC ???
https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/plus2cpc-plus-cartridge-slot-for-the-cpc/

CPR  (cpc classic) converted to gx4000 would run on CPC464 ?

then a new game console is born ... gx3000 or

or gx2000 or gx464 ha ha ha  8)

The Plus2CPC device looks great, will have to look into getting one.  8)

To be honest, if people want to use cpr's on that, then they are better off using the nocart program and making their own cpr's instead of using the one's converted for the GX4000.

The converted cpr's will run and work ok, but the keys have been remapped to make it GX4000 friendly, so you might not be able to use the keyboard to play the game, or redefine the keys you wish or enter your name in the high score table etc.

Like I said, it looks like a great device, but think it's better to use untouched games for fast loading.

It might also be worth using games that have been converted that let you use two joysticks like Barbarian and Way of the Exploding Fist, or game where two button support has been added so you don't need to press the space bar. or waggle like with Wizball.  ;)

Johnny Olsen

@Phantomz

&2e10 Makes no sense, it's in the middle of level code. I can't find your string.

eto

Quote from: Phantomz on 13:17, 20 June 21The converted cpr's will run and work ok, but the keys have been remapped to make it GX4000 friendly, so you might not be able to use the keyboard to play the game, or redefine the keys you wish or enter your name in the high score table etc.

Depends! This is not the case if you are using a gamepad or two-button joystick on the CPC. I don't like normal joysticks anymore and only use gamepads or an arcade joystick with 2 buttons, so the modified CPR is perfect. And since highscore tables can't be saved anyway on a CPR (and rarely aren't at all) this is not really important.

RockRiver

Quote from: eto on 09:41, 24 June 21
gamepads or an arcade joystick with 2 buttons, so the modified CPR is perfect
Plus2CPC + C4CPC would be the "everdrive" for classic CPC... waiting 'classic' front-end by Gerald

Phantomz

Quote from: Johnny Olsen on 09:35, 24 June 21
@Phantomz

&2e10 Makes no sense, it's in the middle of level code. I can't find your string.

@Johnny Olsen

Odd!

Try using the the following cpr and highscore snapshot, you should be able to find and change the string in winape then.  :)

Phantomz

Quote from: eto on 09:41, 24 June 21
Depends! This is not the case if you are using a gamepad or two-button joystick on the CPC. I don't like normal joysticks anymore and only use gamepads or an arcade joystick with 2 buttons, so the modified CPR is perfect. And since highscore tables can't be saved anyway on a CPR (and rarely aren't at all) this is not really important.

I get what you're saying and yes you can use the cpr's on a cpc with a two button joystick or gamepad, I'm just saying the games are targeted for the GX4000 really.

Therefore if someone wants to play on the keyboard, they might not be able to redefine the controls to what they want, this is why I made some of the games joypad/s only, as I had to make the pause and quit option available on joypad 2, therefore someone wouldn't be able to redefine g and f for an example.

If people are happy using the GX4000 cpr's fair enough, just saying some people might like to make their own using nocart.  ;D

Johnny Olsen

Quote from: Phantomz on 13:11, 24 June 21

Try using the the following cpr and highscore snapshot, you should be able to find and change the string in winape then.  :)

Now I'm with, I focused on the tape version and changing the keys.
I have tried several different version looks they all have graphics bugs.

Phantomz

Quote from: Johnny Olsen on 18:59, 24 June 21
Now I'm with, I focused on the tape version and changing the keys.
I have tried several different version looks they all have graphics bugs.

This is the problem, can't find a cracked version without graphics bugs.  :doh:

Only the disc version has the high score table, I don't think can use the disc @iXien posted as it looks compressed, unless you can work some magic around that?