News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPCemu 2.3.3 released

Started by Emu, 23:00, 07 July 21

Previous topic - Next topic

Fran123

Hello
I write |sd , save"hello" , cat and I can see the new file, but I can't see the new file on linux file system inside cpcemu-2.3/SDCARD or cpcemu-2.3/SDCARD/M4
Then, where is the file?

SkulleateR

Quote from: Fran123 on 10:43, 13 July 21
Hello
I write |sd , save"hello" , cat and I can see the new file, but I can't see the new file on linux file system inside cpcemu-2.3/SDCARD or cpcemu-2.3/SDCARD/M4
Then, where is the file?

There's a hidden folder in your home dir called ".CPCemu" , inside you find SDCARD and your saved files ...

If you're using terminal just enter "cd ~/.CPCemu"

Emu

@SkulleateR :
I found the problem. It was a newbie error, "strcpy" with overlapping strings, shame on me. It occurred only on 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS, the other OSes (including 32-bit Raspberry Pi OS) are more tolerant as it appears.

While looking for the bug, I've also found that the SDL message-box system does not work on 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS, either. So I reverted to printing status and error messages to the terminal window, but on all other operating systems it is possible to keep SHIFT pressed while exiting from CPCemu to bring up a log of the messages.

So, there is a v2.3.2.1 available now, but for the Raspberry Pi only. The other versions should still work as expected (including the SHIFT-on-exit option).

GUNHED

Quote from: ajcasado on 12:15, 12 July 21
Yes, the application ROManager 2.37 for FutureOS.
Oh, that works? Great!  :) :) :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

SkulleateR

And I can confirm that |romup and |romupd now works fine  ;D

Great work @Emu ... This is absolutely my fav emu for Pi platform now for testing  8)

ajcasado

Quote from: GUNHED on 16:33, 14 July 21Oh, that works? Great!   
Well, I have not tried it using CPCEmu. :-[
CPC 664

Empiezas a envejecer cuando dejas de aprender.
You start to get old when you stop learning.

GUNHED

Quote from: ajcasado on 21:54, 14 July 21
Well, I have not tried it using CPCEmu. :-[
It's a good test for the emulator anyway.  :) :) :)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

CPCBEGIN

Quote from: Emu on 19:09, 11 July 21
@SkulleateR , @CPCBEGIN :Please try v2.3.1. I don't claim my case-sensitivity solution to be perfect, but it appears to work.
I try 2.3.1 in my Ubuntu 20.04 and I have the same problem, only can change to dir or run files with all letters in uppercase.
I also try Android version but I still can't open external DSK (Android 10).
Retro & opensource

SkulleateR

Quote from: CPCBEGIN on 15:33, 15 July 21
I try 2.3.1 in my Ubuntu 20.04 and I have the same problem, only can change to dir or run files with all letters in uppercase.
I also try Android version but I still can't open external DSK (Android 10).
AFAIK the final solution for upper/lower case was with 2.3.2 ....

CPCBEGIN

Quote from: SkulleateR on 16:04, 15 July 21
AFAIK the final solution for upper/lower case was with 2.3.2 ....
Sorry, I said 2.3.1 but the Ubuntu version I probe was 2.3.2... by the way, the number of version doesn't show correct in wellcome screen.
Retro & opensource

HAL6128

It's a little bit pitty that there's no built in assembler with in the Emu. But with RASM you are able to code directly into the SD drive and makes an easy work flow.
The first Emu which supports working and developing for the M4 board. The webinterface is not necessary and the Emu has a built in hack possibilities.
Very nice, great work.
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

ajcasado

Quote from: GUNHED on 21:57, 14 July 21It's a good test for the emulator anyway.  :) :) :)
Ok, I tested it and found several bugs, I'm using Manjaro Linux.

-Saving the config file causes sometimes that in the configuration file the path of the sdcard is erased (M4_SD_PATH = "). The final statement (end;) also.

-Restarting the emulator causes all roms (but the lowest one) flashed with |romup command (and ROManager tool) to be corrupted.

-Flashing several roms must be done from the highest numbered one to the lowest, if a higher numbered rom is flashed all the lower numbered roms are corrupted.

-Between |romup commands the command |romupd must be issued, otherwise only the last |romup command take effect.

-FutureOS installer fails to install its roms but ROM -D-. The roms must be flashed using the |romup command.  I wrote a small basic program to do it (see attachment). Roms numbers must be configured with the FutureOS provided tool.

-When using the default rom numbers of FutureOS it cannot be booted. The numbers must be under 16 for FutureOS to start properly.

-In FutureOS runinng an application corrupts the date and time values when using the M4 as RTC.

-If ROManager is used in FutureOS all the roms with lower number than the modified one are corrupted, same behaviour as with the |update command.

Despite the bugs CPCemu is very handy, I think that emulating the M4 is a great and very useful achievement, congratulations. 8)

CPC 664

GUNHED

Thanks for all that testing.

So, it would be great to have 32 ROMs.  :) :) :)

roudoudou

Quote from: GUNHED on 00:08, 17 July 21
So, it would be great to have 32 ROMs.  :) :) :)
i do not understand why emulators are limited to 16 (wtf?) or 32 ROMs... => gogogo to the maximum => 256!
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

ajcasado

Quote from: GUNHED on 00:08, 17 July 21So, it would be great to have 32 ROMs.  :) :)

The 32 roms works ok. I tested with booster rom in slot 15 and the bombjack 3 roms pack form the wiki roms list in slots 29, 30 and 31.
Bomb jack runs ok from this slots.

EDIT. It works, but the |m4help command doesn't show correctly the rom names in slots 30 and 31.
CPC 664

Emu

@GUNHED : What do you mean by "to have 32 ROMs"?

@roudoudou : The M4 Board provides only 32 slots. I emulate an M4 Board. So, I provide 32 slots. I'm not even sure if the M4 ROM is able to handle more than 32 slots. If there is anybody really in need of more than 32 slots, he (or she) can mount them manually (and outside of CPCemu) in cpcemu.cfg. If you need more than 32 ROMS configurable from within the CPC I can discuss it with Duke.

@ajcasado : Where can I find this booster rom? Are roms 30 and 31 listed with wrong names or as the usual "BASIC"?

Emu

@CPCBEGIN : It appears that the bug with strcpy is present with Ubuntu's libc, too. So, I will release v2.3.2.1 for Intel Linux, too.

By the way, I have submitted CPCemu to the Google Play Store recently. Let's see if it complies with all their requirements. As I had already written earlier, I had to remove the permission to access other folders than those of CPCemu.

ajcasado

Quote from: Emu on 20:39, 17 July 21@ajcasado : Where can I find this booster rom? Are roms 30 and 31 listed with wrong names or as the usual "BASIC"?

You can download it from here: https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/ROM_List

This thread explains how it works: https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/programming/understanding-booster-rom/

I put it in slot 15 using config.cfg.
You can get also 32 roms initialised using the firmware 3.1 lower rom from TotO, is also in the ROM list page of the wiki, but I cannot get it working in CPCEmu. When emulation starts the screen scrolls in a closed loop and no input is possible. I tried to use it changing the slot 255 configuration in config.cfg.
The names seems to come from a buffer where the file names used with |romup command are stored, see it in the attached screenshot.

CPC 664

ajcasado

Quote from: ajcasado on 21:13, 16 July 21-When using the default rom numbers of FutureOS it cannot be booted. The numbers must be under 16 for FutureOS to start properly.

Well, that is not true. I flashed them in roms 28, 29, 30 and 31 with the booster rom in slot 15 and it boots. But with no booster rom and the default rom numbers (10, 16, 17 and 18) it doesn't boot.
CPC 664

ajcasado

Another issue that I found is that you cannot navigate upwards in the directory tree using the M4 Frontend from Abalore.
CPC 664

GUNHED

Quote from: Emu on 20:39, 17 July 21
@GUNHED : What do you mean by "to have 32 ROMs"?
Upper ROM slots from &00 to &1F (0-31).  :)

CPCBEGIN

Quote from: Emu on 20:48, 17 July 21
By the way, I have submitted CPCemu to the Google Play Store recently.
I can't find CPCemu in Play Store, can you provide us a direct link to download the emulator from Google Play Store?
Retro & opensource

SkulleateR

@Emu

Some really odd things happen ...

1. when disabling M4 in cpcemu.cfg the installed Roms will be still mounted
2. emulating CPC464 with M4 : inserting a DSK makes the emulation crash, parados rom works (|DRIVE)
3. emulating CPC6128 with M4 : inserting DSK works but parados rom won't work at all
4. disabling M4 in CFG, then emulating 6128 -> parados still mounted, DSK works and parados also works

Emu

Oh, wow, that sounds bad. I will look into all of these issues as soon as possible, but I have to travel from Wednesday to Friday of this week.

@CPCBEGIN : The Play Store was only a teaser. I submitted CPCemu, but this means that Google has to check (review) it before it is published. Yes, and Google currently reports "We're experiencing longer than usual review times", so be patient, please.

@GUNHED : Why do you think that these slots don't work in the M4 emulation?

Emu

I'm still investigating the strange behaviour with some ROMs. Currently, I have not even a clue if the bug is in the M4 ROM or in the emulator.

Meanwhile, I have released v2.3.2.1 for Intel Linux, too. This should fix the directory problems.

Perhaps this would be worth a separate thread (@CPCBEGIN ): CPCemu for Android is now available in the Google Play Store for the first time!