News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad relative 3D printing thread

Started by genesis8, 19:25, 08 July 21

Previous topic - Next topic

genesis8

Hello,
if you dont mind, could we put in this thread all the 3D prints useful for our Amstrad CPC, Notepad (PCMCIA type 2 card adapter for example), PCW, PC ?
Some link to prints are already in some other threads, I will try this week-end to put them here.

My first link : https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=amstrad&type=things&sort=relevant
If you are in Paris or can go in Paris, I can eventually print something for you at cost (rounding upper euro for electricity as the cura slicer gives a filament price estimate), price can be lowered with a lower quality print, less infill (density of the inside printing), etc...
Beware, I can't print all day and night, supervising a printing is safer (possible fire hazard), so printing will be limited to week-ends.

SkulleateR

Got myself no 3D Printer or any links but I love the idea  8)

@genesis8

Great collection of models there

Gryzor

That's a lovely collection. Now I want a printer.

Bryce

I can print parts too, but don't ask me to print an entire 464 case!

Bryce.

Gryzor

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:43, 09 July 21
Now I want a printer.
Quote from: Gryzor on 10:57, 09 July 21
...pretty please?

Oh alright then. You have my permission to buy yourself a 3D Printer.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Oh thanks so much! I'll also forward you my wife's phone number so you can convince her for permission too, is that ok?

genesis8

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:02, 09 July 21
Oh thanks so much! I'll also forward you my wife's phone number so you can convince her for permission too, is that ok?
Hmm, I have a clone at home, she thinks it's a waste of electricity...

Bryce

Quote from: genesis8 on 15:58, 09 July 21
Hmm, I have a clone at home, she thinks it's a waste of electricity...

A cloned wife, or cloned printer?  ::)

Bryce.

eto

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:02, 09 July 21I'll also forward you my wife's phone number so you can convince her for permission too, is that ok?

Does she have any hobbies? Like e.g. sewing? There are SO many addons and helpers on Thingiverse for that kind of stuff. It's pretty obvious that lots of men have to design stuff for their wifes. Let the information about this stuff slip through and when she says "oh that's cute, I want one" - then you have almost won!

Animalgril987

So, get her to "persuade" me that we need a 3D printer? Very sneaky, I like it :D :D

Gryzor

Haha yes, her hobbies, as far as time allows: Sega MD, adventure and old platformers, drug (the boring kind) research.

genesis8

Gryzor

Oh that's nice even though the key tops are wrong and the wear on the is excessive. Also you can go into the case but it's not populated :)

Anyhow, really nice but can't really bring myself to pay the price.

Animalgril987

Tape is running at Play speed in wrong direction too.

Bryce

It looks impressive, but many details are wrong:
Tape counter has the numbers in the wrong order/direction. The main case shape is wrong at the back. Key shape is wrong. slots blocked etc. For someone who doesn't own or know the CPC that well it looks genuine though.

Bryce.

genesis8

Interesting video, if you print news keys for a keyboard, how to "write" with a laser on the key, french inside :

https://youtu.be/kVRbqeYjoog
Beware laser machines are very very dangerous for the eyes, never user such a laser and be in the same room without special glasses, no kid around allowed !

e-dredon

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:02, 09 July 21

If you need a third party to convince with your wife when you want to spend 180$ for a Chinese FDM printer, there might be some serious issues with your couple ;)
Tips... You can fix that silly microwave doorlock that always breaks for a few cents, printing a new hook ;)

Gryzor

Quote from: e-dredon on 17:38, 06 October 21
If you need a third party to convince with your wife when you want to spend 180$ for a Chinese FDM printer, there might be some serious issues with your couple ;)
Tips... You can fix that silly microwave doorlock that always breaks for a few cents, printing a new hook ;)

What made you think the price is the problem (though it's quite presumptuous, if I may add, to think it should not; not everyone has a spare $180 lying around for silly stuff, sad as it may sound)?

ajcasado

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:24, 07 October 21What made you think the price is the problem

Risk of fire and plastic vapor condensing in microparticles that go to your lungs are two good reasons.
CPC 664

Empiezas a envejecer cuando dejas de aprender.
You start to get old when you stop learning.

Gryzor

Of course. Especially with a small kid in the house. Space is another issue, which I was mostly referring to, because I wouldn't even have had the chance to explain the hazards :D

Also we've had the same microwave oven for, I think, 12 years on now, still locks fine.

eto

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:01, 07 October 21Also we've had the same microwave oven for, I think, 12 years on now, still locks fine.

You could easily change that if you really wanted...

Animalgril987

Isn't vandalising a microwave in order to justify a 3D printer just a LITTLE bit over the top ? :D

e-dredon

Gryzor: No offense. I thought the TWO smileys were talking loud.
The question is do you REALLY need a 3D printer ? or is it better looking for 3D printing services ?

From my own (small) experience:
I own a Creality Ender 3V2 and I spent sooooooooooooooo much time and some significant extra money trying to get some descent prints.
The glass bed that came in the box is a bit curved. I could never get a proper first layer without using tricks like gluesticks.
I ordered a new glass bed
+15$. It didn't help much...
I have added a BL-Touch (a sensor that is supposed to help you to calibrate the machine and level the bed).
+15$
To get it to work I had to flash a non official firmware on the mainboard AND on the screen (the support with the official one is quite poor. The one I flashed creates a 10x10 matrix with the sensor and generates a level map so you don't need to probe all the points on each print).

Then I had retractions issues. I tried many tweeks with Cura. Then I upgraded the extruder (aluminium single gear then dual gear) and had to change the bowden tube for a PTFE that might help with flexible filaments.
+12$
This already adds an extra 50$ cost + The filament wasted for the many BAD prints or tests...
I finally ended up compiling my own MARLIN firmware...
To find the optimal temperature, I need to build a temp tower for EACH different filament I purchased to reduce angel strings and various other issues... The one on the spool tag basically never gives the best result even though I checked the sensor accuracy.
About the presumably toxic fumes and particles. I use mostly PLA (just gave up trying ABS or Nylon). So there are no toxic fumes. Considering the particles accumulated on the nozzle silicone insulator, well, I would not stay in the room while the machine runs (Anyway stock fans are insanely loud NO one want to live in a server room, do we ?). And I installed the printer close to a window door.
My conclusion after 10 months using this device with very little satisfaction. 3D printers era is just at the beginning. Consider it as buying an experimentation gadget. Not a production hardware (Specially the Chinese clones).

Do you still need to convince your wife ? ;)
Mine considers it's a waste of money. I do consider owning 26 handbags is another one. So we have a deal. She can buy handbags and I can spend for gadgets as long as we can pay for the bills and provide for the needs of our little one to keep everyone happy.

Regards,

ajcasado

I had similar experiences with a Chinese Anet A8, a lot of failed upgrades plus almost geting fire in my house due to bad cabling to the heated bed. After that I used a smoke detector to cut power to the mosfet drivers for the bed and the extrusor.

As i cannot get this thing to work properly in a consistent manner I ended up convincing my boss to buy an Ultimaker S5 Pro bundle for the workplace. Even this one has his hard tricks to get it working properly.

I don´t recommend buying a cheap and unsafe one to anybody unless the only wanted goal is to experiment frustration and risk.
CPC 664

Empiezas a envejecer cuando dejas de aprender.
You start to get old when you stop learning.