News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Doom for SymbOS

Started by Prodatron, 23:15, 29 September 21

Previous topic - Next topic

Prodatron

Here is a port of zDoom from the TI-calculators (TI83/84) to SymbOS by NYYRIKKI (an MSX legend) with some optimizations (unfortunately only 20% so far) by myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL3d7LqM0lY
It's a very funny and cool project, these zDoom guys did a great job, and NYYRKKI as well for his courageous step, I just hope that I can increase the speed even a little bit. Raycasting stuff already takes most of the cpu time.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

SkulleateR

XeNoMoRPH

Mother of god !!!! ...
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

HAL6128

Never expected this for a CPC. Crazy people. Like it. :)Looks incredible! A smooth real time ray-casting + opponents together is a tough challenge!
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

Gryzor

Skunkfish

One less reason to own a PC  ;D
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

megachur

Quote from: Prodatron on 23:15, 29 September 21
Here is a port of zDoom from the TI-calculators (TI83/84) to SymbOS by NYYRIKKI (an MSX legend) with some optimizations (unfortunately only 20% so far) by myself:
For sure, you're one of the best z80 coder of the world !!!

Congratulations and I hope you will finish it soon !

Prodatron

Sorry, had to modify this post several times due some problems with publishing it.
DOOM now has a better HUD and some more improvements.There is still a lot of things left, which can be improved :)

Prodatron

DOOM 1.0 for SymbOS is released now.
You can download it here
http://www.symbos.org/appinfo.htm?00043

genesis8

One question related to SymbOS and this port, does SymbOS support CPC+ features, especially hardware sprites and the DMA for the sound ?
It could be interesting for SymbOS apps to use it when available.
If it isnt the case actually, could it be added later ?
Another question coming, there is already, forgot the creator sorry, a extension which permits to use a PI which could be used for many uses. Do you intent in the future to explore this road ? Thinking for example about doing data crunching on the PI instead of the Z80, no need anymore to use tables of pre-crunched numbers.

And btw I am waiting for my V9990 cartridge, can I order two Amsdap (one for plain CPC, one for CPC+) ?

Skunkfish

I gave this a try yesterday and it definitely brought a smile to my face.
Too slow and too small to be particularly playable, it is nonetheless, DOOM on our CPC's!  ;D
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

GUNHED

Very cool. Think it needed some work to make the graphic display compatible to the CPC.

Crazy idea: What do you think to have a multiplayer mode. Means you have two persons using f.e. Joystick 1 and 2 - and they play in different windows. Or would that be just silly?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Cwiiis

Quote from: genesis8 on 09:13, 05 October 21
One question related to SymbOS and this port, does SymbOS support CPC+ features, especially hardware sprites and the DMA for the sound ?
It could be interesting for SymbOS apps to use it when available.
If it isnt the case actually, could it be added later ?
Another question coming, there is already, forgot the creator sorry, a extension which permits to use a PI which could be used for many uses. Do you intent in the future to explore this road ? Thinking for example about doing data crunching on the PI instead of the Z80, no need anymore to use tables of pre-crunched numbers.

And btw I am waiting for my V9990 cartridge, can I order two Amsdap (one for plain CPC, one for CPC+) ?

I'd love to see a release of SymbOS with support for Plus colours and perhaps a hardware sprite for the cursor. I guess apps are free to do what they want wrt Plus features? Memory corruption could be a problem when mapping ASIC registers with ram extensions though...

mahlemiut

I'm pretty sure that SymbOS does support the Plus palette, although you're still limited 4 colours of course.
- Barry Rodewald

Skunkfish

I just had a play changing the four pre-set colours under Control Panel and it seemed to use the standard CPC pallette only....
Unless there's another setting I need to change first? (SymbOS v3.0)

mahlemiut

Works for me (running via MAME)...
- Barry Rodewald

Cwiiis

Quote from: mahlemiut on 22:07, 08 October 21
Works for me (running via MAME)...
I think maybe you don't understand what Plus colours are? The CPC Plus lets you set 12-bit (4 bits per component) colours for any entry in the palette. The screenshot you show there isn't showing any colours that aren't possible on a standard CPC as far as I can tell. If SymbOS supported Plus colours, you'd see a smooth change of colours as you moved those sliders.

mahlemiut

Now I'd swear this worked at some point, especially since the sliders are set for 16 levels of each colour component...
- Barry Rodewald

rzookol

hmm, regarding plus.... what about mouse pointer using different colors as hardware sprite?

GUNHED

Quote from: mahlemiut on 22:17, 09 October 21
Now I'd swear this worked at some point, especially since the sliders are set for 16 levels of each colour component...
16 levels use 4 bit. 6128plus colors use 12 bits, means 4096 levels. You got the color panel for the CPC, not for Plus.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

mahlemiut

Quote from: GUNHED on 18:40, 10 October 21
16 levels use 4 bit. 6128plus colors use 12 bits, means 4096 levels. You got the color panel for the CPC, not for Plus.
16 levels per colour component - 4 bits red, 4 bits green, 4 bits blue.  12 bits in all.
- Barry Rodewald

Prodatron

Quote from: Cwiiis on 08:52, 07 October 21
I'd love to see a release of SymbOS with support for Plus colours and perhaps a hardware sprite for the cursor.
SymbOS had CPC plus palette support all the time before the 1.0 release (erm yes, that was 2004-2006 :D ).Then there was a problem with the combination of CPC plus + SYMBiFACE II, and so I disabled this back in 2006. Maybe I can reactivate it again.I was planning to do the cursor as a CPC Plus hardware sprite as well, but this hasn't been implemented yet.

Quote from: Cwiiis on 08:52, 07 October 21I guess apps are free to do what they want wrt Plus features? Memory corruption could be a problem when mapping ASIC registers with ram extensions though...
That's right. An app could map the ASIC memory, if it is locking the interrupts and running the code inside the "transfer area" (#c000-#ffff).
But using hardware sprites for applications etc. within a GUI doesn't make so much sense, as hardware sprites are not scaleable (but usually very limited), and a flexible clipping of such sprites isn't possible at all.
You could TRY it, look at this:
https://youtu.be/DcStaA28mF0?t=480
(very cool project BTW - currently not active, but I really hope that he will continue this)

nelbazan1972

It was amazing for me to see zDoom. Yes, still in development but WOOOOOW.

I'm trying to get a memory expansion for the CPC 6128+ together with the Duke's M4 board to enjoy all the wonderful capabilities created by my near worshiped Prodatron.

Yout let me out of words. Keep going on.