Noob having problems with no input on some games

Started by xpsox, 15:04, 15 October 21

Previous topic - Next topic

xpsox

Hi Guys,

I am like day one with winape, just wanting to relive some games i played when i was a kid the problem i'm having is after loading some games they seem to be working fine but in game no input like no keys at all, i am new to Amstrad emu but have used many other's for years.  The games in particular that load but don't work that i'm really trying to play are Harrier Attack, Dan Dare and Kane. I have read through the forum and found this " [size=78%]Help with Amstrad Plus keyboard incompatibility with some CPC games[/size]" but it's a bit complicated something about patching rom's or something.  Can someone maybe point me in the right direction or even tell me if this is the correct solution.

Many Thanks Guys

xpsox

Gryzor

Welcome here!

Have you tried the joystick options? No need to bother with patching really, that's an edge case.

xpsox

I tried playing with the input settings were it shows keyboard and joystick layout but if I change to different keyboard to cpc464 or something it changes the virtual machine type to like the cpc464 with tape so dsk's I have dont run.

I'm really sorry my knowledge so poor I though maybe I was just missing something silly I will try again

Thank you so much for your time 😊

Gryzor

Is there a specific reason you want to use WinAPE? If you just want to have some fun you could try Retro Virtual Machine...

xpsox

Wow thanks for that will look at that...I got my cpc464 in like 1984 it dosent work anymore unfortunately so was really just looking at an amstrad emu for games I used to play.  Im heavy in to console modding and pc gaming the amstrad just a little novelty but been playing it all week the old games just so much fun.

Do you think the no input problem is with that emu rather than the dsk/Rom

Thanks again

Gryzor

Most probably something you can't figure out I remember having trouble setting up controllers too. But I'm not at a PC right now and can't really tell what or why, so I just proposed a simple solution, I'm sure the game files are fine. But do post again if it doesn't work!

Oh, and nothing beats the awesome joy of childhood games😊

xpsox

I have tried multiple dsk's from different place just in case one was scuffed...once I get home from work will try the retro vm.

Thanks so much for your time and help 😊

eto

Definitely try out Retro Virtual Machine. Imho the best emulator if you just want to play games. With RVM it almost feels like sitting in front of the real hardware.

Bryce

Quote from: xpsox on 15:04, 15 October 21
Hi Guys,

I am like day one with winape, just wanting to relive some games i played when i was a kid the problem i'm having is after loading some games they seem to be working fine but in game no input like no keys at all, i am new to Amstrad emu but have used many other's for years.  The games in particular that load but don't work that i'm really trying to play are Harrier Attack, Dan Dare and Kane. I have read through the forum and found this " [size=78%]Help with Amstrad Plus keyboard incompatibility with some CPC games[/size]" but it's a bit complicated something about patching rom's or something.  Can someone maybe point me in the right direction or even tell me if this is the correct solution.

Many Thanks Guys

xpsox

I think you're on the right track, but the description you read is for real CPC's not emulators. If your WinApe is currently set to emulating a CPC+ try changing it to emulating a standard 6128 and try the games again.

Bryce.

ago

Maybe those games are joystick only, so you need to use a joypad (or the num keys with WinApe).

xpsox

Hi Guys,

I tried the Retro Machine Emu and all games that didn't have input on winape were the same in RME with no keyboard, but did work on the joypad joystick emu so was able to play them all.  But some games are hard to control like doing diagonal jumps on joypad analogue stick is terrible hard to time them.

Thanks for all your suggestions I really appreciate all your help...Think I'm gonna get my cpc464 repaired or look for another...Cant emulate that amazing smell

Gryzor

I don't think I've ever tried playing those games with an analog stick!

xpsox

it's not easy...lol...but good enough to play about with :)

Gryzor

Since I'm a QAOP guy I never felt the need😀

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:35, 16 October 21
Since I'm a QAOP guy I never felt the need😀

I wasn't aware that you took Quantitative Adverse Outcomes so seriously? :)

Bryce.

Gryzor

You forget who I'm married to. I revel in pathways!

xpsox

lol...I would prefer the qaop joypad sucks when trying to play like dizzy or something, im wondering if somehow i can keyboard the joypad to keys... i'm going work it out.

Thanks