News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Rom slot 7 on CPC664 with C4CPC & M4 board

Started by ajcasado, 22:44, 03 November 21

Previous topic - Next topic

ajcasado

Hi,
I'm trying to use a unidos cpr image made with the @OffseT utility:
https://unidos.cpcscene.net/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=unidos-cartridge-creator-windows_32-bit.tgz (run under linux with wine).

When I load the cpr image with @gerald 's c4cpc the rom in slot 7 (unidos main rom) doesn't init. If I load the same cpr image with @Duke 's m4 board it boots ok.
If I use slot 6 for unidos rom it boots ok with c4cpc, but the m4 rom set at slot 127 in the m4 isn't recognised and unidos starts in degraded mode.

I'm targeting to use the c4cpc for rom slots 0-29 and m4 board for rom slots 32-63. Is this arrangement possible?

I use the c4cpc in the cpc664 with @abalore 's plus2cpc.
CPC 664

Empiezas a envejecer cuando dejas de aprender.
You start to get old when you stop learning.

TotO

I think the DOS ROM7 (logical ROM) on Plus cartridge is located at ROM3 (physical ROM). You may try that.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

ajcasado

I guess that this logical to physical management is yet well managed by @OffseT 's utility, as the cpr image runs ok in the m4 board.
CPC 664

ajcasado

This is what I get using slot 3:
CPC 664

TotO

Thank you!

So, I'm curious to see the ROM listed from the Amstrad cartridge provided with the 6128plus.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

gerald

Quote from: ajcasado on 22:44, 03 November 21
When I load the cpr image with @gerald 's c4cpc the rom in slot 7 (unidos main rom) doesn't init. If I load the same cpr image with @Duke 's m4 board it boots ok.
I use the c4cpc in the cpc664 with @abalore 's plus2cpc.
Unlike the plus range, the 664/6128 internal ROM7 cannot be disabled by an extension.
What you see is likely the result  of a bus contention between the internal ROM and external ROM (M4 or C4CPC). One solution would be to physically remove the internal ROM.

ajcasado

With the M4 Board I can replace the internal ROM7 without issues. Is the slot where I usually place M4ROM or UniDOS ROM.
CPC 664

gerald

Quote from: ajcasado on 17:17, 04 November 21
With the M4 Board I can replace the internal ROM7 without issues. Is the slot where I usually place M4ROM or UniDOS ROM.
That just mean that the M4 data bus drivers are stronger than the internal ROM ones, not that you disabled it  ;)

ajcasado

Quote from: gerald on 17:42, 04 November 21That just mean that the M4 data bus drivers are stronger than the internal ROM ones, not that you disabled it 
Fortunately the AMSDOS ROM 40015 is socketed, I detached the chip but the result is the same, ROM slot 7 doesn't initialize from the cpr image.

See the attached images from the configuration utility and the rom listing.
Quote from: TotO on 08:52, 04 November 21So, I'm curious to see the ROM listed from the Amstrad cartridge provided with the 6128plus.
I cannot make my old 664 to boot with the plus original cartridge, I guess that the firmware is not compatible.
CPC 664

OffseT

Quote from: ajcasado on 21:04, 04 November 21
See the attached images from the configuration utility and the rom listing.I cannot make my old 664 to boot with the plus original cartridge, I guess that the firmware is not compatible.
UniDOS Cartridge Creator was created with Amstrad Plus in mind. Generated cartridges should be installed in a C4CPC or burned in a real cartridge.

I have no idea of what M4 cartridge emulation or other similar hardware are actually achieving and how compatible they are with real Plus cartridges mappings. The issue might be there.

BTW, what you were suggesting actually works on Amstrad Plus: using an UniDOS cartridge for ROM in slot <32, and then M4 (or any other ROM board) for other ROMs >31.

ajcasado

Ok, so I will use the C4CPC only for playing the gx4000 converted games collection (which is actually a cool use), thanks for the info.
CPC 664