Amstrad CPC 3'' Turkish Contents with M4Wifi to PC and Internet

Started by DoctorCPC, 02:30, 14 November 21

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorCPC

I want to load the 3'' floppy disks, which are the Turkish content in my hand, to the PC environment before they get corrupted.I have asked this question before for USIFACII, but it was difficult for me. Can I do it more easily with M4Wifi? Can you tell me how to transfer a floppy disk to DSK image on M4Wifi, like telling an stupid? I have about 100 floppy disks. some are already corrupted some are standard content. this is very important for me and Turkish CPC Lovers...
My Amstrad Products: Amstrad CPC 464, Amstrad CPC 6128, Schneider CPC 6128, Amstrad NC 100, Amstrad HiFi EX330, Amstrad Fidelity CKX100 Music Keyboard, Amstrad Penpad 600, Amstrad Emailer Plus, Amstrad E3 Emailer, Amstrad VCR Programmable Remote Control, Amstrad DVD/Divx Player, Amstrad GT 65, Schneider CTM640

CPC Hardware: USIFACII, M4Wifi, ZMEM, MotherX4, GOTEK, PS2 Mouse Adapter, RSF3 (Soon), DES Mini (Soon)
PCW Hardware: GOTEK, PCWIO, uIDE (Soon), uRTC (Soon)

Editor-In-Chief / ACUC Magazine - Amstrad CPC User Club Magazine (Soon)
www.dizzyradio.com  / Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64, Amiga and Other Home Computer's Musics
www.cpcuserclub.com / +90 555 498 36 55 for adding WhatsApp Group

SkulleateR

AFAIK you can only copy all files from a disk image to the SD or files from a floppy to sd, so no imaging to a DSK file with the M4 ...

DoctorCPC

My Amstrad Products: Amstrad CPC 464, Amstrad CPC 6128, Schneider CPC 6128, Amstrad NC 100, Amstrad HiFi EX330, Amstrad Fidelity CKX100 Music Keyboard, Amstrad Penpad 600, Amstrad Emailer Plus, Amstrad E3 Emailer, Amstrad VCR Programmable Remote Control, Amstrad DVD/Divx Player, Amstrad GT 65, Schneider CTM640

CPC Hardware: USIFACII, M4Wifi, ZMEM, MotherX4, GOTEK, PS2 Mouse Adapter, RSF3 (Soon), DES Mini (Soon)

www.dizzyradio.com  / Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64, Amiga and Other Home Computer's Musics

ComSoft6128

OK, I can see that you are in a loop here.
I had the same problem and solved it by using a Gotek and the 'ManageDSK' PC utility.

Obviously you'll have to fork out for a Gotek disc emulator (£40 - £60?) but if you want a result that is easy to use and is reliable this is the way to do it.

On the CPC side of things you'll need a disc copier - Discology, Nirvana or any of the many PD copiers that are available. You could use a CPC file manager but probably better if you just use a disc copier. I use this method almost every day - the end result is relatively quick and you will have the files/data you want on a USB flash drive for use on your PC or laptop.
If you go with this method post in the Forum and I'll give you a step by step guide to the process.

Links:
https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Gotek
https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/ManageDsk

DoctorCPC

I understood very clearly. I have a bad luck. I installed the gotek emulator as an internal floppy drive. I did this stupid thing. I've been looking for an external 3'' floppy cable for a long time. If I can't find it soon, I will make an external GOTEK drive for another CPC 6128. I know this method and I am familiar with this method. We can first create an empty DSK and then copy this diskette with Discology. my mistake was to install gotek drive internally. a lot of thanks dear friend...

ComSoft6128

DoctorCPC

dear friend. I'm just discovering the m4wifi device. I think I could easily do it with that too.

Prodatron

@DoctorCPC, are you trying to write normal 3" discs (or normal Amsdos 3,5"/5,25") to a DSK? Without any strange formats or copy protections?
So you have one of these modern mass storage devices like the M4Board, the SF3, SF2, XMass? Maybe it's possible to write a native Floppy2DSK converter on the CPC.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

DoctorCPC

I wanted to make a copy of the floppy disks in the internal 3'' floppy drive with the help of M4Wifi from DSK. I'm just discovering the M4Wifi device. It's been a few days since I received my M4Wifi device. I want to copy 3'' physical discs to DSK. I have got M4Wifi. im solving. im discovering M4Wifi now. a lot of thanks for your comments

Mark_wllms

There is such a utility available for the USIFAC II board which the OP also owns. However, they have been unable to get this to work, either because they don't understand it or because there is a problem with their disks. The utility is not very resilient to corrupted or non standard format disks.

I can't see that the M4 board is likely to improve things if they are not successful with the USIFAC.

DoctorCPC

then let me try USIFACII again. let me do this with USIFACII.

DoctorCPC

Quote from: Prodatron on 23:02, 14 November 21
@DoctorCPC, are you trying to write normal 3" discs (or normal Amsdos 3,5"/5,25") to a DSK? Without any strange formats or copy protections?
So you have one of these modern mass storage devices like the M4Board, the SF3, SF2, XMass? Maybe it's possible to write a native Floppy2DSK converter on the CPC.
yes, normal 3'' discs. i want to make dsk. but i have got M4Wifi. thank you very much dear valuable friend.
Duke message:To backup discs to the microSD, you can only copy files to a subdirectory (not .dsk).
You can use |FCP command to copy all files from floppy to a directory.

|mkdir,"DISC001"    - create a subdirectory called "DISC001"
|cd,"DISC001"  - go into the directory
|fcp,"A:*","C:"  - copy all fils from disc drive A: into the directory
cat

but i solved this problem yesterday. getimg.bas is very easy way for me. only one command. i didnt floppy2dsk but ill try it. thanks again and aggain. I love CPC Community. I'm very lonely at Istanbul/Turkey. I expect i will join international CPC organizastions or meeting. i want to know you.... @Prodatron

Mark_wllms

Quote from: DoctorCPC on 07:08, 18 November 21but i solved this problem yesterday. getimg.bas is very easy way for me. only one command. i didnt floppy2dsk but ill try it. thanks again and aggain.

For reference, the utility mentioned is a reference to this thread: https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/software-related/amstrad-cpc-turkish-contents-to-pc-and-internet/

Prodatron

@DoctorCPC, thanks for your nice words, I am currently writing a Floppy2DSK tool for SymbOS.This should be able to read real CPC discs (System [#40], Data [#C0], PCW [#80]) and write it to a DSK file on a mass storage (SD card/USB stick) like M4Board, SF2, SF3, XMass). Maybe tomorrow I have some first results.

DoctorCPC

Would you consider supporting PCW disks? Brothers Amstrad CPC and Amstrad PCW. but I can't write to Amstrad PCW floppy disks on Amstrad CPC. I also can't image Amstrad PCW floppy disks. It would be great if it's supported in PCW on Symbos. I think you are supported PCW discs. is it right? @Prodatron if its real, it will be great

Prodatron

Hi DoctorCPC,

here is a little tool for SymbOS I coded today for dumping real floppy discs to a DSK file, which can be written to a mass storage device like the M4Board.

It supports CPC data, CPC system and PCW discs (180K only).
It does not support special formats/copy protected discs and it doesn't support these DD 3" PCW discs.

I was able to copy a real PCW 3" disc to a DSK file, but couldn't make much more test, as my floppy belt seems to be flabby again (it's already around 15 years old again) and has to be replaced again.

But I hope it will work. Would be fine if you can test it and report, if there are some issues left.

DoctorCPC

great app. As far as I understand, I can save PCW floppy disks as DSK. this is what i was looking for. if i can also burn these PCW dsk images it will be a great program. My M4Wifi card still couldn't run Symbos. now i will try to run it as ROM. I will try this program later. i will report it. but i didnt run symbos with all properties for M4Wifi version. i will try ROM version

DoctorCPC

Quote from: Prodatron on 16:32, 19 November 21
Hi DoctorCPC,

here is a little tool for SymbOS I coded today for dumping real floppy discs to a DSK file, which can be written to a mass storage device like the M4Board.

It supports CPC data, CPC system and PCW discs (180K only).
It does not support special formats/copy protected discs and it doesn't support these DD 3" PCW discs.

I was able to copy a real PCW 3" disc to a DSK file, but couldn't make much more test, as my floppy belt seems to be flabby again (it's already around 15 years old again) and has to be replaced again.

But I hope it will work. Would be fine if you can test it and report, if there are some issues left.

How many tracks is the Amstrad PCW Discs? Which one should I choose to format Amstrad PCW floppy? Can I take a DSK image and then burn it with this program?

Prodatron

- maybe you use the wrong SymbOS 3.0 version, which had seperate versions for M4board, SF2 etc.

SymbOS 3.1 just uses one setup which runs on all different hardware. I will send you a link soon.

- PCW discs usually use 40 tracks always. I will extend DiskDumper with an option, which autodetectes the number of tracks (41 or 42 isn't usual, it was just a hack back in the old days to extend the capacity of a disc a little bit, as the disc drive were able to move the head a little bit more outside of the usual area)

- there is another tool for SymbOS which can transfer DSK files to a real floppy:

http://www.symbos.de/appinfo.htm?00015

It's CPC only, but it can write PCW discs as well. This is what I am always using for creating real PCW discs (when doing a new release of SymbOS etc)

PS: Some years ago, a CPC guy from Turkey wrote me, who made a magazine for the CPC. Unfortunately I lost the email :( Do you know such a turkish CPC magazine?

robcfg

Keep in mind that PCW's secondary disk drives were usually double sided and double density, so 80 tracks, 2 sides with a total of 720KB.

That would explain why a dump of these as if they were the regular 180KB ones wouldn't work.

Prodatron

Quote from: DoctorCPC on 18:45, 19 November 21
My M4Wifi card still couldn't run Symbos.
Please try this:

http://symbos.org/download/preview/sym31.zip

This should work with the M4Board.
And then try the DiskDumper tool.

@Robcfg, yes, the double density drive is not supported.

DoctorCPC

@Prodatron
Thanks a lot for the shares. tonight will be a sleepless night with CPC and PCW. For the last 10 years, I have only published magazines in Turkey. The name of the magazine was BitSector magazine. I wrote a lot of Amstrad CPC articles in it. My nickname was DoctorCPC there too. I have published 3 BitSector magazines. I want to add another number. The magazine was free and published as a PDF. @Prodatron
I wanted to interview you for bitsector magazine. I was the one who sent the mail. i found you now :)

The links of the magazine are as follows.
https://software4galaxy.com/upload/educations/bitsector1.pdf
https://software4galaxy.com/upload/educations/bitsector2.pdf
https://software4galaxy.com/upload/educations/bitsector3.pdf

bitsector magazine is my magazine. I wrote all the Amstrad CPC news.

I am planning new magazine projects. but this time i want it to be in english and turkish. Unfortunately, there are few people in Turkey who have passion for Amstrad CPC. There are more people with passion for Commodore 64 and Amiga in Turkey. BitSector for him also included Amstrad CPC news but it was on other computers. At the moment, my mind is to publish the new issues of BitSector in both Turkish and English. even once a year. likewise I have a plan for an Amstrad CPC magazine but it will be in English only.

dear friend we have a CPCUserClub whatsapp group. You don't always have to write. Would you like to participate? It is enough to say +90 555 498 36 55 to your phone number, I am prodatron. I'll add you to the group right now. In this way, you will be a great power for us for the new magazine and the new works we will do. you and friends like you are the holy men of the Amstrad CPC world. indeed, the world of Amstrad CPC would not have come to this wonderful place without you and friends like you.

DoctorCPC

Quote from: Prodatron on 11:38, 20 November 21
Please try this:

http://symbos.org/download/preview/sym31.zip

This should work with the M4Board.
And then try the DiskDumper tool.

@Robcfg, yes, the double density drive is not supported.

One of the holy men of the Amstrad community is @Prodatron . There are bin files for this Symbos31.zip but maybe the ini file and Symbos folder are missing? I wanted to use it with full features. it didn't work when i downloaded version 3 from main symbos site. but there is also an extra folder and ini file there. I will try it this way. tonight will be a sleepless night. I'm just going to spend time on my Amstrad CPC and Amstrad PCW computers. But I wanted to write right away.

I really would love to come to Amstrad CPC events in other countries near at least next year. My English is not perfect, but I am one of the few people who keep this spirit alive in Turkey. I feel the passion for Amstrad when I look at what you've done to the end. I have the same passion...

DoctorCPC

symbos opens on rom, but no program is installed. In the sym31 file you sent, the boot screen appears, but this time it does not open again. Normally there should be a folder and an ini file. I wonder if they are missing. I have motherx4, zmem and m4wifi on my system. I am running on Schneider CPC 6128.

DoctorCPC

UPDATE: SYMBOS Works.... its great times for me...I have no problem reading my floppy drive. but the thin little metal pin for typing is missing. I'm thinking of plugging it into writing using a glass nail. but i can make test for image DSK. but my disc save pin lost. but i will solve this problem with glass nail.