Don't you think it's time to stop creating hardware interfaces ?

Started by krusty_benediction, 08:25, 01 December 21

Previous topic - Next topic

revaldinho

Quote from: eto on 10:15, 10 December 21

I'd love to see a generic Raspberry Pico board. It seems it's fast enough to cope with the timings and there are so many things that can easily be adapted. E.g. transform it into a graphics card with VGA or DVI output. Or PCM sound - I would expect we can easily get 4 channel SID like sound from it. Of course that's all possible with hardware but it's always expensive and requires special hardware skills. It would move from electronics skills to programming skills and reduce development times and costs significantly. It would also mean, more form the community could contribute to the development of the addons. Maybe first a simple graphics adapter and then high res modes with accelerations for drawing graphics (lines, rectangles, copying screen ram...), or more sound channels and MOD support for the sound card.

You could already do a lot or even all of this with the CPC-CPLINK card. This is all open source on Github and there's a thread on it here. You can plug a RaspberryPi Zero or even a full size Pi right into the back of the board. The connection is electrically compatible with most other MCUs so a Pico will also work with a simple cable or breadboard wire connection.

zhulien

I think part of the problem is the hardware and the other bit is definitely in using the hardware in a reasonable and hopefully compatible way.  FutureOS and SymBOS do something towards that but they are not AMSDOS.  I have started a spec and development (one day it will progress more) towards a driver standard, but as a few people here have mentioned - it might not be a good thing in the CPC World rather I should create code libraries people can link to at assemble time - but myself I still disagree.  I'd like someone's tracker music software to work with whichever sound playback hardware I happen to have without having to get a new build - and I'd like improvements in a driver to reflect within each software that uses it. 

The CPC World is fairly large, but not large enough to find a big enough group of people who are like-minded with solutions.  In some way that is ironic as we have groups that form to make awesome games, demos etc - but more often they are one-man bands.  I'd like my driver standard to evolve and ultimately adopted with my MCP prototypes (which let you multitask in AMSDOS) - but... it would be fantastic if there were a group of people to steer it and assist in it's development to resolve what the ultimate solution is - and that ultimate solution might not be my current approach (we have to start somewhere and evolve it). 

UniDOS is a fantastic example of a different approach that achieves much the same goals - and I really really like UniDOS - so much I think for it's compatibility with AMSDOS - it is actually a better solution than what I had documented for MOS.  UniDOS would have been constrained by AMSDOS, but really... the good balance of compatibility and supporting multiple storage devices at the same time, UniDOS is the BEST DOS for AMSDOS now.

grouik1er

Quote from: revaldinho on 12:17, 12 December 216

HI, do you knwon the pistrom for the amiga ?
https://github.com/captain-amygdala/pistorm

it's open source hardware, you plug it into the 68000 placement wih raspberrypi3 or Zero.
it offer a processor replacement ok BUT it will allow hardware by emulation : RTG, Storage and perharps much more in future.

What do you think about af a pistorm likefor the CPC connected to the expansion port that emulate with a raspberry a M4 board, a playcity, expansion RAM, or what you can code ?

TotO

Quote from: grouik1er on 14:23, 26 January 22
HI, do you knwon the pistrom for the amiga ?
https://github.com/captain-amygdala/pistorm

it's open source hardware, you plug it into the 68000 placement wih raspberrypi3 or Zero.
it offer a processor replacement ok BUT it will allow hardware by emulation : RTG, Storage and perharps much more in future.

What do you think about af a pistorm likefor the CPC connected to the expansion port that emulate with a raspberry a M4 board, a playcity, expansion RAM, or what you can code ?

It is not because it is an open source project that you are free to copy existing hardware, no?
In example, why the M4 should be free when it is the hard work of @Duke since years?

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

GUNHED

True. And the same for all the great expansions you did!  :) :) :)

Tot0's and Duke's expansions get sold for a price which is probably cheaper than parts anyway. Also the LambdaSpeak FS had some "sponsoring". But this doesn't mean that anybody is free to copy it - especially to make cash! Just my general opinion.
There's nothing wrong to talk to the creators and ask them if it's allowed to use their "children". Just be polite and it's all good, right?  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

grouik1er

wow misenderstood sorry,
i'm not talking about copy or making cash or anything like that, just thinking about the way the pistorm work and what it offer on amiga.A little hardware that work like a bridge to a raspberry.Raspberry that emulate hardware that's all.
A reflexion about this proof of concept.