News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

SymbOS 3.1 released

Started by Prodatron, 23:32, 30 December 21

Previous topic - Next topic

Prodatron

SymbOS CPC & MSX & PCW & EP 3.1 has been released.

Exactly 2^2 years and 2^2 months after the last one we have finally a new full release of SymbOS. It's a very hardware focused one.

After SymbOS made platform independent software for Z80 systems in a modern multitasking environment in 2006 possible it is now introducing a new era of platform independent hardware expansions for 8bit systems as well.

You can download it here:

http://www.symbos.org/download.htm

Release notes for 3.1 [30.12.2021]

Extensive hardware support

- Graphics9000 for CPC and EP: The V9990 based graphic card with its MSX origin, probably the most powerful one for 8bit systems, can be used on both the Amstrad CPC and the Enterprise 64/128 now, too. Resolutions of up to 1024x212 with 16 colours and fast graphic output is possible now on nearly all supported SymbOS platforms. This makes it possible to run about 50 different applications on three different platforms with this graphic card.
- SYMBiFACE 3 for CPC and EP: USB-mouse, realtime clock and USB memory stick with up to 2TB is supported directly in the operating system on both the Amstrad CPC and the Enterprise 64/128. Additional features of this extensive all-in-one hardware by TMT Logic can be used in specialized applications.
- PCW with uIDE and HxC direct access support: The Amstrad PCW is now able to access huge mass storage devices as well with sizes of up to 2TB. The uIDE8 interface by Jon B is supported for fast CF card access, which makes even video playback possible on the PCW. HxC direct SD card access is available as well.
- Graphics9000 with hardware mouse pointer: All G9K versions of SymbOS do now use the hardware cursor in bitmap mode, which makes a fast and flicker free mouse pointer possible.
- M4Board network RTC support: The NTP based Realtime clock of the M4Board is supported in SymbOS CPC.

Dynamic driver system for CPC and EP

- Hardware autodetection: During the booting process SymbOS CPC and EP is autodetecting all available and supported HID, RTC and mass storage hardware.
- Hardware autoselection: Available hardware will be autoselected with prioritisation of newer devices.
- CPC 1MB support: Memory expansions with 1MB or more are supported again. SymbOS will automatically switch to 1MB support during booting, if more than 576KB Ram are detected, so there is no need for a seperate version anymore.
- Minimal config for 128K systems: If SymbOS detects a system with only 128K, all additional features (extended desktop, screen saver, desktop background picture) will be deactivated automatically during booting. You will always have 31K or more free on your system.

SymAmp with advanced audio hardware support

- New driver system: A new driver-like system for including and managing hardware and sound module support has been added to SymAmp. All detected hardware is listed in a new dialogue window where you can select your prefered sound device.
- Enterprise 64/128 Dave AY emulation: The AY emulation by IstvanV and Geco is now official part of SymAmp and can play Soundtrakker 128, Starkos and PT3 modules with the Dave soundchip of the Enterprise 64/128.
- MP3 for nearly all platforms: MP3MSX and compatible sound cards (SE-ONE, SYMBiFACE 3) are now supported on the Amstrad CPC and Enterprise 64/128 as well.
- CPC PlayCity 6 channel Dual PSG: Finally we have PlayCity support integrated in the official release version of SymAmp.
- MSX Darky 6 channel Dual PSG: 6channel PT3s can be played on the MSX with the Darky catridge.
- PCW Dk'tronics AY board: SymAmp is now able to play Soundtrakker 128, Starkos and PT3 modules on the Amstrad PCW as well, if a Dk'tronics AY hardware expansion is connected.

Kernel improvements

- Memory management: The memory management has been optimized again. The system now searches for free transfer area space starting at the very end of the memory, when loading an application. This reduces memory fragmentation again.
- Relocation table handling: During loading an application the temporary relocation table is loaded to any free memory location, which can be in any 64K ram bank. This makes it possible to load applications which are using the full available 63K of one bank.

Graphics9000 fullscreen game mode

- P1 patternmode support: The Quigs IDE is now supporting screen mode P1, which provides two pattern layers, 127 sprites and up to 61 colours with a resolution of 256x212. Flappy Bird is the first game, which is using this and running on all supported platforms (Amstrad CPC, MSX, Enterprise 64/128)
- Graphics9000 interrupt handling: The kernel supports the handling of V9990 line interrupts. This can be used for enabling splitscreens in fullscreen games and will be supported by the Quigs IDE soon.

Desktop Manager

- Context menus: This new features allows an application to open a context menu at any place on the screen.
- Frame resizing and movement: The user can resize and move a dotted frame on the screen. This makes screen area selections possible.
- Modal window unclick events: The GUI sends an event, if the user is clicking outside of a modal window. This can be used for creating own complex dropdown menus.
- Transparent bitmaps: a new graphic control allows bitmaps with a transparent colour (0).
- CPC mode 1 textoutput speed: The speed of the textoutput routines has been increased on the Amstrad CPC in mode 1.

New applications since 3.0

- SymbOS E-Mail: The full functional E-Mail client is now available for SymbOS 3.1 (by EdoZ, using Quigs).
- Flappy Bird: This is the first game which is using the new Quigs IDE feature for creating fullscreen games on the Graphics9000 graphic card (by EdoZ & Trebmint, using Quigs).
- Sokoban: A very advanced implementation of the classic Sokoban game.
- ChessSym: The first chess application with a strong AI for SymbOS (by Trebmint, using Quigs).
- Doom: Play Doom in SymbOS - even multiple times! This 3D egoshooter has been ported from a TI-calculator to SymbOS (by zDoom team, NYYRIKKI, Prodatron)
- 2048: Another well-known game is now available for SymbOS as well (by Trebmint, using Quigs)
- DiskDumper: This dumps a complete floppy disc to a DSK file, used by Amstrad CPC emulators.
- VDP screen adjustment tool: Adjust the screen position and screen frequency of your MSX VDP or Graphics9000.
- Hexe: Simple Hex monitor and editor.

Miscellaneous

- Bug fixing: Bugs have been removed as usual, including the boot logo on the Amstrad CPC and PCW and the joystick handling on the Enterprise 64/128.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

genesis8

Great news, is Quigs available too ?

Prodatron

The application download section has been updated, and all new apps are available now.
http://www.symbos.org/apps.htm
Finally we passed the number of 50 apps :)
Here are some screenshots of the email client, the chess game and Flappy Birds.

Prodatron

Quote from: genesis8 on 12:11, 31 December 21
Great news, is Quigs available too ?
Yes, it has been uploaded to the website finally :)
You can find it here:
http://www.symbos.org/quigs.htm

Edoz(MSX)

The SymbOS platform is amazing! Many thanks for this major release!

XeNoMoRPH

Awesome update ... Good Job 👏👏👏👏
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Cwiiis

Awesome news :) I'd love to see more CPC Plus features in a future update - Plus palette and Plus hardware cursor seem very feasible and would be really nice little bonuses. A bit more out there, maybe Plus DMA support in SymAmp...

Prodatron

Thanks for the hint! I will try to reactivate this in the next Version.
Palette and Mouse pointer. Dma Support in SymAmp wont be easy as it still eats Most of the cpu time, but lets See.

GUNHED

Also support for LambdaSpeak would be a very nice feature.
Glad you added the M4 RTC eventually.
Lots of work done - great job!  :) :) :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

HAL6128

Wow! A great overhauled and expanded SymbOS. Sound so interesting. Looking Forward to get started.
Many thanks for your development and sharing.

Is it possible just to copy over the old files or should I take care something in case of the old INI files?
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

Cwiiis

Quote from: Prodatron on 19:17, 31 December 21
Thanks for the hint! I will try to reactivate this in the next Version.
Palette and Mouse pointer. Dma Support in SymAmp wont be easy as it still eats Most of the cpu time, but lets See.

While I'm requesting features, RTC support for the Nova board would be great too, it's super easy to interface with: https://pulkomandy.github.io/shinra.github.io/nova.html

Prodatron

Quote from: HAL 6128 on 20:45, 31 December 21
Is it possible just to copy over the old files or should I take care something in case of the old INI files?
The INI Files are still compatible so you can Just overwrite the old with the new Files. The graphics9000 Version has its own seperated INI Files now.

Prodatron

Quote from: Cwiiis on 10:34, 01 January 22
While I'm requesting features, RTC support for the Nova board would be great too, it's super easy to interface with: https://pulkomandy.github.io/shinra.github.io/nova.html
Cool, that Looks easy. Will be added soon.

m_dr_m

Amazing, such a great news!

For me, it's not yet usable as a dev environment, on the other hand the network-related tools seem stellar.

An issue/feature tracker would be great.
I will try to see if the HxC direct access issue I encountered is fixed.

Thanks Prodatron!

Prodatron

Quote from: m_dr_m on 17:45, 02 January 22An issue/feature tracker would be great.

There was a Mantis for SymbOS, I am not sure, if it still exists, I should search for it.

Quote from: m_dr_m on 17:45, 02 January 22For me, it's not yet usable as a dev environment, on the other hand the network-related tools seem stellar.

NYYRIKKI wrote a quite good tutorial how to start developing for SymbOS:

http://www.symbos.org/download/20211230-V31/SymbOS-ASM-Developer-kit-1.0.zip

QuoteSymbOS ASM-developer pack 1.0
Made By: NYYRIKKI (11/2021)
---------------------------------------------------------
So you wan't to become a SymbOS-developer, great! This OS will offer you great number of useful routines. I'm quite sure that when you get in to this stuff, you will learn to love this OS. It does not offer you only multitasking, but also other nice things like FAT32-support and networking... and here it is in a very user friendly package. Please read this file all the way as it teaches you how to navigate trough the official documentation. Personally I'm also quite n00b SymbOS developer coming from MSX background, but I want to help more people to join this great journey. Just two more classic words before we start:

D O N ' T   P A N I C

The problem with official development stuff has been that it is drop to the deep end of the pool without learning to swim first.
[...]
Maybe this helps a litte bit to make a first step :)

I guess I didn't touch the HxC since the last release. I remember that there can be a problem when switching between DSK emulation and direct SD card access on the same drive.

m_dr_m

Quote from: Prodatron on 17:22, 03 January 22NYYRIKKI wrote a quite good tutorial how to start developing for SymbOS:

Is it to develop on CPC directly? From SymbOs, allowing quick tests?

XeNoMoRPH

genesis8

I am seing your video Xeno, does someone knows if SymbOS also detects a MSX sound cartridge in an Amsdap ?

XeNoMoRPH

Quote from: genesis8 on 20:34, 06 January 22
I am seing your video Xeno, does someone knows if SymbOS also detects a MSX sound cartridge in an Amsdap ?

Well, I don't know, I have a Monster Sound FM Blaster MSX cartridge, I'll try it on the AMSDAP to see what happens, tomorrow!
EDIT: it does not detect it. with Amstrad symbOS

genesis8

I will try my MSX sound cartridges this week-end if I find time.

Prodatron

Currently two MSX sound devices are detected in SymAmp:
- MP3MSX and compatible (like the SYMBiFACE 3 and SE-One)
- Darky 6chn PSG device (dual AY)

The Darky is detected on a CPC, too, but it doesn't produce any useful sound. It requires the 3,5Mhz clock of the MSX, and so there seem to be timing issues between the CPLD and the AY chips. We have PlayCity anyway so no problem.

Next step is to support wave table based sound hardware in SymAmp.
From the MSX world this is
- Moonsound (OPL4-based) and compatible (Monster Sound, OPL4 Shockwave, Gr8net), with 24 channels of sample music
- Neotron (YM2610-based), with 7 channels of sample music

2 Years ago Maarten Loor already ported his N.O.P. Amiga MOD player to SymAmp, but it hasn't been fully debugged at this time.
That's the next big task for SymAmp now, playing MODs on a CPC was always my dream :P

HAL6128

...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

Cwiiis

I have an RSF3 now and suddenly symbos is a completely different and incredibly impressive beast... A problem I noticed though, if you try to copy a file from a disk to the mass storage in the file manager, anything over 16k will fail and causes every subsequent operation on the mass storage device to fail with the same error (which I struggle to recall now, but will update this post with later).

I don't know if this is specific to the RSF3 or to all mass storage devices. Increasing the buffer in the settings didn't help (also, increasing the buffer to 64k caused all sorts of weird corruption, so possibly that field needs some sanity checking :))

Sid_

Hi @Prodatron, I tried to install the symbos 3.1 version on my Xmass with impdos.
It starts but when I try something it returns me file not found. 
Do you plan to get symbos compatible with impdos ? 
keep on writing so amazing things ^^. 

Prodatron

Hi Sid_ :)

SymbOS supports FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 devices. AFAIK Impdos supports FAT16, so it already should be compatible.
Is there something special with the formatting or the partition?
(I wonder if I wrote a formatter tool for AST for the X-Mass some years ago...)
It is using an MBR or does it start directly with a partition?