News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Antstream - cool or not? And some nice flame wars.

Started by Gryzor, 08:39, 11 January 22

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

I'm sure you'd have gotten a second house on the royalties😬

reidrac

It makes sense for them: more offer makes it more interesting for their customer paying a subscription.

If I really cared about making money, do you think I would be making games for any 8-bit system? LOL
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Gryzor

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 06:58, 11 January 22
To be honest I got excited till I saw it's an Antstream exclusive... what has the world come to??

My sentiments exactly. Anything with those two words in it can get in the fucking bin as far as I'm concerned.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Nich

According to the text that accompanies the trailer video, it will be "later... released to the public on tape and disk". How much later, I don't know.

lmimmfn

Quote from: Nich on 22:34, 11 January 22
According to the text that accompanies the trailer video, it will be "later... released to the public on tape and disk". How much later, I don't know.
My problem with this is the concept of monitization of retro gaming, especially for new games where licensing isnt a problem(im fine with that model for Mame ROMs).

Im fine paying for retro games development for downloads or boxed versions of games, its great to support devs!

However going with Antstream for subscription service is BS even if later provided for download.
6128 for the win!!!

Gryzor

I buy most of the new releases, either in physical format or on, say, itch.io, to support the devs. But this... hmmm...

I was a backer of Antstream. I know many people don't see the point in it, but I thought, if it's not too bad it's actually worth it for the convenience of not setting anything up and not having hardware lying around. However I only used it a handful of times during my year-long membership because the title selection was shite (and no CPC in sight back then) and the interface was bad beyond logic.

Anyhow, the point is, I do see the point in a service like this, but... launching platform exclusives? Oh come on :D

Xyphoe

Guys, it's just getting released their exclusively first! Everyone later will get a tape/disk file to play on emulators. For free.

It's a free game, on a free service, that's anyway coming free to everyone shortly after.
I don't get the issue or where monetisation comes in here?  :picard:

Just so we're clear this is YellowBelly's game, he's kept everything secret/hidden from me apart from the 2 screens you see in the vid. I just wrote a tune for the game (again that you hear in the trailer). I'm just honoured he put me in the game.

So YellowBelly is best to answer here rather than me. However I'm 99% sure he's not getting any money from Antstream for it (some independent devs can negotiate that, but I think it's extremely rare or never happened before).

The one thing Antstream is really good for is that it has online leaderboards that update live for people's score in a game. Special challenges can also be set.
The game has been designed as a high score / score attack game - with online leaderboards and challenges - with the ability of Antstream to do that exactly in mind.

That's something that's actually kinda cool, and we hold weekly tournaments in my community and on Twitch around games in Antstream because of this feature, that's proving quite popular and good fun. I guess this was the seed of the idea here... to have an online Amstrad game that we can all play together and compete against each other!
(It's something I've been desperate to find a solution for, and I've been working with a guy to get an 'online emulator' sort of thing setup so we can have 2 player games playing with or against each other online - eg imagine playing co-op Target Renegade with your mate in another city/country! Anyway I digress...)

At present, the plan I believe is for the Amstrad emulator version to have additional content too.

But anyway, YellowBelly is just trying to get more exposure for the Amstrad and his game. Before his Bug's Quest game, there was ZERO Amstrad content on Antstream, and we started a mini campaign for this a long while back. YellowBelly got the 1st Amstrad game there, and soon will be getting the 3rd one on there - and isn't taking any money from Antstream for it.

Hope that clears it up, apologies if the trailer wasn't clear - but that was the script to go with for the 1st teaser, and we were going to release more details as the release date approaches.

eto

Honestly, even if he gets some money, that is totally fine.

Everybody is probably aware that you have to invest time into a game, but there is also money that you have to invest. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Directly or indirectly.

E.g. I needed a new Laptop as my old one got very hot when running an emulator, which was not feasible for me to continue with (otherwise it would have been fine to keep the other one). Also for the artwork which I couldn't do myself, I had to pay licenses just to be sure I won't get sued if I publish it on my web page. Finally for the physical edition, I had to buy some stuff including some tools to properly make them. Of course I can use all of this for other stuff than the game or for the next one - but it wouldn't have been bought if it wouldn't have been for the game.

Probably for others it would be less as they already have the right tools, can do the artwork, or don't bother to make a physical edition. But even the Pizzas they got delivered while programming at night are something, that is an investment. And it's fine if there is at least some kind of monetary support afterwards.

So if anyone releases the game and you like it - at least every now and then - reward the effort - buy the physical release or send a Paypal donation for a coffee - and at least don't judge anyone for getting a bit of the money back, especially not, if you still get the game for free.

yellowbelly

Wow, I don't understand the negativity on here.
RE: Monitisation, i Gave this game to Antstream and get no royalties.
I raised over £3,000 selling copies of my previous game "Bugs Quest" which all went to Macmillan Cancer.
So this is no fiendish way to make money.
As Xyphoe said, the game was made with his community challenges in mind and engineered this way to run on Antstream for that purpose.
DSK files and CDT files will become available at a later date as i change it to run on real hardware, so including keyboard controls etc.
This is only my 2nd game i have ever made so sorry it doesn't live up to your standards not having masked sprites.
whether you like or dislike Antstream, I thought people would just be happy for another new game for our beloved CPC, but apparently not.
Yellowbelly

Shaun M. Neary

Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

Opinions.

Monetisation? No problem with that. I have bought most of the games that were sold, either physical or purely digital. When on itch.io I always pay more than the asking price. I dislike Antstream, and lack of CPC games is one reason (as if it's going to open up by a time-limited exclusive). It bothers me because I have to *pay* for another service I don't want or need instead of paying the dev directly. Extra features? Cool, I like that, doesn't mean it couldn't be released outside of Antstream.

But I'm not being overly sensitive about it, moving on etc, so I wouldn't understand the opposite reaction either.

Shaun M. Neary

This thread could turn into "Gryzor's nightmare"  :laugh:

Gryzor

Someone please do that game. Do include a toddler refusing to eat or pick up the stuff he throws around, and an engineer boss who thinks he knows about marketing.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:56, 14 January 22
Someone please do that game. Do include a toddler refusing to eat or pick up the stuff he throws around, and an engineer boss who thinks he knows about marketing.

Bad day at the home office, T?  ;) :laugh:

norecess464

Go go go @Xyphoe !! I think you are doing an amazing work !
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

Xyphoe

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:24, 14 January 22
It bothers me because I have to *pay* for another service I don't want or need instead of paying the dev directly
Hold up, dude - you are aware that Antstream is free to use and play for everyone right?

They dropped the subscription thing well over 2 years ago now.
Instead you get some adverts pop-up in the interface, which can be removed by paying.

lmimmfn

I also didnt realise Antstream was free now, also didnt realise YellowBelly has extra work to do to make it work on actual hardware.

Most of us are Amstrad hardware nuts and pretty much exclusively play CPC games on original hardware. Thats where the crux of the matter came from but based on the posts its understandable now
6128 for the win!!!

Gryzor

I stand corrected on that front, didn't know. With this model I find I have some use for it-quickly check out a game (if it's on the platform). But emulators are much more accessible...

Gryzor

Mmmyeah doesn't work for me. Very restrictive regarding gems and I can't watch ads on my ad blocking device...

Vyper68

Don't you think you're being overly sensitive over this? People don't always have the same opinion as you. There are others on here who would support your original plan to put this on Antstream.
Paul Woakes - Genius & Programmer

Thank you for Mercenary Paul

yellowbelly

@viper68

If you look at it from my point of view, Xenomorph shared the video, it was then attacked immediatly by a moderator who represents CPC Wiki, making various assumptions and
criticisms alongside others. I am just a Guy who wants to get my CPC games out and played by a veriety of people. I make NO money out of it and thought i would be welcome here but the opposite is apparent. Anyone on here that wish to get the game etc can do so via another platform, Xyphoe regularly updates on his YT channel.
CPC Wiki and those that represent it (moderators) have shown they don't want my input or games by going straight on the attack. This is my 1st proper interaction with CPC Wiki and My 1st impression isnt too good.
any way i have 2 more cpc games to make before the end of the year and need to focus on them next.

Gryzor

Shaun M. Neary

@yellowbelly You know I've no beef with you, but the harsh opinions were more aimed at antstream than the game itself. If you can can point out where the actual game itself was criticised or bashed in any way shape or form from any of us, feel free to quote it.

Truth if the matter is, a lot of people aren't mad on Antstream, I'm one of them and I'll stand by it. I find it awkward as hell even with the ads. But from what I gather that's where the slamming was directed at.

Bit of an overreaction to withdraw contributions and information to the forum when all that was criticised was the platform, don't you think?

Gryzor

Thanks-don't have the time to write as much, but I'd put my name under your post!