News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Boulder Dash without keyboard?

Started by bernhard.fabricius, 15:15, 14 June 22

Previous topic - Next topic

bernhard.fabricius

Hi

I have Boulder Dash working on the Caprice32 (32-bit version) emulator and a SpeedLink Competition Pro Extra USB Joystick, and it works like a charm - I feel transported back nearly 40 years!

I have one issue, though: The game demands two hits on the Enter key to get to Joystick mode (then you confirm and carry on with the Fire1 button), and that is a pain since I want to run it on a micro PC without a keyboard.

I've tried solutions like AutoHotKey with "Joy2::Enter" but the emulator evidently reads the scan-code, not the translated value so that was a no-go - and starting the on-screen keyboard (which I can map the Fire2 button to) is a pain since it is noisy and slow - not to mention user-hostile (it is for kids to play - honestly  :P)

So I was wondering if anyone has an idea on how to jump to where the "1 Player 1 Joystick" has been selected. My Z80 assembler knowledge is, to put it mildly, rusty. (Back in the day we "no-op'ed" the countdown of "lives" to have infinite play.)

Cheers

Bernhard

TotO

Hi!

May be a patched version to run on GX4000 already remap the enter key?
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

bernhard.fabricius

Quote from: TotO on 15:23, 14 June 22Hi!

May be a patched version to run on GX4000 already remap the enter key?
Ah - yeah, that would make sense. Where does one go about finding that?

TotO

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

Or you could load a snapshot instead? 

Gryzor

By the way that list that @TotO linked to will be a treasure trove for your case 🙂

bernhard.fabricius

Found a cpr file, changed to 6128+ - and all's well.

THANKS HEAPS!

Bernhard

TotO

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:50, 14 June 22By the way that list that @TotO linked to will be a treasure trove for your case 🙂
And they can be used on a real CPC through the Play2CPC too! 8)