You pay the postage - Amstrad CPS8256 Centronics/Parallel/RS232 Serial Interface

Started by ComSoft6128, 14:38, 15 May 22

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

Free to a good home.

I'd much prefer the above goes to someone who will USE IT and not flog it on Ebay in a month or stick it in a drawer.

The case has yellowed but the interface was working fine when removed from my PCW and placed in a sealed bag 20+ years ago. I expect that it is working OK now but can't guarantee that.

This offer is not limited to the UK.

cj7hawk

Is this still available?  If be interested in reverse engineering it and making the schematics available for future generations of collectors.  It doesn't matter whether it works or not, as long as I can tell what kind of chip it was and its still possible to find.

Thanks
David

ComSoft6128

JonB

The schematics are already available... It uses a Z80DART and Intel 8253. This is my first attempt with a MAX222 to handle the RS232 voltages rather than the Amstrad circuit.

JonB

..and here's the board layout..

I would have gone into production but there was zero interest.

cj7hawk

Quote from: JonB on 14:50, 07 June 22..and here's the board layout.

Sorry Jon, I  meant to post earlier and thank you for posting this - it too will come in very helpful. It's always a challenge when you put a lot of work into something and it doesn't lead anywhere, but having a schematic and a basic board layout will also help.

I tend to make a lot of single-sided boards, so people can make them at home. It can be a challenge to make a complex computer board in a single side, but that's part of the fun :)

I did respond earlier, but must not have hit post, so still wanted to take the time to thank you for posting the schematics.

David

ComSoft6128

You'll be glad to know it was boxed up yesterday and will be posted tomorrow :)

JonB

Quote from: cj7hawk on 12:51, 16 June 22
Quote from: JonB on 14:50, 07 June 22..and here's the board layout.

Sorry Jon, I  meant to post earlier and thank you for posting this - it too will come in very helpful. It's always a challenge when you put a lot of work into something and it doesn't lead anywhere, but having a schematic and a basic board layout will also help.

I tend to make a lot of single-sided boards, so people can make them at home. It can be a challenge to make a complex computer board in a single side, but that's part of the fun :)

I did respond earlier, but must not have hit post, so still wanted to take the time to thank you for posting the schematics.

David

A single sided board for this would be proper challenging methinks!

GUNHED

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 14:38, 15 May 22I'd much prefer the above goes to someone who will USE IT and not flog it on Ebay in a month or stick it in a drawer.

I feel you so much! And you're so right! When selling the last 20 units of LambdaSpeak some went into drawers, that's just wasted.  :( Expansions shall be used.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

cj7hawk

Use, it will definitely see, though not heavy use as I use my Amstrads for Pleasure rather than Work.

And they have this smell, most likely from the monitor's capacitors since I still need to chance some of them, that just takes me right back to the 80s, and that high pitched sound that tells me it's on even when I can't see the light.

David