News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Blinky Scary School - GX4000

Started by XeNoMoRPH, 06:01, 06 June 22

Previous topic - Next topic

TotO

Quote from: Axel on 11:09, 24 June 22Please keep in mind, that the Atari ST is equipped with the same soundchip like our sweet CPC. So it really can pass as a 16bit-Game!
Not really... You can do more advanced sound on a ST using the 68000 than the Z80 on CPC. Now, using the Plus DMA it can be really amazing.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

andycadley

I think the more important question is, when do you start on Titanic Blinky?  :laugh:

Gryzor

Yeah, as @TotO said, the ST did really have better sound in the end despite the similar chips. But who cares :)

Axel

The soundchips are identical. Three squares and one noise.
With more CPU-Power and RAM you can pimp the soundchip with more sample-stuff, four-voice-sample-mix-music or tricks like the pseudo-PWM. But very often not during a game, only for titelsound.

Mostly the ST-Versions of a game sounds like the versions for the Amstrad, although sometimes they used a higher sounding pitch for reasons, makes the sound brighter but thinner.

Neil79

Hopefully we see a release later this weekend or next week! :D
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

BSC

I beg to differ as the AY and the YM are NOT identical (it's a bit of nitpicking, I know, but still..), the internet is full of articles dealing with that, here is a nice overview:

https://maidavale.org/blog/ay-ym-differences/
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

Axel

The biggest Sound-difference between ST and CPC is:

The CPC has got an audio out, so you can play magnificent  three-channel-stereo-sound about big speakers that can shake the whole world.

The ST can't do this. You only hear the mono sound of the inbuild mono-speaker (monitor). There is no audio-out.  :'( :( >:(

Gryzor

You can isolate the monitor pin and get sound from there. The STe has two audio out RCAs. I had speakers for my 1040STFM, pretty easy to do 🙂

TotO

At end, obviously, they are many differences betwen the ST and CPC sound. :-*

Return to Blinly, this game looks very well done. Congratulation! :)

I have read the graphics will be improved to take part of the Plus/GX palette, may be the sound will have some improvements too? Anyway, it is very nice to see it coming.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Axel

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:30, 25 June 22You can isolate the monitor pin and get sound from there.
In full stereo?

eto

Quote from: Axel on 13:49, 25 June 22
Quote from: Gryzor on 10:30, 25 June 22You can isolate the monitor pin and get sound from there.
In full stereo?

Unlike the CPC the ST does not provide stereo. The 3 channels of the soundchip are mixed to a single channel. Only the STe, TT and Falcon provide DMA stereo sound but even for them, the YM is mono.

TotO

AY in mono allows nice things by combining the channels. Having it on the STe + stereo PCM is a good balance.

Gryzor

The ST has a much better sound than people believe because of most games, actually... 

Axel

Yes. Listen to "Wings of death" titelmusic. A combination of digi and soundchip, sounds even better than the Amiga-Version in my opinion.

Quote from: TotO on 15:07, 25 June 22AY in mono allows nice things by combining the channels. Having it on the STe + stereo PCM is a good balance.
Agree. But you can get similar things with the AY-Chip in stereo  by combining a side channel with the middle channel. It is not the same, not that intensive. But you can still get that kind of frequenzmodulation.

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Gryzor

dthrone

Just tried it out on my GX.  It looks very nice, really crisp, colourful graphics.  It's certainly comparable to the 16bit versions, far beyond the 8bit versions IMO!  Great work! 

DanyPPC

CPC 464 with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 464+ with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 6128+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive Emulator

Axel

I love that soundeffect when you die! Nice graphics, good game!

Animalgril987

Quote from: BSC on 20:36, 24 June 22I beg to differ as the AY and the YM are NOT identical (it's a bit of nitpicking, I know, but still..), the internet is full of articles dealing with that, here is a nice overview:

https://maidavale.org/blog/ay-ym-differences/

Listening to "wat is luv" on that link, I preferred the AY version.

Maniac

BSC

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 19:26, 25 June 22game is OUT !!!!
Looks really good, well done! I have to give it a go somehow. 

Speaking of which: How do I run this in an emulator? 
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

XeNoMoRPH

Quote from: BSC on 18:41, 26 June 22
Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 19:26, 25 June 22game is OUT !!!!
Looks really good, well done! I have to give it a go somehow.

Speaking of which: How do I run this in an emulator?
LOAD file CPR with CPCEC by example with "Open any file" option menu.

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

dlfrsilver

Quote from: Axel on 16:47, 25 June 22Yes. Listen to "Wings of death" titelmusic. A combination of digi and soundchip, sounds even better than the Amiga-Version in my opinion.

The Amiga version of Wings of Death digimusic has been made buggy since day one. 

Stingray fixed it for whdload 2 or 3 years ago (bad since the game was released in 1990).

The game colors palette is also fucked up (calculated on 512 colors, but the amiga palette is done on a range of 4096 colors).

They also failed the title picture : instead of doing it in ham, they did it wrongly and buggy with the copper.... 

All this for that :/

Axel

And the ingame-music sounds like very memory-saving kind of instruments. Nonetheless very nice to listen to, because Jochen Hippel was the composer.

The successor "Lethal Xcess" is bigger in every discipline. Seven-Channel-Titelmusic, ingame-music with more "meat" (also by Jochen Hippel). And more muscular visuals. 

I like both games. Good stuff from Thalion. 

...and (back to topic) I like Blinky Scary School! Gradually the game-palette for the Plus-CPC/GX grows with high quality material.