News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Reading a topic automagically downloads PDF

Started by eto, 10:41, 26 July 22

Previous topic - Next topic

eto

When I open this thread here https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/gate-array-decapped!/msg218068/ my browser automagically downloads this PDF: https://acpc.me/ACME/DOCS_TECHNIQUES/SERVICE_MANUALS/CPC464_neue_Platinenversion_SCHNEIDER_Service_Manual%5BENG%5D%5BGER%5D%28acme%29.pdf

The PDF is referenced in one of the posts in the thread, and I think this definitely should not happen as it could cause a potential security threat if documents are downloaded in the background just by reading a post. 

eto

now it also downloads the document when I read this thread here ;-)

Gryzor

trocoloco

eto

Poliander

@Gryzor 

It is because the PDF in that thread is not only linked but also embedded but this is not supported by all browsers equally (IMHO that feature should also be disabled for security reasons)
Schneider CPC 664 • X-MEM • Vortex F1-X Drive • CTM 644 • DMP 2160
Schneider CPC 6128 • Z-MEM • M4 Board • MultiPlay + Amiga Mouse • OSSC

robcfg

It happens to me on both threads.

MacOS 10.15 Catalina and Chrome.

Safari on the other hand, embeds it correctly.

Gryzor

Still not back at my desk. Mobile browser works fine. I'll try desktop mode after posting this and perhaps disable it when back. 

Gryzor

Desktop mode works as expected. Maybe because for me, the embed has a prompt in it to open the pdf, so maybe it's a browser setting? 

Shaun M. Neary

Doing it for me as well. Win 10 / Chrome
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

Ah yeah it does it on my desktop browser. Lemme check the settings...

Gryzor

@Poliander is right, this should also be disabled for security reasons, but of course also for usability reasons as well.

I'm running into some permissions issues with the server so I'll have to abandon it for now, but will do soon, and will let you know.

poulette73

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 12:53, 26 July 22Doing it for me as well. Win 10 / Chrome
same problem for me, Windows 10 & Chrome

Gryzor

Ok, I think I managed to fix it? At least for me PDFs don't auto-open now.

TotO

I do not have the problem with OSX 10.15.7 and Safari 15.5
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

robcfg

Yep, looks like it's not happening anymore.

Thanks!

poulette73

All is OK now, thank's very much !  👍

Gryzor

Thanks for the confirmation guys. If you notice any other embeds having been broken, let me know because I updated a bunch of stuff behind the scenes...