News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Field Hockey or Netball games

Started by sigh, 17:12, 04 August 21

Previous topic - Next topic

sigh

Watching the olympics, I hadn't realised that field hockey is the third most played sport in the world behind football and badminton.
It is also the 4th most popular sport in the world, so I decided to try out a field hockey game but can't find anything.
There are a few badminton games but not many.

I also haven't seen any netball games either.
Anyone know if Field Hockey and Netball games exist?

sigh

Old thread, but I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPXCrKBpCZM

Anyone know anything about this game? It is not on CPC Game Reviews website.

(Still haven't found a netball game...)

Johnny Olsen

eto

Quote from: sigh on 23:48, 23 July 22Old thread, but I found this:
that's ice hockey, not field hockey. I think in "Winter Sports" (not Winter Games) there is also an ice hockey game included. However a really bad one.

I don't remember I ever saw a field hockey game on any machine. 

Animalgril987

I've never seen or heard of any field hockey games on 8, or 16 bit platforms.
Apparently you can get one for Android and iOS ( ugh, I have to wash my mouth out now, mentioning anything about crApple; Damn I just did it again)  :D

sigh

Quote from: eto on 17:02, 26 July 22
Quote from: sigh on 23:48, 23 July 22Old thread, but I found this:
that's ice hockey, not field hockey. I think in "Winter Sports" (not Winter Games) there is also an ice hockey game included. However a really bad one.

I don't remember I ever saw a field hockey game on any machine.
Yeah I know. I posted because it's the closest thing I have seen.

Quote from: Animalgril987 on 19:14, 26 July 22I've never seen or heard of any field hockey games on 8, or 16 bit platforms.
Apparently you can get one for Android and iOS ( ugh, I have to wash my mouth out now, mentioning anything about crApple; Damn I just did it again)  :D
This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXSWA1Is9uU&t=59s

..and this one for the netball - but it isn't really a netball game.
https://apkpure.com/netball-shots-2/com.galaeth.netballshots2

sigh

I'm thinking single screen top down netball game would work. No scrolling required. :D

sigh

Also - as there is no dribbling of the ball in the game, the ball physics seem a little easier as there isn't fancy swerve balls, bouncing of the ball (unless it is dropped, but then it would just bounce on the spot like Basket Master) though there is ricocheting off the rim if the player misses. With how limited the player can move in their positions, the movement is very restricted

The game would be pretty much:

1) Shoot ball at the player in a straight line.
2) Player moves from A to B in their limited area.

It's odd how a game like this hasn't been made before as it seems far simpler than other ball type games.

sigh

You cannot view this attachment.

Quick mock up; It could be something like this...

sigh

This screen size is 384 x 250. The standard 300 x 200, I think is just too small for a game like this without scrolling.

Could be interesting to put in some super moves, like being able to slowdown time so that you have more time to hold the ball, or make the net basket bigger to make it easier to score points.

sigh

Updated the title

edit: Trying to update the title to "Field Hockey Game or Netball Game?"

How do I do this?

Animalgril987

Quote from: sigh on 23:56, 29 July 22This screen size is 384 x 250. The standard 300 x 200, I think is just too small for a game like this without scrolling.

Could be interesting to put in some super moves, like being able to slowdown time so that you have more time to hold the ball, or make the net basket bigger to make it easier to score points.
How about, if an attacker has the ball in the opponent's semi-circle, the screen zooms in to that area?

sigh

Quote from: Animalgril987 on 20:25, 30 July 22
Quote from: sigh on 23:56, 29 July 22This screen size is 384 x 250. The standard 300 x 200, I think is just too small for a game like this without scrolling.

How about, if an attacker has the ball in the opponent's semi-circle, the screen zooms in to that area?

I wonder - would the CPC be fast enough to execute that without horrible slow down like in Pit Fighter? The quick mock up, visually doesn't have anything too taxing; though if I was to do a finished mock up, it would have a design/motif on the court. On the top part, I would have the umpire and official bench along with the team benches. The bottom half would just have the score board and maybe some crowd. That would be it.

There are 14 sprites  (15 x 25) in total on the court and there would be around 7 or 8 animations to get the basic movement for a full game which would be;

Stand, run, stand with ball, throw, shot, catch, jumping catch and fake/dodge.

I've tried googling other Netball game mock ups and even they don't exist! :o 
If this was made, it would actually be the first Netball Video game ever!

sigh

Change the colours so it doesn't look like a grass pitch

sigh

This one gives it more of a sporty feel:

sigh

Here is a finished mock up. The size had to be expanded to 400 x 272. It would be interesting to see how many games have play areas larger than the standard 300 x 200?

This also shows how the timer for holding the ball for 3 seconds, could be shown.

At the bottom is the bar that when filled up (this could be filled up by how many passes you successfully do)will automatically activate your special ability.

sigh

@Gryzor 

Is it possible to change the topic name to "Field Hockey or Netball games?" please?

Gryzor

Changed it for you!

No idea about the actual game but I'd play what you're mocking up! 

sigh

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:12, 02 August 22Changed it for you!

No idea about the actual game but I'd play what you're mocking up!
Thank you very much.

As I don't have any references of netball video games to go off, I'm having to come up with solutions from scratch.

I'm thinking that there should be some type of gameplay mechanic for throwing and catching the ball to put a bit more emphasis on the skill for timing and reactions;

1) The fire button is already held down when holding the ball.
2) Release the fire button to throw the ball.
3) Hold the fire button as soon as it touches the team mate to catch it.

Animalgril987

sigh

I have created the locomotion sprites for the player. There are only 6 frames per movement type as you can see (think that this maybe similar to Emlyn Hughes or MatchDay II?) and they don't need much more than that due to the nature of the way the game is played.

The throwing/passing of the ball will be around 4 frames. There should be around 4 - 5 types of throws. The type of throw executed, will depend on whether the joystick is in neutral or held in a direction (with the exception of the sling pass):

1) Chest pass (performed when holding the joystick direction and throwing to a team mate in the same area)

2) Bounce pass (performed when joystick is in neutral position and sprite facing the team mate to throw to who is in the same area)

3) Lob pass (performed when holding the joystick direction throwing to a team mate who is far away in the same area, or in a different area from the player. Ball is very high)

4) Overhead pass (performed when joystick is in neutral position and sprite facing the team mate to throw throwing to who is far away in the same area, or in a different area from the player. The ball is medium height)

5) Sling Pass (performed by releasing the fire button as soon as the player had caught it. Fastest pass)

For shooting, there would just be a normal jump shot.

Then lastly for catching or intercepting the ball, they would use the same animations:

1) Standing catch (Press then hold the fire button)
2) Jumping catch  ( Press then hold the fire button)

Any thoughts on the controls?

Gryzor

Was wondering about the amount of frames but couldn't count it on my phone. Pretty fluid! 

sigh

A quick example of how the timer works and the opposition defending.

Now thinking that instead of having 5 throwing animations, it is better to just have 2 which would be an overhead throw and a straight throw. With just these 2 throwing animations, they will be able to be re-used for the bounce passes, lobs and sling throws. This also reduces the amount of sprites significantly.

Once I animate the rest of the chest pass and jump shot animations, that should be all the sprite animations for this netball game finished. Next - what sort of special moves could it have?

I'm thinking:
1) Net goal could grows twice the size, making it easier to score.
2) Player speeds up the opponents timer, giving them less time to make decisions on where to shoot.
3) Team summons extra players to pass to.
4) Team increases their movement speed.
5) The team makes the ball invisible when they throw it.

Animalgril987

@sigh Is this turning from a mock-up into an actual game, right before our eyes?
If so, can I be a tester?  :D

Carnivius

Quote from: sigh on 23:40, 04 August 22

A quick example of how the timer works and the opposition defending.

Now thinking that instead of having 5 throwing animations, it is better to just have 2 which would be an overhead throw and a straight throw. With just these 2 throwing animations, they will be able to be re-used for the bounce passes, lobs and sling throws. This also reduces the amount of sprites significantly.

Once I animate the rest of the chest pass and jump shot animations, that should be all the sprite animations for this netball game finished. Next - what sort of special moves could it have?

I'm thinking:
1) Net goal could grows twice the size, making it easier to score.
2) Player speeds up the opponents timer, giving them less time to make decisions on where to shoot.
3) Team summons extra players to pass to.
4) Team increases their movement speed.
5) The team makes the ball invisible when they throw it.

Always did love your pixel art and animation style and you put such personality even into tiny sprites like these.  I had no interest in playing a Netball game (not into sports games in general) but I'd play this even just for the pixels, but also looks like it could be a genuinely fun lil arcadey game.  The Sensible Soccer of Netball. :)
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife