News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

NEW OS FOR COMMODORE 64 ADDS MODERN FEATURES

Started by Gryzor, 05:07, 30 July 22

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

rexbeng

Gryzor! You are posting about C64. Is everything ok, man?  :P

Gryzor

Just the yearly, mid-summer existential crisis, nothing serious, moving on.

Prodatron

I am following this since several years now, and TBH I don't like it that much.
The GUI looks a little bit ugly and sludgy. It is advertised to run on a normal C64, but it requires a modern mass storage device in any case.
When you have a look at its homepage you get the feeling, that the author is spending much more time in fancy blog entries and endless articles about his OS than in developing the OS itself.
It is commercial - I don't have a problem with this, but its development is so slow, that I wonder, who will pay money for this, when you don't know, when it's really finished.
The author was already part of the Wings team ( http://wingsos.org ) around 20 years ago, for which they unfortunately didn't use the very beautiful Clips64 GUI but another one, which is very similiar to the more ugly "C64OS" one (IMHO).

Regarding pure text mode C64 gui operating systems this attempt appeared to me MUCH better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky5SZY4wHgc

IMHO the design of "TEOS" is 10 times nicer and it seems to have real (pre-emptive?) multitasking.
I am a big fan of this project, unfortunately the author stopped working on it after several monthes two years ago. I still hope that he will continue at one day.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

Gryzor

As I said, I didn't want to go into any comparisons 😁 It's certainly nice, buuuut... Commercial? Nahhh

Both the Clips64 and TEOS GUIs are much nicer indeed. 

Animalgril987

I'm a bit worried about the " open women" option in the top left corner!! :D

Gryzor