News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

iXien

Patch another version without any cheat, no need of the joypad 2 and autodetection of 128kb RAM would be nice, yes 8) .

I'm really jealous @CraigsBar  :D . How did you add 64Kb RAM to your GX4000?
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

BlinkyMcGoo

The Executioner version of Frogger doesn't appear to have any way to add credits (certainly not on MESS), normally done with the C key. I've tried every conceivable combination of joypad moves and buttons.

iXien

Quote from: BlinkyMcGoo on 11:01, 03 August 22The Executioner version of Frogger doesn't appear to have any way to add credits (certainly not on MESS), normally done with the C key. I've tried every conceivable combination of joypad moves and buttons.
Just tested it. No problem, press the pause button directly on the console to add credits  ;)
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

BlinkyMcGoo

Quote from: iXien on 11:31, 03 August 22
Quote from: BlinkyMcGoo on 11:01, 03 August 22The Executioner version of Frogger doesn't appear to have any way to add credits (certainly not on MESS), normally done with the C key. I've tried every conceivable combination of joypad moves and buttons.
Just tested it. No problem, press the pause button directly on the console to add credits  ;)

Ah, the problem was that MESS doesn't emulate the console pause button. However the MESS pause key (P) does work, so yay :)

PS Any chance of anyone porting Final Fight?

iXien

Quote from: BlinkyMcGoo on 13:50, 03 August 22
Quote from: iXien on 11:31, 03 August 22

Ah, the problem was that MESS doesn't emulate the console pause button. However the MESS pause key (P) does work, so yay :)
PS Any chance of anyone porting Final Fight?
Final Fight on CPC requires 128k RAM. As GX4000 only have 64k RAM, I'm affraid that this game won't be patched 
until came a simple solution to add 64k RAM in the console.

I really like the idea of playing CPC games with MESS through the GX4000 emulation and all these unofficial patchs. I suppose it's really more cozy without keyboard 8) But as you can see, a good old CPC emulation remains important to play all the great games that require 128k RAM, a keyboard and uses more than one side of a floppy disk.

BlinkyMcGoo

Quote from: iXien on 14:28, 03 August 22I really like the idea of playing CPC games with MESS through the GX4000 emulation and all these unofficial patchs. I suppose it's really more cozy without keyboard 8) But as you can see, a good old CPC emulation remains important to play all the great games that require 128k RAM, a keyboard and uses more than one side of a floppy disk.

Luckily MESS lets you map the P key to a controller button manually :D

iXien

For your eyes only @CraigsBar , thanks once again to the magical hands of @Urusergi :

ROBOCOP from Ocean (128k only)

Controls :
D-pad = control Robocop or trigger.
J1 UP = While text appears on screen at start, speed it up
J1B1 = Start game on menu / Skip high score table / Fire
J1B2 = Turn off/on music on menu
Pause button = Pause game (any key to unpause)

Yes, sadly this patch is 128k ONLY. Why? The version you wanted to patch was from CNG, so of course compressed and it wasn't possible to patch it correctly. So another version, uncompressed, has been used. But this cracked version was no more 64k compatible. But no problem. Now you got a pure version of the game, directly launching, with a custom main menu, no cheats. Enjoy it on your 128k RAM GX4000  8) (DSK file is available too for CPC/+ 6128 owners.

For everyone else, Robocop is already available since many years thanks to the work of @Phantomz . This version works on any GX4000 and offers cheats. The only flaw imo is that you need the second joypad to alter the game menu. But the only thing you could want to modify on GX4000 is to turn off music... But wait! Hey! Who would want to cut the fabulous music of Jonathan DUNN  :P ?

CyrilAmstrad

Quote from: iXien on 08:58, 27 July 22After a lot of pain, blood and tears :P , here is the new patch from @Urusergi :

SABOTEUR from Durell

Mainscreen
Press J1B1 to start the game. Use up and down to choose a difficulty level then J1B1 to confirm. At the end of a game, press J1B1 to skip the highscore table (Pause button can be used if you really want to enter a key that will be "P" before leaving the screen).

Ingame controls :
J1 LEFT/RIGHT = move left/right
J1 UP + LEFT/RIGHT = Sideways jump (distance depends if you're running or not)
J1 UP = Climb up if on ladder, kick if still, Starts the helicopter
J1 DOWN = Climb down if on ladder or duck if still
J1B1 = Throw/use/take object, altern between near/held objects or punch if none
Pause button = Abort mission

Quickstart guide
Enter warehouse, Avoid dogs, guards, and ceiling-mounted anti-personnel weapons which are guided by video cameras. Go up through a number of floor levels, then go over top of lift shaft to other side of the warehouse. You will have to use the computer terminals to unlock some doors. Next go down to sewers. On your journey you should try to find a hidden time-bomb and carry it to the underground computer center. Use mini-trains which connect sewers to the underground centre. Take (or swap time-bomb with) the disk, then escape by helicopter which is on the roof of the warehouse. You will have to climb the stanchions and jump accross the gantries on the top floor.

Lot of work was required to be able to convert this legendary game on GX4000. Here is the complete list of the job done :
    - Usual remapping of the quitkey to the Pause button
    - Anti-piracy information screen removed.
    - Main menu removed, as keyboard keys don't need to be redefined anymore
    - Message PRESS FIRE TO START THE MISSION added on the remaining high score table.
    - Replacement of the keyboard input of the difficulty level by an up/down cycling selector on joypad.
    - J1B1 is enough to skip the highscore table at the end of a game.
    - "No time-bomb" bug in difficulty level 3 fixed (using the Clive Townsend instructions).
    - Two versions available in CPR and DSK : Standard version directly loading the game, poked version with cheat menu offering unlimited energy and time.

SABOTEUR was really missing in the GX4000 compatible game list since the launch of the thread in 2015. Many thanks to @Urusergi for spending so much time and efforts to make the game 100% joypad 8) .

Enjoy Saboteur, one of the first stealth games, on your GX4000. DSK files are also included to enjoy these great improvements on a standard CPC too.
Well done @Urusergi , good stuff. 
Have on to do list , some more big improvement as a brand new gx4000 presentation and CPC+ features as well. This work could contribute to progress mine too and if it goes more « ready to use » then will include the Urusergi into mine. 
At the moment, more in stand by due to some others timetable WIP on GX4000.
But will pop one day 😀
Amstradiens Facebook Group
AMSTRAD CPC/ _+ /GX4000
Amstradiens Channel

BlinkyMcGoo

I see that most of the great homebrew arcade ports and emulations - Frogger, Phoenix, Scramble, Space Invaders - have been converted, but not Pac-Man. Any reason?

iXien

Quote from: BlinkyMcGoo on 15:37, 04 August 22I see that most of the great homebrew arcade ports and emulations - Frogger, Phoenix, Scramble, Space Invaders - have been converted, but not Pac-Man. Any reason?
Once again, if you're talking about PAC-MAN EMULATOR, the game requires 128k RAM while GX4000 is 64k only  ;)

BlinkyMcGoo

Ah, you see, I don't know these things, and am extra-confused by the appearance of things like 128K Robocop above  ;D

How about the brilliant conversion of Acornsoft Snapper/Pac-Man, then?

CyrilAmstrad

Hello everybody ,
I had a small request from @iXien about "One Man an his droid" game for GX4000.
CPR was already created , but some improvements missed.
2 topics :
- Ugly green border on the splash screen to replace to Black one.
and
- Second and Mainly : a "dull" or "fade" palette in game.
I took some little time to do it , and fixed it.
Game color now still "old palette" state , but more nice as it could be .

here is my hack version and I think @iXien would complete it with a game user's manual.
Cheers
Cyrille Ayor61
Amstradiens Facebook Group
AMSTRAD CPC/ _+ /GX4000
Amstradiens Channel

iXien

Many thanks @CyrilAmstrad for this nice upgrade of 

ONE MAN AND HIS DROID from Mastertronic.

Controls :
D-pad = Move the droid
J1B1 = Pause game (Phase 1), quick press to select one of the 3 action modes or long press to activate scan mode (Phase 2)

Yes, although it is one of the very first CPC games and is best known for its C64 version with its fabulous music, it deserves some attention on Amstrad machines too.

The addition of the title screen was already nice but that green border was indeed really terrible. And I never understood why the brightness was so low, it looked like a bug. Thank you for these corrections, really!  :D

And indeed, here is a RAR file containing the game (with and without fixes) but also a text file a little longer than usual detailing what to do in the game and how to get started. The concept is a bit cryptic at first but once you understand the trick, you have a good time, especially on phase 2 of each level  8)

iXien

Quote from: BlinkyMcGoo on 15:57, 04 August 22Ah, you see, I don't know these things, and am extra-confused by the appearance of things like 128K Robocop above  ;D
How about the brilliant conversion of Acornsoft Snapper/Pac-Man, then?
We will see what we can do for this one  8)

iXien

And here come the BIG PROJECT, one of the most famous CPC games, so much missing on GX4000. So many thanks to @Urusergi for all his efforts in patching with so much class :

SABOTEUR 2 from Durell

Controls :
J1 UP = Climb up if on ladder, kick if still, ativate lift you're standing on to the upper level, start motorbike as you're turned in the right direction and next to the seat.
J1 DOWN = Climb down if on ladder, duck if still, activate lift you're standing on to the lower level
J1 LEFT/RIGHT = move left/right
J1 UP + LEFT/RIGHT = Sideways jump
J1B1 + LEFT/RIGHT = Flying kick
J1B1 + UP/DOWN = Aim your throw
J1B1 + DOWN + LEFT/RIGHT = Low kick
J1B1 = Throw/use/take object, altern between near/held objects or punch if none, drop from the hang-glider
Pause button = Abort mission

Lot of work was required to be able to convert this fabulous game on GX4000. Here is the complete list of the job done :
    - Bright white replaces bright blue on title screen to better match the original Spectrum version picture.
    - Usual remapping of the quitkey to the Pause button.
    - Anti-piracy information screen removed.
    - New game menu fully controlled with joypad
    - Word based passwords replaced by numbers.
    - Replacement of the keyboard input of the passwords by an up/down cycling selector on joypad using numbers only.
    - J1B1 is enough to skip the highscore table at the end of a game.
    - "Enemy display" corruption fixed using Clive Townsend instructions.
    - Two versions available in CPR and DSK :
          * Standard version directly loading the game,
          * Poked version with cheat menu offering unlimited energy and time.

You will find the new password list in the text file included with the game.

Enjoy Saboteur 2 on your GX4000. DSK files are also included to enjoy these great improvements on a standard CPC too.

*PLEASE DOWNLOAD BUGFIX FROM https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/index.php?msg=218535 *

iXien

A little bug in the previous version, please download this version rather than the one in the initial post

SABOTEUR 2 (v2, bug fixed) from Durell

I can't modify my previous post to delete the file, so be sure to download v2 here  ;)

RockRiver

What about a Prohibition CPC+/gx4000 palette version???
With blue sky, people with not grey skin...

BlinkyMcGoo

Has anyone managed to actually get Prehistorik II (Plus version) working? I've been through all the options and the best I can get it to do is start, with a graphically-corrupted screen, and then crash as soon as I start moving. 128 mode works fine.

iXien

Quote from: BlinkyMcGoo on 12:34, 11 August 22Has anyone managed to actually get Prehistorik II (Plus version) working? I've been through all the options and the best I can get it to do is start, with a graphically-corrupted screen, and then crash as soon as I start moving. 128 mode works fine.

Maybe your emulation isn't really occurate. Emulate Amstrad CPC isn't so easy, and Prehistorik II is a very particular game. It perfectly works using serious CPC+ emulators like CPCEC or WinAPE 8) . It works on my 6128+ and GX4000 as well without any graphical corruption.

Whatever, don't forget the needs of each version offered in the game menu at launch:
    - 64K = All CPCs, 464/664/6128 and 464+/6128+/GX4000, no Plus features of course, the lightest version.
    - 128K =  464/664/6128 and 464+/6128 but not GX4000, no Plus features but all standard CPC compatible features.
    - PLUS = 128K required, Plus features. Only for 6128+, the optimal version.

BlinkyMcGoo

iXien

Quote from: BlinkyMcGoo on 17:49, 11 August 22Bah, all I have available is CaPriCe and MESS :(
http://cngsoft.no-ip.org/cpcec.htm (download link at the bottom of the page)

CPCEC is the emulator I launch daily, to play from the oldest CPC games to the latest homebrews and GX4000 conversions before transferring them on my real console ;)

CraigsBar

Quote from: iXien on 23:06, 03 August 22For your eyes only @CraigsBar , thanks once again to the magical hands of @Urusergi :

ROBOCOP from Ocean (128k only)

Controls :
D-pad = control Robocop or trigger.
J1 UP = While text appears on screen at start, speed it up
J1B1 = Start game on menu / Skip high score table / Fire
J1B2 = Turn off/on music on menu
Pause button = Pause game (any key to unpause)

Yes, sadly this patch is 128k ONLY. Why? The version you wanted to patch was from CNG, so of course compressed and it wasn't possible to patch it correctly. So another version, uncompressed, has been used. But this cracked version was no more 64k compatible. But no problem. Now you got a pure version of the game, directly launching, with a custom main menu, no cheats. Enjoy it on your 128k RAM GX4000  8) (DSK file is available too for CPC/+ 6128 owners.

For everyone else, Robocop is already available since many years thanks to the work of @Phantomz . This version works on any GX4000 and offers cheats. The only flaw imo is that you need the second joypad to alter the game menu. But the only thing you could want to modify on GX4000 is to turn off music... But wait! Hey! Who would want to cut the fabulous music of Jonathan DUNN  :P ?
Bloody Awesome work, thank you so much. My GX4128 thanks you!
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

BlinkyMcGoo

Quote from: iXien on 21:03, 11 August 22
Quote from: BlinkyMcGoo on 17:49, 11 August 22Bah, all I have available is CaPriCe and MESS :(
http://cngsoft.no-ip.org/cpcec.htm (download link at the bottom of the page)

CPCEC is the emulator I launch daily, to play from the oldest CPC games to the latest homebrews and GX4000 conversions before transferring them on my real console ;)
Ah, I should have been clearer - I meant available for my Raspberry Pi.

iXien

Quote from: BlinkyMcGoo on 02:17, 12 August 22Ah, I should have been clearer - I meant available for my Raspberry Pi.

Yes, of course emulation is less developed on Raspberry Pi. It's ok for standard emulation but you you may run into problems with  the most technical games.
If you encounter problems with a game on your Raspberry Pi, maybe you should test it on PC with one of the emulators I adviced you to verify if the problems persist  ;)

BlinkyMcGoo

CPCEC is a pretty snazzy emulator, though :)