Play2CPC (Plus2CPC II) : Extra sound channels and rewritable cartridges

Started by abalore, 15:38, 23 November 21

Previous topic - Next topic

asertus

Hi, I have received my play2cpc. I have tested it with Alcon2020 but do not notice any "sound" difference from running Alcon2020 in the standard cartridge plug without play2cpc.

I run it in a 6128 plus.

I recognise I am pretty "deaf", but maybe I am doing something wrong, as the device has some switches. How should the switches be? and should I use the output in play2cpc, I actually get a very low volume there.

Anyway, for me, it is a very convenient device, as I have also a normal 6128 and a 464.

Mr. DVG

About a couple of days ago I tried to connect a C4CPC through Abalore's Play2CPC connector on an Amstrad CPC6128 (old version). The result is that in addition to not having worked, the C4CPC no longer works. Did I do something wrong? ::)

P.S. - Alcon 2020 works perfectly and is beautiful! :P

abalore

Quote from: Mr. DVG on 16:45, 14 August 22About a couple of days ago I tried to connect a C4CPC through Abalore's Play2CPC connector on an Amstrad CPC6128 (old version). The result is that in addition to not having worked, the C4CPC no longer works. Did I do something wrong? ::)

Do you have your C4CPC enclosed?

abalore

Quote from: asertus on 09:58, 10 August 22Hi, I have received my play2cpc. I have tested it with Alcon2020 but do not notice any "sound" difference from running Alcon2020 in the standard cartridge plug without play2cpc.

I run it in a 6128 plus.

I recognise I am pretty "deaf", but maybe I am doing something wrong, as the device has some switches. How should the switches be? and should I use the output in play2cpc, I actually get a very low volume there.

Anyway, for me, it is a very convenient device, as I have also a normal 6128 and a 464.

In the Plus, you have the extra channels in the Play2CPC audio connector, try connecting speakers there (pressing firmly the first time)

Mr. DVG

Quote from: abalore on 17:14, 14 August 22
Quote from: Mr. DVG on 16:45, 14 August 22About a couple of days ago I tried to connect a C4CPC through Abalore's Play2CPC connector on an Amstrad CPC6128 (old version). The result is that in addition to not having worked, the C4CPC no longer works. Did I do something wrong? ::)

Do you have your C4CPC enclosed?

The C4CPC is not mine, but a friend of mine.

abalore

I connect the C4CPC to the Play2CPC in a regular CPC6128 on a daily basis. Furthermore, I designed the Play2CPC specifically to be compatible with the C4CPC (wide power rails, customized software in both devices...) and never had a single problem.

There are, however, some basic guidelines to connect the C4CPC or any cartridge:

- Never connect with the computer powered on
- Never connect without the cartridge/C4CPC enclosure, or the Play2CPC enclosure, because it may lead to a bad alignment of the connector pins or even to be connected in reverse

You could post a close picture of the C4CPC so we can check for external signs of damage.

JayBlood

Jay

TotO

What I can say is the Play2CPC is the more impressive interface ever done to play games on CPC. It use a lot of electronics parts to allows amazing features (some used on ALCON 2020) and require real skill to be soldered by hand on both side of the PCB to fit.

Abalore do is best. We have secured all the critical parts since months to offer you the Play2CPC, but it require more time than expected to deliver it currently. We do our best to finish to ship the combo version with the ALCON 2020 second batch. Next, we will start to build the box versions and will open a dedicated website (ready since 3 months ago) with some surprises. :)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

JayBlood

Jay

TotO

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

zhulien

eto

Is it possible to select a 1MHZ clock for the YMZ chips like you can do with a Play2CPC or will it be always fixed at the default 2MHz?

TotO

It is 1MHz by default, like the CPC and most programs using the PlayCity (Alcon 2020 too).

TotO

abalore

More news on this soon ;)

TotO

Few Play2CPC combo with Alcon 2020 left to build and ship. Thank you for waiting. :)

GUNHED

Any chance to produce a Play2CPC with Centronics connector? Or with MX4 plug?
Would be great for 6128 and 6128plus  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

TotO

Quote from: GUNHED on 14:08, 18 October 22Any chance to produce a Play2CPC with Centronics connector? Or with MX4 plug?
You can ask a Compact Centronics Adapter from @abalore for the Play2CPC.

aleckon

Quote from: TotO on 11:33, 18 October 22Few Play2CPC combo with Alcon 2020 left to build and ship. Thank you for waiting. :)
Looking forward to mine arriving! 

Thanks for the update.

CraigsBar

Can you let me know where in the queue my order is please. I'd love to play Alcon the way it was meant to be played but currently can't :(

I really hope my 2 Play2CPC devices are getting closer to the top of the list now.

Thanks

Craig.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

GUNHED

Quote from: TotO on 14:45, 18 October 22
Quote from: GUNHED on 14:08, 18 October 22Any chance to produce a Play2CPC with Centronics connector? Or with MX4 plug?
You can ask a Compact Centronics Adapter from @abalore for the Play2CPC.
Any kind of adaptors with PCB edge are dodgy, therefore I want to omit the edge problematic. For this reason I did ask for a Centronics or MX4 version. Will this ever be made?
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

TotO

Quote from: GUNHED on 13:06, 23 November 22Any kind of adaptors with PCB edge are dodgy, therefore I want to omit the edge problematic. For this reason I did ask for a Centronics or MX4 version. Will this ever be made?
The edge slot and plug are brand new. There is no reason that will make it not properly working, except if you have already issues with your Centronics port. Now, if you prefer, you can use an edge to centronics ribbon cable instead (to be not rigid). :)

eto

Quote from: GUNHED on 13:06, 23 November 22Any kind of adaptors with PCB edge are dodgy, therefore I want to omit the edge problematic. For this reason I did ask for a Centronics or MX4 version. Will this ever be made?
Honestly the adapter is a pretty solid thing, it almost feels like a "native" adapter.

eto

GUNHED

Quote from: eto on 14:04, 23 November 22
Honestly the adapter is a pretty solid thing, it almost feels like a "native" adapter.
I'm sure it is!  :) :) :) It looks very good!  :) :) :) However, 'edge' remains 'edge'. And 'edge' will can wobble a bit if you move something on the desk. And I really don't like a crash that much. It's just my personal experience. But at CPC meetings my friends seem to prefer Centronics over pcb-edge adaptors too. All this thing is of interest for 6128plus and Geman CPC6128 only anyway. Never mind.  :)