News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

Quote from: iXien on 08:15, 12 August 22
Quote from: BlinkyMcGoo on 02:17, 12 August 22Ah, I should have been clearer - I meant available for my Raspberry Pi.

Yes, of course emulation is less developed on Raspberry Pi. It's ok for standard emulation but you you may run into problems with  the most technical games.
If you encounter problems with a game on your Raspberry Pi, maybe you should test it on PC with one of the emulators I adviced you to verify if the problems persist  ;)
From the news on a patreon posting recently. That could be about to change. One of the more modern emulators that has previously only been X86 Mac/Windows/Linux is making a leap ahead with an Apple M1 Native release, and as an aside of this a Linux ARM64 version too. So coming to Pi4 / 400 near you soon... and I cannot wait!
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

CyrilAmstrad

Quote from: RockRiver on 11:47, 07 August 22What about a Prohibition CPC+/gx4000 palette version???
With blue sky, people with not grey skin...
Do you have a example Version to share ? It could be quick done. Cheers 
Amstradiens Facebook Group
AMSTRAD CPC/ _+ /GX4000
Amstradiens Channel

iXien

Quote from: CyrilAmstrad on 15:16, 14 August 22
Quote from: RockRiver on 11:47, 07 August 22What about a Prohibition CPC+/gx4000 palette version???
Honestly, not sure that something nice can be done just by patching colours of a game which has been so cleverly thought out for mode 1 with 4 particularly well-chosen colors. But it's only my own opinion of course. But succeeding in making the floppy version requiring 128K work on the GX4000 by compensating the lack of memory by a good use of the ROM standard, it would be really interesting since this 128K version offers additional content :P .
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

iXien

And here is a new 'tour de force' from @Urusergi that offers us a new patched version of :

CYBERNOID from Hewson

d-pad = control Cybernoid craft
J1B1 = Fire
J1B2 = Cycle weapons (Bombs, Mines, Shield, Bounce, Seeker)
Pause button = Pause game (Fire 1 = Continue, fire 2 = abort game)

Features :
    - Two versions: Original title screen (McSpe signature removed) and new title screen from C64.
    - Wait for any key to skip title screen.
    - Original YXES cheat remapped on Left, Right, Up, Fire
    - Fire 2 on joypad 1 to cycle weapons.
    - Corrected score bug display and x10 bug (inherited from the original Spectrum version).
    - Corrected word 'RETREIVE' to 'RETRIEVE' in bad end level message.
    - Press fire to skip the highscore table (if no entry, PLAYER1 is used as default name).
    - Pause game with pause button (resume or abort game options).
    - Corrections of McSpe version > MCSPE to original SANDRA entry in high score table, original credits restored

This new version is fully playable with joypad 1 only, with a smart cycling system to choose a weapon, just like on the NES version of the game. It corrects historical bugs of the score display and a problem of the bonus score that was x10 by mistake. Pause button permits to resume game or quit as well and for GX4000 users, PLAYER1 will be used as default name in the highscore table just pressing fire 1 to skip it.

Small additional luxury, this version offers a new title screen based on that of the C64 version, therefore colourful in mode 0. For purists, a version with the original title screen is also available 8) .

The archive includes the first patched version from @Phantomz, and DSK files of the @Urusergi version for CPC users as well as CPR files.

Enjoy one of the most famous CPC games in this ultimate version, bug free, with a new title screen and 100% joypad 1 gameplay ;D .
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

RockRiver

Do you have a

Blue Sky in C64; orange skin (l like Lego style) at Arcade

https://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=https%3A//www.lemon64.com/games/details.php%3FID%3D2001

https://www.arcade-history.com/?n=empire-city-1931&page=detail&id=753

RockRiver

Quote from: iXien on 23:18, 14 August 22
Honestly, not sure that something nice can be done just by patching colours of a game which has been so cleverly thought out for mode 1 with 4 particularly well-chosen colors. But it's only my own opinion of course. But succeeding in making the floppy version requiring 128K work on the GX4000 by compensating the lack of memory by a good use of the ROM standard, it would be really interesting since this 128K version offers additional content :P .
Agree with you, iXien,  about well chosen 4 colors. For me it's one of my favorite CPC games. Now on gx4000 thanks to this amazing scene.
CPC version is same as Atari ST with better music on CPC.

But I'm great fan of Ayor61 CPC+/gx4000 works and recoloring versions. New life for CPC+ system. Thanks Cyrille !!! (Konami's Ping Pong... simple but so nice palette change, yeahhhhh)

back to Prohibition: Red blood as at arcade Empire City??

RockRiver

Quote from: BlinkyMcGoo on 02:17, 12 August 22
Quote from: iXien on 21:03, 11 August 22
Quote from: BlinkyMcGoo on 17:49, 11 August 22Bah, all I have available is CaPriCe and MESS :(
http://cngsoft.no-ip.org/cpcec.htm (download link at the bottom of the page)

CPCEC is the emulator I launch daily, to play from the oldest CPC games to the latest homebrews and GX4000 conversions before transferring them on my real console ;)
Ah, I should have been clearer - I meant available for my Raspberry Pi.

David Skywalker is working on retroarch/libretro/retropie CPC+ core from Colin Pitrat/caprice32 research

And you would check SugarPi , a Rasp baremetal emulator... it's my GX4128 system  8) (thanks Lone)
https://github.com/Tom1975/SugarPi

iXien

Ok guys, as you can easily suppose, @Urusergi made the same work on Cybernoid 2, once again with some bonuses :

CYBERNOID II from HEWSON

d-pad = control Cybernoid craft
J1B1 = Fire
J1B2 = Cycle weapons (Bombs, Mines, Shield, Bounce, Seeker)
Pause button = Pause game (Fire 1 = Continue, fire 2 = abort game)

Features :
    - Wait for any key to skip title screen.
    - Original ORGY cheat remapped on Left, Right, Up, Fire
    - Fire 2 on joypad 1 to cycle weapons.
    - Center screen.
    - Colour correction on standard version (INK 1 for dominant blue, INK 2 bright blue replaces INK 15 pink).
    - Corrected word 'RETREIVE' to 'RETRIEVE' in bad end level message.
    - Press fire to skip the highscore table (if no entry, PLAYER1 is used as default name).
    - Pause game with pause button (resume or abort game options).
    - Original copyright restored on (modified in the Crackponx and Aragorn cracked versions)
    - Original highscore table entries restored (modified in the Aragorn cracked version)

Archive includes patched version from @Phantomz too. DSK files for CPC users are available as well as CPR files (Urusergi version only).

The 'Plus' version offers of course new colours choosen in the 4096 colour palette, but standard version offers its own optimization. Pink colour was originally used in the tileset, resulting in a weird effect in the details of the blue elements in the background. Using a darker blue as dominant tint in the tileset, sky blue replaces pink for a more homogeneous aspect.

The version from @Urusergi offers a real console control, making the game fully playable with joypad 1. So many thanks to him  8)

iXien

I know I'll be a little off-topic (but not completely), but I just discovered a nice remix of the Cybernoid CPC/Spectrum music on Youtube and I wanted to share it with you as it seems that not a lot of people found it. Icing on the cake, a comment from Dave Rogers himself  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpMr7mNZ-rg&list=WL&index=41

So satisfying and above all so regressive  ;D

iXien

A very long work of master @Urusergi to overcome all the obstacles and find all the necessary space in memory 8) , thwarting excessive use of the firmware, here is a new patched version of:

SPINDIZZY from Electric Dreams

Controls on title screen:
J1B1 = Start game
J1UP = Statistics (J1B2 to leave)
J1DOWN = Help (any key to leave)
J1B2 = Credits (any key to leave)

Ingame controls:
d-pad = move GERALD
J1B1 = Extra speed
J1B1 + J1B2 = Stop GERALD on any frictional surface
J1B2 + UP = Map (J1B2 to leave)
J1B2 + DOWN = Alter GERALD shape
J1B2 + J1LEFT = Change viewpoint 90° to the left
J1B2 + J1RIGHT = Change viewpoint 90° to the right
Pause button = Statistics, pause the game (J1B2 to leave)
Pause button while displaying statistics = Colours/monochrome display

The @Phantomz version is already nice, offering a gameplay using the second joypad as a mini keyboard. But I was always puzzling if it would be possible to create a full joypad 1 gameplay, just as if it would have been an official release of the game on GX4000. So many thanks to @Urusergi for making this dream come true  :D

Changing a rule of the game was necessary to make this patch possible. Now stop GERALD doesn't drain time anymore.
Another sacrifice concerns the hidden program STIX that had to be removed to free some memory space. If you want to discover this little feature hidden in the game, please use the @Phantomz version.

In short :D :
    - STIX hidden program removed to free memory
    - Main screen keys patched
    - Ingame functions map/rotate/shape patched to d-pad pressing J1B2 simultaneously.
    - Brake patched on J1B1+J1B2
    - Statistics on Pause button, pressing again pause button while on this screen switch colours/monochrome aspect.
    - Endpart modified to no longer mention the STIX program and don't call it  (@Urusergi , thank you for your patience and tenacity).
    - Brake doesn't drain time anymore.
    - Unlimited time cheat

RAR file includes DSK and CPR files for all Amstrad players, with and without unlimited time, versions from @Urusergi and @Phantomz .

iXien

After hard work on complex patches, here is something more traditional (but not less smart) to enjoy a real classic on our beloved GX4000. Once again, many thanks to @Urusergi for his talent:

SIGMA 7 from Durell

J1 UP = Forward
J1 DOWN = Backward
J1 LEFT = Left
J1 RIGHT = Right
J1 B1 =  Fire

What have been done:
    - Wait for fire to skip title screen
    - Joypad control by default
    - Control choice menu removed
    - Highscore table: 'PLAYER 1' as default name if no input.
    - Screen one character moved to the right
    - Several texts improved ('best previous score'....., 'press any key to play', all the high scores)
    - The screen was compressed so I improved the decompressor at the same time I added the &bb18 sub-routine
    - Cheats for unlimited lives and time

Have a nice day, GX4000 lovers  ;)

iXien

And here is a new conversion from @Urusergi to feed your hungry GX4000  :P :

SHARK from Players Premier

D-pad = Control the ship
J1B1 = Fire
J1B2 = Change weapons
Pause button = Pause/unpause (J1B2 to abort current game)

J1 DOWN + J1B2 = Level up cheat.

Cycle weapons using J1B2 is a very nice improvement to the original down on d-pad that clearly made the game near to unplayable at the time.

Have a nice week-end everyone  8)

iXien

Another great patch from @Urusergi , a so famous game that was missing on GX4000:

ALIEN 8 from Ultimate Play The Game

Controls

Main screen:
1 = Start game
2 = Directional control mode (on/off)

Standard control mode (default) : left/right to turn around, up to move forward.
Directional control mode : up/down/left/right to move in the corresponding direction.

Ingame in standard mode:
J1 LEFT/RIGHT = Turn left/right
J1 UP = Move forward
J1B1 = Jump
J1B2 = Pick up/drop object
Pause button = Pause/unpause game

Ingame in directional mode :
J1 LEFT/RIGHT/UP/DOWN = Move to the corresponding direction.
J1B1 = Jump
J1B2 = Pick up/drop object

List of modifications:
  - Joystick controls as default control mode
  - Modifying menu to remove keyboard/joystick choice then : 1 = Start game, 2 = Directional control
  - J1B2 to pick up/drop items whereas in standard or directional control mode.
  - Pause button = Pause/unpause game
  - Bugfix of the main character display animation.
  - A cheat version with menu to select unlimited Infinite lives, Invulnerability and Infinite time

A great adventure for the most motivated among us  :P But for once a CPC game needs more than a quarter of an hour to be completed, we're not going to complain  8)

iXien

Another good Ultimate Play the Game title to retrieve the spirit of wild west :

GUNFRIGHT from Ultimate Play The Game.

Once again, many thanks to @Urusergi that chains the conversions at a frightening rate 8) !

Main screen:
1 = Start game
2 = switch between Turn*walk or Directional control mode (on/off)
Pause button = 1 or 2 player game (alternatively)

Turn*walk control mode (default) : left/right to turn around, up to move forward.
Directional control mode : up/down/left/right to move in the corresponding direction.

Ingame in Turn*walk control mode:
J1 UP = Move forward
J1B1 = Fire
J1B2 = Change the angle of view

J1B1 = Fire

List of modifications:
  - Main menu adjustments
  - J1B2 to change the angle of view
  - A cheat version with menu to select infinite lives and money.

iXien

And what about another another classic from Ultimate Play The Game? Thanks to @Urusergi , now you can play on your GX4000 :

NIGHTSHADE from Ultimate Play The Game

1 = Start game
2 = Directional control mode (on/off)

Standard control mode : left/right to turn around, up to move forward.
Directional control mode (default) : up/down/left/right to move in the corresponding direction.

Ingame in standard mode:
J1 UP = Move forward
J1B1 = Fire

J1B1 = Fire

List of modifications:
  - Joystick controls as default control mode
  - Directional control mode by default
  - Menu adjustments to remove keyboard/joystick choice then : 1 = Start game, 2 = Directional control (on/off)
  - J1B2 to change the angle of view
  - A cheat version with menu to activate Invulnerability.

A quick game for a good week-end. See ya  8)

RockRiver

Love Ultimate/Rare ; Love U , mates

Recoloring Gunfright & Nightshade to CPC+ palette and with more colours (not only 4) will be great.
As at Spec256 or MSX2 isometric Ultimate's&Ritman/Drummond remake versions.

@Ayor61: Cyril, which util can we use to make that??? Or all in Z80 assembler????

[ If you like isometrics: you must try Abadia (cpr) , now in english too: Abbey of Crime (cpc-power) ]
[guide pdf here: https://twitter.com/EnriqueBCN/status/1550762568150618113?s=20&t=AEl2-mpAHEWdjeVzZFCI9w    ] sorry in spanish. Maybe g translator...

Another last isometric  jewel : Monster Max (GB)(monochrome only) by Ritman/Drummond (published by Titus/Rare)
Yezz NGB is another Z80 cousin 8bit system

RIP Paco Menendez / RIP Bernie Drummond  :'(

iXien

Ok dudes, here is a new masterpiece from @Urusergi to kindly start the week-end  8)

SUPER HERO from Mastertronics

Main menu :
J1B1 = Start game
J1B2 = Modify sound option

Ingame :
d-pad = move
J1B1 = Jump/fire
J1B2 = Pick up/Drop
Pause button = Pause game and show status screen (Pause button again = resume game / J1B2 = quit current game)

With the traders :
UP = 2500 Extra life
DOWN = 1500 Paralyser
LEFT = 1000 Teleport key
RIGHT = 500 Information
J1B2 = 400 flip a coin
J1B1 = Buy nothing and return to game

As often with these games, the most complicated thing is to understand what to do in a huge maze. That's why I offer you in the archive containing the CPR files a modern instruction manual that explains exactly what to do and how.
After that, it's up to you. As in the games mentioned above, the maze is huge and of course the objects to be found are randomly positioned at the start of the game. You can find a nice map on World Of Spectrum, it won't be too much.

Colours of the original title screen were awful, I suppose because it was more important to respect the colours of the Codemasters logo (blue) than searching for nice tints. In the archive is provided CPRs with the original colours and others with alternative colours as we think they are better. Make your choice  :D

Also we provide as usual a standard version that directly launch the game and another offering unlimited lives.

List of modifications on GX4000 :
    - Crack of the original tape image as all available DSK are altered or compressed.
    - Standard and Alternative colours on title screen available on seperate CPR.
    - Wait for fire to skip the title screen
    - New menu for joypad control, only keeping useful options
    - Pick up/drop on J1B2
    - Pause game with pause button and quit game with J1B2 while game is in pause.
    - Traders menu patched

RockRiver

Yezz!!! ;D Another great isometric from our super-heroes:
Paul J. MACHACEK (Ultimate/Rare)(he made pseudo-Underwurdle for CPC "darkwurdle") & Bernie DRUMMOND (best isometric graphics: Batman / HoH)
Thanks @Urusergi ; @iXien

Very Nice New Colours  8)
CPC best 8bit system for Isometric
Check for other 3D iso on cpc power... publishers: loriciels; ere; edge has some... /Hire Hare ... some with CPR version

iXien

Quote from: RockRiver on 13:31, 08 October 22Yezz!!! ;D Another great isometric from our super-heroes:
Paul J. MACHACEK (Ultimate/Rare)(he made pseudo-Underwurdle for CPC "darkwurdle") & Bernie DRUMMOND (best isometric graphics: Batman / HoH)
Thanks @Urusergi ; @iXien

Very Nice New Colours  8)
CPC best 8bit system for Isometric
Check for other 3D iso on cpc power... publishers: loriciels; ere; edge has some... /Hire Hare ... some with CPR version
Hire Hare is available in the converted GX4000 game list (full joypad control natively to be honest) 😉

iXien

A special demand (a little bit personal, to be honest) to @Urusergi here, but it's so lovable:

BILLY LA BANLIEUE from Loriciels

Controls
--------
Main screen:
J1B1 = Start game
J1B2 = Start demo (then J1B1 to abort demo)

Ingame :
J1 LEFT/RIGHT = Move Billy
J1 UP = Jump
J1 DOWN = Whistle
J1B1 = Use an object by running into a character / Start the mini game you're in front of
J1B2 = Maintain this button to slowdown the game
Pause button = Music on/off

We are on a real French game 8) But it has been published in Spain too, under the name "Billy El Barriobajero". All the Paris spirit of the 80's is captured in this little gem. I think it's a very strange game for a lot of non French players. But a big success in France. I guess all children in my country played at least one time on Billy La Banlieue at the time. If you're not sure about what to do, just read the text inside the archive that will explain all you need to know.

List of the modifications for the GX4000 :
    - Wait for fire to skip title screen,
    - rolling demo keys patched,
    - ingame keys patched and with down to whistle (not indicated in original instruction manual and seems to be useless... but fun ;D ),
    - Poked version for unlimited energy.

A nice little game if you search for a nice little evening  ;)

iXien

And as @Urusergi sergi chains the fabulous work, here are the next adventures of Billy  8) :

BILLY II from Loriciels

Controls
--------
At launch :
J1B1 = Load game
J1B2 = Load a rolling demo

Ingame :
J1 LEFT/RIGHT = Move Billy
J1 UP = Jump / Long jump on screen with water / Up stairs
J1 DOWN = crouch / down stairs
J1B1 = Start game / Punch / Start the mini game you're in front of / Use a "GUN" locker
J1B2 = Music on/off

Fighting against Ricky's thugs:
J1B1 = Punch
J1B1 + UP =  Jump kick
J1B1 + DOWN = Low kick

We feel here the will of Loriciels to internationalize the series. The simpler title, the backgrounds colorful but less recognizable. Fights rather than supply of objects to typically Parisian characters. The game remains pleasant to play but it lacks the magic of Billy La Banlieue, with ultimately less success in France ::) . Anyway, thanks to @Urusergi , both of Billy's adventures are now available on GX4000 ;D

List of the modifications for the GX4000 :
    - Launch menu patched for joypad
    - Music on/off on J1B2
    - Poked version for unlimited energy.

Shaun M. Neary

Got a couple of requests if anyone is interested?

1) Karnov. It doesn't appear to be in my set so not sure if it was ever done. It was 64k so surely this can be done?

2) Super Wonder Boy in Monster land. Not sure if I requested this before but would love to have it for my trusty GX.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

iXien

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 22:09, 14 October 22Got a couple of requests if anyone is interested?

1) Karnov. It doesn't appear to be in my set so not sure if it was ever done. It was 64k so surely this can be done?

2) Super Wonder Boy in Monster land. Not sure if I requested this before but would love to have it for my trusty GX.
Even before searching to patch them, there are some problems with these games (I would love Super Wonderboy on GX too, I have fond memories with this game I own in the compilation CARTOONS, although this is not a very good conversion :P )

These games are stored on tow sides. Concerning Karnov, the only known cracked version (Nulle Part System) even requires 128Ko RAM. With Super Wonderboy, most of the cracked versions require 128k too appart from the one from TB Crackers. But he needed a non standard DSK to store more than 178Ko, so it's impossible to convert to CPR with Nocart  :'( 

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: iXien on 06:21, 15 October 22
Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 22:09, 14 October 22Got a couple of requests if anyone is interested?

Even before searching to patch them, there are some problems with these games (I would love Super Wonderboy on GX too, I have fond memories with this game I own in the compilation CARTOONS, although this is not a very good conversion :P )

These games are stored on tow sides. Concerning Karnov, the only known cracked version (Nulle Part System) even requires 128Ko RAM. With Super Wonderboy, most of the cracked versions require 128k too appart from the one from TB Crackers. But he needed a non standard DSK to store more than 178Ko, so it's impossible to convert to CPR with Nocart  :'(
My GX machines have 128k, but fair enough, only a small group of us have those.

Crackers Velus have a version of Karnov. Not sure if it's 128k? https://www.velus.be/cpc-2512.html

Velus also have SWB, not sure if it'll work? https://www.velus.be/cpc-2344.html
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

iXien

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 11:16, 15 October 22
Quote from: iXien on 06:21, 15 October 22

My GX machines have 128k, but fair enough, only a small group of us have those.

Crackers Velus have a version of Karnov. Not sure if it's 128k? https://www.velus.be/cpc-2512.html

Velus also have SWB, not sure if it'll work? https://www.velus.be/cpc-2344.html
Just tested and sadly these cracks need 128k. And in addition they are heavily compressed to make the games stored on one side that really complicates things for patching games :-[