News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Tecnobytes V9990 New Batch

Started by zhulien, 00:35, 06 September 21

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you like a new Tecnobytes V9990 graphics card?

Yes, I want one ASAP as part of a potential next batch.
30 (54.5%)
Yes, but I am not in any hurry for one.
6 (10.9%)
I wish I can have one, but it's currently too expensive.
6 (10.9%)
Not really interested.
13 (23.6%)

Total Members Voted: 55

XeNoMoRPH

Quote from: Prodatron on 13:50, 01 August 22Maybe this guy grabbed all the remaining V9990 chips? :o

https://twitter.com/rafamsx/status/1532120163952254977
I have one of this V9K99 ordered hehe for msx2 😸😸
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

TotO

The VGA connector over the cartridge shell looks weird. :-X
Do you know how many peoples have (pre)ordered it?
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

XeNoMoRPH

Quote from: TotO on 21:40, 01 August 22The VGA connector over the cartridge shell looks weird. :-X
Do you know how many peoples have (pre)ordered it?
I believe that out of 45 units, prototype on real machine :

megatronuk

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 21:03, 01 August 22
Quote from: Prodatron on 13:50, 01 August 22Maybe this guy grabbed all the remaining V9990 chips? :o

I am guessing they are all allocated now, but if not, how did you get on the order list? If I can't get one from Technobytes  for the CPC, I would still like to find one for my HB-FX1DJ.

TotO

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

XeNoMoRPH

Quote from: megatronuk on 07:40, 02 August 22
Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 21:03, 01 August 22

---
I am guessing they are all allocated now, but if not, how did you get on the order list? If I can't get one from Technobytes  for the CPC, I would still like to find one for my HB-FX1DJ.
yes, they already have all the complete orders, this is the contact email, anyway, - info@z80workshop.com
I am using the Tecnobytes V9990 light MSX cartridge on my CPC thanks to the AMSDAP adapter, and I have bought a second V9K99 card, so as not to be removing and putting between the MSX and the Amstrad.

Prodatron

Quote from: megatronuk on 07:40, 02 August 22I am guessing they are all allocated now, but if not, how did you get on the order list? If I can't get one from Technobytes  for the CPC, I would still like to find one for my HB-FX1DJ.
You can use any MSX V9990 card on the CPC as well, as Xeno said, you just need an AMSDAP card (I still have several in stock).

Btw, I also have ten V9990 CPC cards left from the first batch. I didn't mention this before, as I hoped the 2nd batch would become reality and I didn't want to disturb it by offering my spare cards.

I still hope, that the 2nd batch will finally happen, but if anyone is really interested in another CPC V9990 card which is already existing you can write me (jmika at prodatron dot net).

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

HigashiJun

Quote from: Prodatron on 10:31, 02 August 22
Quote from: megatronuk on 07:40, 02 August 22I am guessing they are all allocated now, but if not, how did you get on the order list? If I can't get one from Technobytes  for the CPC, I would still like to find one for my HB-FX1DJ.
You can use any MSX V9990 card on the CPC as well, as Xeno said, you just need an AMSDAP card (I still have several in stock).

Btw, I also have ten V9990 CPC cards left from the first batch. I didn't mention this before, as I hoped the 2nd batch would become reality and I didn't want to disturb it by offering my spare cards.

I still hope, that the 2nd batch will finally happen, but if anyone is really interested in another CPC V9990 card which is already existing you can write me (jmika at prodatron dot net).

Mail sent yesterday...

Hope you got it.

HigashiJun

zhulien

Hi Everyone, I received this email today after all this time.  Please post in here if you do not eventually get your FULL refund.

Dear buyers,
We hereby inform you that, for reasons beyond our control, we will not be able to produce the Powergraph CPC, and we will consequently refund your money which was sent to us in order to produce this board.
We have been buying the Yamaha V9990 chips (the Powergraph CPC's main chip) from the same supplier for years, and we have never had any problems. But recently we had several problems:
We always purchased V9990 chips in 24 pieces' lots (24, 48, 72 pieces, etc), and there was an adding cost to the shipping charge. During the last purchase, the supplier changed the rules: We would buy twice as many chips (a minimum of 48 chips) and the freight value was increased by 750%. Still, we accepted the proposal and paid all the money required.
After purchasing the V9990, we started to buy all the other items which is needed to assemble the Powergraph CPC: Capacitors, resistors, other chips, crystal, the printed circuit board... However, two weeks after the V9990 purchase, the supplier sent us an e-mail, telling that they changed again the selling conditions: Now we needed to buy 240 V9990 chips at the minimum (it increased by 500%), and the value of each chip was increased to more than the double. This made the purchase completely unfeasible.
We tried to negotiate with the supplier, but he was irreducible. He told us that the COVID-19 pandemic state and the invasion of Ukraine by Russia was a great impact into the whole world chip market.
So we canceled the V9990 purchase and asked for a money refund, but this process took months to get the money back into our hands. We looked after other suppliers, we sent e-mails requesting quotes, but the result was the same: a minimum of 240 parts and a very high cost per chip. So, we decided to cancel the Powergraph CPC's assemble and return all your money back.
However, we won't be able to return all the money back immediately. We spent a great amount of money buying all the material needed to produce the boards – as you may notice, the V9990 was the last thing we couldn't buy.
So we propose to return your money, divided into three portions:
  • 1st portion – 50% of the money – immediately.
  • 2nd portion – 25% of the money – in 30 days.
  • 3rd portion – 25% of the money – in 60 days.
Please send an e-mail to tecnobytesbrasil@gmail.com, confirming the acceptance of our return proposal. Please do this using your Paypal e-mail address.
Attached to this e-mail, there is a photo of all the material already purchased, including the PCBs.
Thank you for your confidence. We appreciate your comprehension, and we hope this problem will be fixed soon. We hope in the future we will be able to produce the Powergraph CPC board again at more realistic values.
Sincerely,
Tecnobytes
Rogério Belarmino 

Alpha Bits 
www.alphabits.com.br

Tecnobytes Classic Computers
www.tecnobytes.com.br

zhulien

Hi Everyone, please pm me also when you get the refund payments in here, I will note it and track any that Tecnobytes has not made.  It is a sad case that they cannot come through with the card, but if they do refund us all back in full, that is reasonable in my view.

Also, if you are having difficulty finding your payment in your PAYPAL, likely it went to  Ricardo Oazem

teopl

This is too bad, but I understand them totally (Technobytes) - the chip problem is real (not sure if it's because the war in Ukraine - problem was there before the war also. I am also not sure that Covid can impact so much, maybe it's just preparation for WW3 :laugh: :o ).

They could buy everything before accepting offer, but they do not do this because of the money so I am just sad that we don't get the hardware.

pelrun

Yeah, it's definitely a case of someone in the supply chain profiteering - they're trying to offload all of their remaining stock at a ridiculous markup while the current market conditions give them an excuse.

TotO

Understand that all the "V9990" graphics cards use the same parts, ordering for the CPC or for the MSX. No special components are required only for you. The only change is the I/O address decoding (the reason you can use the MSX card with the @Prodatron adapter). So, that means they will probably stop to make the board for any system.

@zhulien I will return to you the previous V9990 for your own usage.

zhulien

Quote from: TotO on 11:01, 18 August 22@zhulien I will return to you the previous V9990 for your own usage.

no need as i have 2 more here, that was a gift, enjoy it :D

HigashiJun

Too bad, but as expected after this long delay.

:(
HigashiJun

HigashiJun

Quote from: zhulien on 06:41, 18 August 22Hi Everyone, please pm me also when you get the refund payments in here, I will note it and track any that Tecnobytes has not made.  It is a sad case that they cannot come through with the card, but if they do refund us all back in full, that is reasonable in my view.

Also, if you are having difficulty finding your payment in your PAYPAL, likely it went to  Ricardo Oazem

Ok.

Cheers.

HigashiJun

megatronuk

So are they sending this refund email to everyone, or do we have to contact them first? So far I don't have any Comms from them at all.

Interestingly, theres a thread over on msx.org where a couple of people are designing an open source v9990 cart for the MSX, so if you were able to source a single chip yourself, the files are all there to get a cart PCB made up by one of the cheap PCB fabs, e.g. pcbway or similar.

Of course the problem in tracking down a single v9990 remains, but it's probably easier to do that than buy a tray of 24/48/72 like Technobytes has tried to do.

entelle42

Quote from: Prodatron on 10:31, 02 August 22

Hello @Prodatron mail sent. Best.

HigashiJun

Hope to get good new from Prodatron.

;)

HigashiJun

HigashiJun

Quote from: HigashiJun on 14:51, 20 August 22Hope to get good new from Prodatron.

;)

I meant "news"...

HigashiJun

Prodatron

Hi again, sorry, wasn't home for 2 weeks, I will answer soon!

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

megatronuk

I still didn't have an email from Tecnobytes about the refund/cancellation situation so I emailed their tecnobytesbrasil@gmail.com address but haven't received a reply yet.

Did anyone actually get an email other than zhulien?

HigashiJun

Quote from: Prodatron on 18:02, 21 August 22Hi again, sorry, wasn't home for 2 weeks, I will answer soon!
No worries !

:)

HigashiJun

HigashiJun

Quote from: megatronuk on 19:23, 21 August 22I still didn't have an email from Tecnobytes about the refund/cancellation situation so I emailed their tecnobytesbrasil@gmail.com address but haven't received a reply yet.

Did anyone actually get an email other than zhulien?

Nothing here, but I guess we will have to wait a bit before they start to refund.

HigashiJun

Edoz(MSX)

It is really a pain that TechnoBytes was not able to do an other batch despite they are tried there best and did all the investment. Let's hope in future it will be better again!

It is sad to read that prices er going so high currently in the chip industry.