USIfAC II:Convert a PC or USB stick to Amstrad HDD,access dsk's,and many more!

Started by ikonsgr, 08:17, 01 December 20

Previous topic - Next topic

GUNHED

It doesn't matter if a ROM is blank or not. The problem is that you connect two ROMs at the same slot. Try to copy the same content into both ROMs. This could help.
Clean solution: Have only one physical ROM per slot.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

poulette73

As I said: my FlashGordon rom board was completely blank ! There were absolutely no rom at the USIfAC location.

And of course I also tried to implant the USIfAC rom in FlashGordon, at the same slot rom position, on ikonsgr's suggestions.
But that didn't change anything...

The problem was even empty : something made the slot partially busy... and probably disturbs USIfAC.

After several weeks of discussions between ikonsgr and rom board designers, we have come to this conclusion.

But it's good.

Now it's solved.  8)

With another rom board allowing to physically inhibit a defined slot using a switch (in my case number 3): there's no longer any possible conflict !  ;)

GUNHED

See, that's the problem. You call in blank, but there is no such thing. If you blank it then in cantains only Bytes 0, but the other ROM on the same ROM select contains 0 and other bytes.
If the CPC reads from the ROM it gets data from both ROMs. Different data! And that causes the problem.
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

poulette73

Yes, that's exactly what I said since 3 posts.  :D

There is no rom, but this creates an allocation conflict at the same position...
That's why a hardware dipswitch is the solution.

poulette73

Many thanks to @ikonsgr and @kolleykibber !! 🙏👍

For their help on Wifi configuration needed to connect directly to the Internet and access the BBS servers from my Amstrad 6128. 

It wasn't easy but I made it.

I was even able to send myself an email from the BBS server...  :D

Audronic

Quote from: Audronic on 02:12, 20 August 22@ikonsgr

Is it possible the have the USB enabled at power up ?

Thanks

Keep Safe

Ray
BUMP
Is it possible the have the USB enabled at power up ?

Thanks
Keep Safe

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

ikonsgr

Quote from: Audronic on 02:27, 30 August 22Is it possible the have the USB enabled at power up ?
Thanks
Keep Safe
Ray
If you mean after first switch on (cold start), i'm afraid it's not possible. At first power up, USIfAC ROM is active, but nothing is enabled, either usb, direct file mode, or fdc emulation for access dsk images. But if you enable usb module once, then it should be active until power off or if it's disabled by giving again |USB.

Audronic

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

GUNHED

Sometimes (more often actually) games reset the ROMs, therefore it's important to have the most "compatible" configuration enabled by default. I think in this case it works that way.  :)

ikonsgr

Finally the revelation came out!  :D
I've also uploaded a new firmware (6f) that gives proper boot messages, and a bit better cooperation with the new RAM/ROM board.

(btw,i can't modify the 1st post to add the new firmware link...  ::)  )

shacpc

Quote from: ikonsgr on 18:34, 05 September 22Finally the revelation came out!  :D
I've also uploaded a new firmware (6f) that gives proper boot messages, and a bit better cooperation with the new RAM/ROM board.
(btw,i can't modify the 1st post to add the new firmware link...  ::)  )
updated my two usifacII, all correct.

Devlin

updated to 6f without problem, and is now operating happily :)
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

vasilisk

Devlin

Quote from: vasilisk on 10:38, 16 October 22Is there a link for the updated "filemanager" ?
It's all in the Dropbox (should be a link in OP)

I'm working on an alternative, single-file file manager but i'm still working out the kinks in it - but should be more friendly to usifac2's behaviours. It's not ready yet, and might be a while until I have it as fully featured as i'd like it.
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

Maitresinh

Wonderfull USIFAC !

Works fine, and it's giving a new life to an old CPC full of dust i bought many years ago 
Unfortunately, i try to plug a WIFI ESP 07, light on the CPC, made IWifi ..and get "no wifi module detected".
I'w tried various reset. The module is in UART position. Ground pin connected to Ground pin on the USIFAC

Help someone ?

My goal is to connect the CPC to the BBS, and moreover, connect it to Starkos

Maitresinh

Quote from: kolleykibber on 16:08, 26 March 21Hi @ikonsgr

I continue on my investigations with your interesting piece of kit!

I've bought a few ESP-07s and have tried them on the board. But if I call |WIFI I get 'NO WiFi module detected!'.
I have a cpc6128, the ESP-07s are switched to UART (I tried program too!).
I've tried |USB on and off, before I call |WIFI. I've used the ESP-07 reset switch, before the RSX.
If I call |WIFI a second time the system crashes.
The ESP-07 is connected correctly (GND to GND) and the lights come on and you can hear the wifi signal pulsing through the CPC's speaker.
I've tried different ESP-07s

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

in fact i've got exactly the same harder/problem

poulette73

Exactly the same problem for me with two ESP-07s modules, and one ESP-01 module.
>Flashing procedure is OK, and the firmware is correct.
>Connection to the USIfAC II works, the module's red LED lights up.
>When I type the command ùWIFI I get 'NO WiFi module detected!'.

The only one that works with my USIfAC II board is the ESP-12 module.

I really tried everything. Different software to flash, and different firmwares, without success.

If anyone has the solution for the ESP-07 and/or ESP-01 modules I'm interested.

Maitresinh

well if the ESP12 works...i think i will buy one. But first, i want to check if it's a powering problem. Mine is a generic 2A i'm using for Arduinos 3B+, but i'm adaptating a dual powering (12v/5v) from a external DD

By the way, i didn't flash anything. Do i have to ?

The other (minor) problem is the 3D printed case: forget about using it with the wifi module, even with wires on the pins. You cannot use the central screw anymore, and the module cannot fit anywhere.

poulette73

Yes, already done, but thank you.

I have already tried this link (of course) and many others flash tool.
And many different firmware for all my ESP-12, ESP-07 and ESP-01 modules.
Each firmware different, depending on the module (sometimes 4 files versions, sometimes 1 file versions).

I spent many days on this subject. Definitively it's not a flash procedure problem.

I would like to know the feedback of a member who REALLY uses an ESP-07 / ESP-01 module, with which firmware exactly he used with a download link.

The link above works for ESP-12 module.
But not for ESP-07 and ESP-01 modules (the flash is correct, but the module is not detected by USIfAC II).

Fran123

Hello

I tried with several ESP01 modules and I had the same problem. I could not use the wifi and the pendrive at same time. If I wanted to use the wifi I had to save my files on discs. I wanted to build a small navigator. I used a 4A powering.

Maitresinh

Quote from: WacKEDmaN on 03:42, 24 October 22i used an ESP8266 NODEMCU dev board...(eg ESP12-E)...but ANY ESP8266 will work...

did yas upload the required firmware to the ESP? afaik its not the standard serial to wifi bridge like in arduino ide...

i needed to download the flash tool and upload the firmware file manually....
both the flash tool and the firmware are on the dropbox page in a file called ESP8266_Flasher.zip
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ezzga2dppm6jlm7/AACwFC_rv2QatWh_ndKc9fhma?dl=0

So: i see that i was right to start talking about that matter. A lot of people seems to have problems and there is probably room to make the process more clear

Regarding myself, i didn't know the ESP module has be tbe flashed (i though it was only for the USIFAC itself).

To summarize

- Flash the ESP (with this )
- Connect it, UART position, Ground to Ground
- Check if the power supply is enough (it seems to be the case)
- Congifuration : IWIFI and/or (?)
etc...?
-

Maitresinh

Thanks

Would you have a link to a (simple ?) flashing process ?

poulette73

Quote from: WacKEDmaN on 09:41, 24 October 22the ESP8622 IDF AT Bin is universal... it works on all esp8266 modules...
its this AT command firmware that is required...
the HS06F014 ESP-01S.bin that is included in the zip/link above is exactly that... just an older version than whats currently on the ESP site...

....see if you can connect to the esp8266 via serial... (eg after you flash connect to the serial port)
send 'AT' command
if it doesnt return 'OK' then youve done something wrong...(or you havent got the right baudrate)

this firmware is set for 115200bps (or possibly one of the other lower rate i cant remember) you NEED to disable USB stick, and then change the baudrate on the USIFAC to match the esp8266s baudrate before giving the |wifi command... (usb sets the rate to 1mbit... which is NOT going to work with ESP8266.. max stable is 115200)

if my CPC was working..id do a step by step guide...from flashing to accessing files on a PC from the CPC...

Thanks for your help @WacKEDmaN.

I know the procedure by heart so many times I have done it.

The problem does not come from the flash tool, nor from the files, since it works very well with my ESP-12 module.
USIfAC II works very well too.

The result is the same for my ESP-01 module and my two ESP-07 modules :
The flash works perfectly all the way to 100%.
But ESP-07/ESP-01 modules are not detected by the USIfAC II with the ùWIFI command.
No power or ground concerns, they are properly connected and powered.
Different speed tests with 115200 bps or less.
And remember that my USIfAC II works with ESP-12 module.

And if I test a Windows terminal with AT command : I don't get the OK response.
Either there is no answer, or I get weird characters.
Of course I tested different baud rates.

Unfortunately nothing works, I have already spent so many days (probably weeks.. lol !) there on these worries.

I've looked all over the question but I don't see any solution.

And many PMs exchanged with @ikonsgr too.

ikonsgr

I see a lot of interest about esp modules suddenly :)
To clear things up about connections: for esp modules, there is a special female 4pin connector (ESP 8266 WiFi module port), you DONT have to use the generic UART connector:

https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/usifac-iimake-your-pc-or-usb-stick-an-hdd-for-amstrad-access-dsk-and-many-more!/?action=dlattach;attach=34008;image

Apart from having different gender, the pinout on esp modules, is DIFFERENT from the typical uart connector, so pinout on wifi connector is different from the uart connector!
All Esp modules (either giving the uart port directly, or through a 5v adapter for es01) have a pinout:
Rx Tx + -
And they plug DIRECTLY on the special 4pin felmale connector  (esp module board should face outwards).
BUT, UART connector has a DIFFERENT pinout:
+ - Rx Tx
So if you want to plug esp module on uart connector using dupont wires, you CANT connect cables "one on one" but you must plug it like this:
UART       ESP MODULE
 +            +
 -            -
 Rx           Tx
 Tx           Rx

Hope the above will help you clear things up about connecting wifi modules and USIfAC II :)

poulette73

Of course I always use the specific USIfAC connector (ESP 8266 Wifi module port).
I never used the generic UART connector.