News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Missile Command 2022 [ cpc plus ]

Started by XeNoMoRPH, 08:13, 14 November 22

Previous topic - Next topic

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

TotO

Well... It is just the existing game converted in ROM or I have missed something? :-\
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

Video desc says:
Missile Command 2022  _ New game for Amstrad GX4000 and CPC+
Oldschool design & graphics  for this Amstrad GX4000 Edition .
Adaptation & conception from scratch.

The rest is in a closed FB group (booh!).

TotO

OK, the original from 1987 was a BASIC program on CPC. Nice to have reworked the game so.
Now, I do not understand why it is exclusive to the GX/Plus? The palette is close and the sprites looks soft.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

abalore

you need a plus for this?

Cwiiis

I was wondering why this was made as a Plus game, and also why mode 0... This seems like exactly the sort of game that would make sense in mode 1 and the colour advantage of mode 0 isn't really being taken advantage of here at all. In mode 1, cities could be sprites to achieve 15 colours at the higher resolution and line interrupts could be used to get the most out of the 4 available colours for HUD/background/missile/explosion graphics. I presume the cursor is already a hardware sprite, but if not, it certainly should be...

The plus (sorry) side of a game like this not really taking much advantage of the Plus features is that it can be easily ported to base CPC though, I suppose :)

TotO

@Cwiiis I agree. The taget system and the display mode are not appropriated.
I think that most of the entries of the CPC Retro Dev 2022 looks better.

andycadley

I think some people forget the advantages of the Plus hardware to beginner developers. Letting the hardware take care of things like sprites without having to write your own routines can be a massive boon and maybe enough to get someone's first project over the line. Is it pushing the hardware to the limit? No. Is it an accomplishment if you've never written a game before? Sure.

Brundij

We can keep reducing things to the absurd. Why even use a CPC to play this? Specially nowadays.
Maybe the developer is doing it in a Plus because it's simply his will.

Cwiiis

Indeed, congrats to the team/programmer for a finished, playable project - absolutely to be applauded... But we can still discuss our wishes too :) Perhaps some of the comments here will act as advice or inspiration for their next project!

Brundij

Sure thing. It's just that (and this is something absolutely subjective) it seems sometimes knowledge is taken for granted, and not necersarily everyone knows to do things at such a high level. I'm not involved in the project at all and surely the author(s) can defend themselves their project and much better than me that it's not my intention. But in general in this kind of communities not only the Amstrad scene, seems that if someone doesn't know a system by heart it's something less than a sin to dare to try to do something. Just my 2 cents.
I can be totally wrong but it's an impression I have.

TotO

@Brundij The CPC community has great forums, wiki, tools, knowledge content and lots of competent people on any domain ready to help all over the world, including the Demo Parties to share the knoledge. But... many people starting today on CPC think they're legit in their "retry, ignore or cancel" culture by doing their own "Amstrad begin" on the social networks. Great if they have fun together, discovering by themselve the wheel. :)

Brundij

Quote from: TotO on 21:59, 15 November 22@Brundij The CPC community has great forums, wiki, tools, knowledge content and lots of competent people on any domain ready to help all over the world, including the Demo Parties to share the knoledge. But... many people starting today on CPC think they're legit in their "retry, ignore or cancel" culture by ignoring that to do their own "Amstrad begin" on the social networks. Great if they have fun together, discovering by themselve the wheel. :)
Great, but not everyone has to aim as high as for example you can aim, and is just content with recreate a game that liked in other platform or learning basic or simply enjoy the process of learning by themselves... whatever. There's room for everyone and most people is doing this as a hobby or because they want a challenge creating something in an older system. No one is going to get rich doing this.

TotO

Quote from: Brundij on 22:17, 15 November 22Great, but not everyone has to aim as high as for example you can aim, and is just content with recreate a game that liked in other platform or learning basic or simply enjoy the process of learning by themselves... whatever. There's room for everyone and most people is doing this as a hobby or because they want a challenge creating something in an older system. No one is going to get rich doing this.
Anyone can make pizza at home. Now, if it's to show them to the whole world, you have to expect some pizzaioli comments. ;)

Brundij

By the whole world you mean the few hundreds of people that still uses these old computers? That's quite an optimistic statement :D

TotO

Quote from: Brundij on 00:52, 16 November 22By the whole world you mean the few hundreds of people that still uses these old computers? That's quite an optimistic statement :D
By the whole world, I mean all the audience visibility that someone can expect by using social networks to be seen. Whatever the quantity, the result is the same. Beside that, can you explain to me how the Amstrad CPC World channel can have 1.55K subscribers and 27000 views for a one year old video with few hundreds of people?  :-\

Anyway, this forum (3K members) is a dedicated place where this teaser was shared (393 views) to be commented. :D

andycadley

I just think people could be a bit more positive about new releases. Not everything can be the next Pinball Dreams or Vespertino, and if you discourage those starting out there be less coders around to make those kinds of things in future.

TotO

Quote from: andycadley on 09:08, 16 November 22I just think people could be a bit more positive about new releases. Not everything can be the next Pinball Dreams
Opposite examples, opposite comments. Between that, there are a lot af nice releases. :)

Quote from: andycadley on 09:08, 16 November 22if you discourage those starting out there be less coders around to make those kinds of things in future.
I am against the principle of encouraging the adults childishness... Nice drawing son! <(o + O)> (can do better)

Gryzor

Well it's not exactly a child's drawing; it's good enough and looks pretty playable so I have no problem with it. 

Brundij

Quote from: TotO on 09:48, 16 November 22
Quote from: andycadley on 09:08, 16 November 22I just think people could be a bit more positive about new releases. Not everything can be the next Pinball Dreams
Opposite examples, opposite comments. Between that, there are a lot af nice releases. :)

Quote from: andycadley on 09:08, 16 November 22if you discourage those starting out there be less coders around to make those kinds of things in future.
I am against the principle of encouraging the adults childishness... Nice drawing son! <(o + O)> (can do better)

This is what I meant: Adult childishness you say. Well you may think that at the top of the tower of the Amstrad coders. Not everyone has the privilege to be born with the knowledge you have. You are who states what the minimum standards are. Good for you. Keep living the dream.
There's a big difference between encouraging someone who is learning and despise his work because you are "better" and you keep doing the latter.

trocoloco

Quote from: TotO on 22:36, 15 November 22Anyone can make pizza at home. Now, if it's to show them to the whole world, you have to expect some pizzaioli comments. ;)
The important part of making a pizza at home, whether is made by a kitchen helper or a master chef, it is not about the level of how great the pizza is, but the will of SHARING it with the everyone else. What the people does with it to them to consume or ignore it.
If someone doesn't like someone's pizza, just don't eat it but don't put it down just because you have such "fine" taste to try some chef's food only. ♥ 

Gryzor

Was thinking the same thing. If anyone makes me a pizza I'll gladly devour it. And I love making pizza for my family and friends even though I prefer the one from the small local family shop. 

TotO

Quote from: Brundij on 12:53, 16 November 22Well you may think that at the top of the tower of the Amstrad coders. Not everyone has the privilege to be born with the knowledge you have. You are who states what the minimum standards are. Good for you. Keep living the dream.
There's a big difference between encouraging someone who is learning and despise his work because you are "better" and you keep doing the latter.
I did not think that. I did not said that. Don't try to think for me please: Nobody born with the knowledge, but any people can learn instead of thinking it is enough to do the minimum to have a like... It is encouraging the leveling down to said great when it is not.

Brundij

I'm not trying to think for you. I got enough work thinking for myself.

You may not say it but it's what whoever reads your comment(s) makes out. You still keep saying that there's a minimum to be done. Keep in mind we are reading and it's impossible to figure out the tone you pretend to use. I suggest you should choose your words more carefully if what you say leads to misinterpretations. Anyone can learn something new in any matter.

And fortunately in forums a like always worths the same. Doesn't matter who gives it.

eto

hmh... this got a bit out of control.

I have to admit, I understand both sides. And I can only speak for myself. But this is what happened for me:

Of course not every release needs to be a Pinball Dreams quality release. But also, dealing with expectations can be tricky. Imagine Pinball Dreams would have been announced - and then we would have gotten something comparable to Macadam Bumper. Macadam Bumper is not bad, I love Macadam Bumper - but I would have been disappointed because of the announcement - not because of the game.

And that's what (for me) happened here: I was not disappointed by this particular release because of the game or that it doesn't look like a Plus-game - but because of the announcement that made me anticipate something outstanding. "50th Birthday of Atari", "GX 4000 version" and a great title screen was (maybe unintentionally) raising my expectations to beyond what it delivers.

I can't change it, but that disappointment killed my appreciation that I would normally have for any kind of contribution to the community - outstanding or not. The game itself doesn't seem to be bad and I love it when someone uses the Plus features, even if it also could be mostly done with good CPC programming too. This definitely deserves appreciation and encouragement.

I hope the gameplay is good and then I can appreciate it as it deserves.