News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Vespertino

Started by swansea_karl, 00:55, 29 January 22

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

... Or maybe it isn't?

I mean, it's a hobbyist project of love. Does it look incredible? You bet. Am I looking forward to seeing it? Duh.

So assume it doesn't come out. SO. FUCKING. WHAT. It's their right to prioritize stuff in their lives and afford the relevant attention and effort. Heck, I've been meaning to migrate the forum to a new platform for several years now. I thought I had some time so I did my research, prepared to switch servers, set up the OS, set up docker, almost had it ready and then... Baby Gryzor was born. So sue me.

One thing is calling it vaporware, another (and totally inappropriate) calling it fake. 

Cwiiis

It's weird to me that people are screaming fake when, as great as it looks, it looks absolutely feasible to achieve. The car selection screen is probably delta animations using cartridge space and the game screen is just a very well optimized road drawing routine and likely making liberal use of well-timed palette changes. It's not taking up a huge amount of the screen, so 25Hz is very feasible - it's not like there aren't already decent games of this style from back in the day on the same hardware... The most impressive thing to my eyes is the smooth scaling of the track side objects; I expect they're pre-calculated to some extent (perhaps calculated over several frames and stored in ram?), but that's really well done...

ervin

Yes the roadside objects do look pre-scaled, and appear to be drawn unmasked, which is a very good idea if you're after raw speed. The lack of masking on the sprites is barely noticeable at the speed they fly past anyway.

REALLY looking forward to this game. I hope it sees the light of day one day, but I totally understand if it doesn't reach the finish line (see what I did there?).

NiNxPe

In the few that everyone could see both on the teaser and on the last video, there are a lot of impressive things and never seen before in a racing simulation: Overscan game, extremely smooth animation, ... and certainly a lot of things we don't imagine... The BGs have already shown their power. Who could have imagined that Pinball Dreams would come out one day on CPC, especially Old!
Proof that these guys are capable of anything.
Whether Vespertino comes out or not one day will never take away from the immense respect I have for them, and that, long before the announcement of this racing simulator.
Respect BG - Continue to have fun and to do what u want... and hope to see you again... soon ;)

norecess464

What we see in this video is amazing  8) :-*

As myself an owner of a big project too, I can only go in the sense of Rhino. Creating an ambitous game takes time and dedication, with the other life constraints on the side. Keep in mind we can't spend 8 hours/a day on such a hobby project. Personally, I'm SUPER GLAD they released a glimpse of what were their future project 3 years ago, no matter the time it has to take to complete it.
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

OneVision

I concur with NoRecess : it's simply top notch quality what we could see in the original trailer and now on this new video. I just can't wait to see for real this running on my Amstrad and see how limits can be broken, so many years after the CPC glorious time.

And imagine a remake or hommage to Chase HQ with such an engine. Blow my mind ...

TotO

Quote from: OneVision on 14:21, 17 November 22And imagine a remake or hommage to Chase HQ with such an engine. Blow my mind ...
SCI Chase HQ II on Plus will drop to 1$. :laugh: 
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: TotO on 12:32, 17 November 22
Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 11:49, 17 November 22But months turn into a year...
... a year turns into three and a half years. People are none the wiser.
Maybe people have already forgotten the 2 hard years of covid and the priority of real life over leisures...
Still leaving a year and a half of radio silence, so the point still stands.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not justifying the accusations of it being fake, we all know what BG are capable of and know better. I'm merely saying that when a big bombshell of an announcement is made showing mind blowing video from a machine from 1984 and then nothing for three years, you're going to get sceptics.

Quote from: NiNxPe on 12:42, 17 November 22I think that at some point you have to assume what you claim, especially after such a long time. Even by small touches (GGP knew how to do it).
Maybe BG will (finally!) do it before the end of the year as he announced?
BG lit a fire 3 years ago, unleashing passions and even jealousies (C64). It is up to him to contain the flame without it turning into a gigantic forest fire.
The BG, in the mastery of the CPC, have nothing to prove, but if he feels uncomfortable with criticism it is also up to him to prove the opposite but in a more singly way than a video made with a low-end smartphone. What a difference in communication between the teaser and the last video!...
And if in the end Vespertino never came out, that would in no way taint the power of BG in view of what has already been produced on CPC.
To conclude the BGs:
After more than 3 years, now is the time for a big update, isn't it? ;)
This guy gets it...
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

dthrone

A lot of factors that affect dev time are out of the dev's control.  However the timing of announcements/previews/trailers etc. is fully within the dev's control.  That is maybe where the issue lies, when is appropriate? 

TotO

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 14:37, 17 November 22Still leaving a year and a half of radio silence, so the point still stands.
Well... Plain 2 years don't mean that goes better next. In fact, they have not to give news if they don't want.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Rhino

We finally reached a point of understanding with Dany, he deleted the videos where he claimed the game was fake and we deleted the tweet with the denial, so everything is in peace now.
I'm really glad this drama has a happy ending and not having to waste any more time on this.

Thank you all for the support!

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: TotO on 14:50, 17 November 22
Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 14:37, 17 November 22Still leaving a year and a half of radio silence, so the point still stands.
Well... Plain 2 years don't mean that goes better next. In fact, they have not to give news if they don't want.
I never said they did. 

But when you put out a video with the intent of generating interest and then post nothing about it for 2-3 years, people *will* ask questions about it and the longer it goes on, validity will be questioned.

People are curious by nature, that's how it works.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: dthrone on 14:45, 17 November 22A lot of factors that affect dev time are out of the dev's control.  However the timing of announcements/previews/trailers etc. is fully within the dev's control.  That is maybe where the issue lies, when is appropriate? 
My point exactly.  :)

TotO

Close case

Carnivius

Quote from: dthrone on 14:45, 17 November 22A lot of factors that affect dev time are out of the dev's control.  However the timing of announcements/previews/trailers etc. is fully within the dev's control.  That is maybe where the issue lies, when is appropriate? 
But that wasn't the issue. The troll that started all the fuss was seemingly upset about the old trailer containing a brag that Batman Group were to show the CPC as the best 8-bit computer (and had an issue with the hashtag #AmstradSupremacy) and that upset the troll so much he went on a whole tirade and attacked other people.

Quote from: Rhino on 15:32, 17 November 22We finally reached a point of understanding with Dany, he deleted the videos where he claimed the game was fake and we deleted the tweet with the denial, so everything is in peace now.
I'm really glad this drama has a happy ending and not having to waste any more time on this.

Thank you all for the support!

That's good.  Though his rule-breaking tweets attacking psxdev who was defending Batman Group are still up and have not been deleted.

But yeah I'm done talking about it too. :)  Have a good day. :D
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Gryzor

Ok, now that all's set: WHEN? 😁

TotO

Easy... When finished! ;D

Gryzor

Didn't see that coming

zzarko

I am a C64 user (even a fanboy,if you will), but I do appreciate all the wonderful stuff people are making on other machines too. I enjoyed fantastic 3D stuff recently done on ZX, I enjoyed watching demos on 8bit Atari that are released on every Silly Venture, I enjoyed Pinbal Dreams on CPC and I am sure I will enjoy this game when it comes out.

Yes, there are trolls and people will scream "fake" when they do not understand what can be done on a platform, but I am sure those are a minority (albeit sometimes a vocal one) and I see no sense in addressing them specifically, or being upset about it. Just ignore them and do your stuff at your own pace...
464,664,6128,6128+,NC150,NC200,Joyce512,PPC512, PenPad, www.oncuponabyte.org

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Carnivius

Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

eto

I wonder if this will be the first racing game on the CPC that I truly enjoy :-)

FruityFrank

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="es" dir="ltr">¡¡¡Amigos, seguimos avanzando en el proyecto Vespertino!!! @amstrad @amigawave @jdjuanje @AmstradPower @AmstradEterno @amstradesp pic.twitter.com/dz3fgELXSm</p>&mdash; Batman Group (@BATMAN_GROUP) March 12, 2023 <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jesusdelmas

Quote from: FruityFrank on 12:16, 12 March 23<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="es" dir="ltr">¡¡¡Amigos, seguimos avanzando en el proyecto Vespertino!!! @amstrad @amigawave @jdjuanje @AmstradPower @AmstradEterno @amstradesp pic.twitter.com/dz3fgELXSm</p>&mdash; Batman Group (@BATMAN_GROUP) March 12, 2023
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Yeeesssss will be awesome

Anthony Flack

I'm really curious to see how it looks when moving and scaling opponent cars on the road. This is the where other CPC racers tend to get a little janky. I'd love to see if it can be done better.