News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Missile Command 2022 [ cpc plus ]

Started by XeNoMoRPH, 08:13, 14 November 22

Previous topic - Next topic

eto

or with reference to the Pizza: 

If someone makes a Pizza and a get a slice, I will never be disappointed. If the same Pizza is announced as being a tribute to a great Italian anniversary with very special ingredients - but can then not be distinguished from a normal homemade pizza, I might be disappointed.

Gryzor

Should I split the topic? It's a shame... 

TotO

Quote from: Brundij on 13:53, 16 November 22I'm not trying to think for you. I got enough work thinking for myself.

You may not say it but it's what whoever reads your comment(s) makes out. You still keep saying that there's a minimum to be done. Keep in mind we are reading and it's impossible to figure out the tone you pretend to use. I suggest you should choose your words more carefully if what you say leads to misinterpretations. Anyone can learn something new in any matter.
I don't have to choose the words to become hypocritical, because people are sensitive since everyone lives on the social networks of care bears. I have my own point of view and I'd rather eat good pizza in a democracy. :)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TotO

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:08, 16 November 22Should I split the topic? It's a shame...
That is the shame to be not able to give his point of view on the subjet of the topic.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Brundij

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:08, 16 November 22Should I split the topic? It's a shame...
Yes it is, for my part this is the last message.

TotO, no one is saying you change your opinions. Just change how you say them. It's that easy.

TotO

Quote from: Brundij on 14:21, 16 November 22Just change how you say them. It's that easy.
The way I'm saying them is not the way you are listening them. :)

But, please, be kind to understand that I'm not enjoying this game teaser because it is not as promissing as expected and not Plus related at all for me. I beg your pardon if I'm direct, but behind that, you have to know that guy is censoring any comment about what he does, because he doen't want to progress but to have a visibility.

Futhermore, he has put his name as coder of Pinball Dream on his Youtube video, because he has just hacked the color palette (not code here), to have that usurped glory on his own Facebook channel. So yes, I'm a bit upset against this kind of situation.

Brundij

Well that was something I didn't know. A bit of context helps. That's not a nice thing.

And we had our differences in the past too. Believe me I want to be cool with everyone. Sometimes is harder than others. But that attitude is so common in such a niche hobby like this it upsets me. With that bit of context this argue wouldn't have happened, for my part a least.
Don't worry I'm not the pampering type. Telegram and a couple of forums like this one are the only SN's I use. :D

rexbeng

I'd say, don't split the topic. It's normal for discussions to evolve away from the starting subjects. And there's really not much else to say about 'a video of some game'.

All other things are parts of the culture. In every niche activity there will always be experienced/older participants and novice/newer ones. Experienced participants will always set standards and ethics and novice participants will either follow or go create niches of their own.

So, it's kind of natural that something getting done within such niches will receive criticism, mostly by the more experienced ones. And its equally possible for the criticism to be positive or negative. And it's also kind of natural to have disagreements between the more positive and the negative opinion holders.

The same happens with the niche of (each) retro computer scene. In this very portal, in the front page at the very-very top, there's a 'critical' article highlighting 'the bad and the ugly' in the CPC's 'yesterday culture'. In a way, ethics and standards are set there. There's not much else to it.

Brundij

I'm failing to locate the mentioned article :P

NiNxPe

I am still looking for the need to insist and especially in a mean and sarcastic way on your haughty as the master of the world.
Remarks are necessary for everyone, both on the developer and user side.
However, this must be done intelligently and with respect.  :-*
Afterwards, maybe I'm misinterpreting what I'm reading here, but it exudes unease so much the criticism smells of attack
This is something that unfortunately I find too often in the CPC community.  :picard2:
Be humble.
Coming back down to Earth.  ;)
As said above, we are talking about a machine that will soon be 40 years old, interesting for those who are nostalgic and passionate about a time that is no more.
Let's just be a little cooler, we're all probably old enough to be wiser, aren't we?  8)

andycadley

Quote from: Brundij on 15:53, 16 November 22I'm failing to locate the mentioned article :P
I assume:

https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Speccy_Port

But I also think there is a big difference than games created by commercial developers, for a paycheck, that we were charged money for and games made by amateurs for fun, given away for free. YMMV of course.

NiNxPe

So...... However :
Thank you ToTO for the relevant remarks in substance.
Thanks to XeNoMoRPH for linking the info for this game.
And thanks to the developer for having enriched the poor CPC Plus / GX4000 's Game library.

-Switch ON the CPC- Remember - Be Cool - Have Fun-  :)

rexbeng

Quote from: andycadley on 16:41, 16 November 22But I also think there is a big difference than games created by commercial developers, for a paycheck, that we were charged money for and games made by amateurs for fun, given away for free. YMMV of course.

Ofcourse there is a big difference. There's no deadlines to meet (ok, that's unless participating in a compo) nor money to be made. And the CPC is an obsolete platform. So there's really nothing forcing one to release something that's half-baked, other than one's-self. Everything else is part of the culture; given away for free isn't really a point since that's how things are these days. Good releases are free and bad releases are free, and everyone is free to compare free stuff and speak an opinion on them.

GUNHED

WoW!!! This forum still does really well in demotivating programmers!

Congratulation the this nice game and thanks for the video!  :) :) :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

TotO

Quote from: andycadley on 16:41, 16 November 22I also think there is a big difference than games created by commercial developers, for a paycheck, that we were charged money for and games made by amateurs for fun
Most of the commercial games into the 80s was made by young peoples (14-24 years old) for fun, not really for the money.
The commercial side is another story... A lot of hours spent, not properly payed.

Gryzor

Suspicious link detected. 

Axelay

Quote from: TotO on 08:44, 19 November 22
Quote from: andycadley on 16:41, 16 November 22I also think there is a big difference than games created by commercial developers, for a paycheck, that we were charged money for and games made by amateurs for fun
Most of the commercial games into the 80s was made by young peoples (14-24 years old) for fun, not really for the money.
The commercial side is another story... A lot of hours spent, not properly payed.
I will never understand why some people apply that romanticized idea of young people coding for fun to the entire 80's.  At least in the output from the UK, it was obvious once publishing became consolidated to mostly a small number of large players primarily interested in licensed titles, it was all about the money.  People didn't sign the contracts to make those licensed games in sometimes absurdly tight time frames for fun.

TotO

Quote from: Axelay on 12:16, 19 November 22I will never understand why some people apply that romanticized idea of young people coding for fun to the entire 80's.
The romance is to think that the people who programmed computer games in the 80s were old experienced professionals and did not do this job primarily out of passion. Nobody forced them, especially considering the misery that it was paid for the time spent.

Quote from: Axelay on 12:16, 19 November 22At least in the output from the UK, it was obvious once publishing became consolidated to mostly a small number of large players primarily interested in licensed titles, it was all about the money.  People didn't sign the contracts to make those licensed games in sometimes absurdly tight time frames for fun.
Because the point of view from the young people starting to work to make videogame and the reality of the editor business is two different world. (always into the 90s and sometime today)

Axelay

Quote from: TotO on 12:54, 19 November 22
Quote from: Axelay on 12:16, 19 November 22I will never understand why some people apply that romanticized idea of young people coding for fun to the entire 80's.
The romance is to think that the people who programmed computer games in the 80s were old experienced professionals and did not do this job primarily out of passion. Nobody forced them, especially considering the misery that it was paid for the time spent.

Quote from: Axelay on 12:16, 19 November 22At least in the output from the UK, it was obvious once publishing became consolidated to mostly a small number of large players primarily interested in licensed titles, it was all about the money.  People didn't sign the contracts to make those licensed games in sometimes absurdly tight time frames for fun.
Because the point of view from the young people starting to work to make videogame and the reality of the editor business is two different world. (always into the 90s and sometime today)
I don't think you've understood what I wrote, or you're intentionally misrepresenting it.  I didn't say or imply anything about how old coders were.  It is immaterial to my point.  I meant that the 'spirit' that people try to evoke with the idea of 'young coders in the bedroom having fun' was excised when it became an industry, well before the end of the 80's.

I am not sure what your second point is getting at.  If you are suggesting people took jobs or contracts to convert licensed IP for 'fun' alone, I don't think there's anything to do but agree to disagree.

TotO

Quote from: Axelay on 15:32, 19 November 22I don't think you've understood what I wrote, or you're intentionally misrepresenting it.  I didn't say or imply anything about how old coders were.  It is immaterial to my point.  I meant that the 'spirit' that people try to evoke with the idea of 'young coders in the bedroom having fun' was excised when it became an industry, well before the end of the 80's.
I think that you're taking me out a cliché to caricature the youngs. :)

Indeed, there have been many students who have programmed games from home... But you can be under 24 and work in a company or in any case under contract. At that time, even Ocean UK programmers were working at home and young. You don't fall into this type of passion job by chance, many had already programmed small games and thought it was possible to combine work and passion. Afterwards, there are always exceptions (and older people), but not enough to make a bad novel.

Quote from: Axelay on 15:32, 19 November 22I am not sure what your second point is getting at.  If you are suggesting people took jobs or contracts to convert licensed IP for 'fun' alone, I don't think there's anything to do but agree to disagree.
Not at all.

XeNoMoRPH

abalore

Stuck on that screen in my first try

You cannot view this attachment.

edit: not only in the first try, it always happens

XeNoMoRPH

You must press  Fire 2 to Access to next Level

TotO