News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Hello Folks

Started by Archbishop, 00:02, 19 January 23

Previous topic - Next topic

Archbishop

Hi Y'all New member down in the Garden of England. Retired now and looking to breath some life into 6128 with green screen...its been rather neglected in my garage for over 40 years...dead as the python parrot... can we fix it!  :)

jimmyd

Welcome and good luck with your restoration project.

Gryzor

Well, it's probably just resting  :D

Welcome here!

robcfg

Welcome!

You'd be surprised how sturdy the CPCs are and how many hours of fun it will give you  :D

Cheers,
Rob

martin464

Another CPC emerges from the gloom! On 2 of mine out of 3 I had to clean the power switch, if no red light. Shorting the switch with a screwdriver to check. The switch comes apart with enough swearing. Also had to attempt to sand the contacts inside power socket to improve contacts there
CPC 464 - 212387 K31-4Z

"One essential object is to choose that arrangement which shall tend to reduce to a minimum the time necessary for completing the calculation." Ada Lovelace

Devlin

Quote from: martin464 on 10:53, 19 January 23Another CPC emerges from the gloom! On 2 of mine out of 3 I had to clean the power switch, if no red light. Shorting the switch with a screwdriver to check. The switch comes apart with enough swearing. Also had to attempt to sand the contacts inside power socket to improve contacts there

I ended up using a cut down cotton pad with IPA on it to clean mine. The FILTH was terrifying, but my CPC works much better for it.
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

martin464

You cleaned it with beer? ok I'm going to try that
CPC 464 - 212387 K31-4Z

"One essential object is to choose that arrangement which shall tend to reduce to a minimum the time necessary for completing the calculation." Ada Lovelace

Rabs

Quote from: Archbishop on 00:02, 19 January 23Hi Y'all New member down in the Garden of England. Retired now and looking to breath some life into 6128 with green screen...its been rather neglected in my garage for over 40 years...dead as the python parrot... can we fix it!  :)
Welcome. Hope you get your 6128 going. I have had lots of help from everyone on the forum getting dead CPCs back to life. Watch Noel's Retro Lab YouTube channel, this where I started.

Archbishop

Wow! Thanks for the welcome Guys. I think your enthusiasm is catching...have not taken anything apart yet. Some time ago when I fired it up in the garage it loaded the start-up screen, now several weeks later turn it on, no life in the keyboard and the screen is getting a signal but remains blank, can adjust the brightness with the front dials on the green screen monitor. Having a family health issue at the moment so its again on the back burner but will be diving in with the suggestion the on/off keyboard switch needs a look. Quite sure looking across the forum that its going to be an interesting and productive ride. Main thing I look forward to is seeing what I have on my disks-a trip back in time to the 70's.

Carnivius

Welcome and I hope you manage to get that CPC all fixed up. :)
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Archbishop

Quote from: martin464 on 17:52, 19 January 23You cleaned it with beer? ok I'm going to try that
Care you haven't drunk it first  ;D

skylas

Welcome!
Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET ON AMSTRAD CPC!
PENALTY KICKS!
CAPITAL QUIZ!
CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition)
HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ)
HEART CHASER 1,2,3!
BARBOUTI!
STROOPIE!
BUDRUMI!
ART WAR!
BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!
AMSTABOO!
RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE 1 and 2!

Archbishop

Guess what, your invaluable advice about the on/off switch was spot on! After what must be over 40 years of water bursts, engines and gearboxes oils, many drops from heights the flipsing thing still works! Those who said it was durable were not kidding, thanks Guys! Now to the recovery of data, I have 9 disks, only one side of one coming up with errors, read the bible and reminded how to start cpm, made a directory of whats on the 9 disks (photo'd the screen) and next session have to remember how to load up my supercalc 2 files, how to connect my dmp2000 or HP4L printers....I'm like a kid at christmas LOL! 8)

Gryzor

Fun times indeed🙂