News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Found a nice audio-as-code playground

Started by BSC, 18:08, 02 March 23

Previous topic - Next topic

BSC

I recently found a great online tool for those with an interest in the intersection of code and music: dittytoy! Like shadertoy for sound :)

I have also made a first little demo tune, https://dittytoy.net/ditty/2996ac5e45, but the more impressive stuff there was made by some of the other users.

Would be nice to be seeint some tunes by fellow Amstradists in the future :)
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

HAL6128

On the right side there's a code displayed. Is this the source of the sound?
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

BSC

Quote from: HAL6128 on 19:50, 02 March 23On the right side there's a code displayed. Is this the source of the sound?
Exactly! If you're interested in understanding or writing ditties, I'd recommend the docs: https://dittytoy.net/syntax#getting-started .. That's actually a really powerful toy there.
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

HAL6128

Impressive to see what is possible with such "less/small" code.
Also interesting that documentation claims that you shouldn't expect a easy-to-follow application. It's for coder's targeted.
Back to the roots?
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

Prodatron

Quote from: HAL6128 on 20:57, 02 March 23Impressive to see what is possible with such "less/small" code.
The code is 7754 bytes.
The original CPC compiled Arcane.st2 is 3200 (including 128byte BIN header).
:P

(no doubt that this is impressive anyway! :) )

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

Zik

Wow, nice demo! I actually like FM sounds very much.
Thanks, I did not know this tool, it definitely requires some of my attention. Bookmarked!

BSC

Quote from: Prodatron on 21:30, 02 March 23The code is 7754 bytes.
The original CPC compiled Arcane.st2 is 3200 (including 128byte BIN header).
You are comparing apples with oranges, though. The 3200 bytes on the CPC contain machine code, the assembler source of that would easily be 5 to 10 times as big. But then Javascript is a much more high-level language than assembly, so that shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

BSC

Quote from: HAL6128 on 20:57, 02 March 23Impressive to see what is possible with such "less/small" code.
Also interesting that documentation claims that you shouldn't expect a easy-to-follow application. It's for coder's targeted.
Back to the roots?
Kind of .. I like the fact that everything (synths, the player, the notes, effects etc.) is really close together, at your fingertips so to say, and I don't have to use a mouse. Having everything as code makes it more complicated and easier at the same time :) It's actually quite similar to shader-coding, where you also create everything (whole worlds if you are IQ or someone closely clever) only from code.

BSC

A new Ditty made by me, celebrating the 20st anniversary of Hysteria by MUSE. 

https://dittytoy.net/ditty/7918dc2b3b