News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Which apps do you use on your CPC?

Started by CrookieMonster, 08:01, 19 March 23

Previous topic - Next topic

CrookieMonster

Many serious apps have been created for the CPC but which ones do you return to time and time again. In other words, what are the most essential apps for CPC users today?

abalore

It's difficult to make something serious with a system with no HD and very limited RAM, but if you want to keep some information in secret, like a small database or text document, make it in the Amstrad with some database or word processor software. I bet the CSI cannot find it.

In the other hand, BASIC is a powerful tool to quick test algorithms, math expressions, or as a simple, instant calculator.

Gryzor

Wouldn't it be cool if someone, using one of the existing network solutions, made a ChatGPT front end? 

Prodatron

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:24, 19 March 23Wouldn't it be cool if someone, using one of the existing network solutions, made a ChatGPT front end?
We were speaking about this on a CPC/8bit meeting this weekend.
Would be really funny :D

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

Gryzor

Quote from: Prodatron on 16:59, 19 March 23
Quote from: Gryzor on 16:24, 19 March 23Wouldn't it be cool if someone, using one of the existing network solutions, made a ChatGPT front end?
We were speaking about this on a CPC/8bit meeting this weekend.
Would be really funny :D

And, I would think, rather doable? 

TotO

I use X0r-b1T. to store on my computer some informations that require the CPC to get back.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Prodatron

I am using SymAmp as a jukebox player for all kind of musik.
Especially on 8bit and demo scene meetings this is quite cool. You don't need any other music source, you can just use your CPC - maybe with some additional sound devices - and have fun.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

CrookieMonster

I still fire up Protext - it remains a very decent word processor. I'd be interested to hear of any PD apps that still prove useful today.

Nich

I still use JL-Copy to copy files to and from discs. It appeared on an Amstrad Action covertape and I find it really useful.

Devlin

Quote from: CrookieMonster on 09:13, 20 March 23I still fire up Protext - it remains a very decent word processor. I'd be interested to hear of any PD apps that still prove useful today.
Pretty much my only "productivity" thing I use besides games. With a RAM expansion on the way, I'm thinking of having a play around with some of the more RAM-hungry softwares though.
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

Sid_

Impdraw, orgams, sysco  for a regular usage

GUNHED

Quote from: CrookieMonster on 08:01, 19 March 23Many serious apps have been created for the CPC but which ones do you return to time and time again. In other words, what are the most essential apps for CPC users today?
Well, then...

Text: Prowort, FutureTex (sometimes Protext and Maxam)
Assembler: MAXAM on ROM
Management of ROMs: ROManager 2.4.3
Graphics: G-Paint, Advanced OCP Art studio
Sprites: Kane
Map Editor: GSEd
All kinds of work with files: FutureOS
Speech: LambdaSpeak FS ROM software (also for playing MP3s etc.)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)