News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

What would you would like to see.....

Started by 8BitFormat, 10:45, 28 May 11

Previous topic - Next topic

8BitFormat

....in a new 8 Bit computer fanzine?

Later this year will see the launch of the first issue of a new fanzine dedicated to reporting on the latest and greatest from the ever eventful 8 BIT scene.  From the CPC to the ZX81 and with everything else in between, the fanzine aims to cover newly released hardware and software in more detail than any other 8 BIT resource. A bold statement, but one in which the idea behind the fanzine has been built upon.

A 16 page PDF sampler is currently being produced and will be released shortly which will give you an insight into what the fanzine is all about, an overview of the writing style and examples of the types of articles you are likely to find within its pages when Issue 1 is finally released.

This introduction post is really to highlight the pending sampler release and to find out if our table of contents matches to what you as potential readers would like to see within its pages and we would therefore appreciate it if you could write a short reply detailing what you would like or even expect to see in such a publication.  All I will say is that nothing is forbidden as long as it is 8 Bit, current and community based in one way or another.

For those of you who might be interested in contributing to the project, well there will be opportunities (paid ones of course) but more information about the first issue and those potential opportunities will be made nearer the time.  If anyone would like to show interest in contributing, then please get in touch.

Thank you for reading this post and may we show our appreciation in advance for those who take the time out to reply.

8BitFormat

sigh

I would love to see interviews with past 8 bit game musicians, artists and programmers.

MacDeath

I want to see real computer stuff...

Many so called 8bit event or stuff or publications are in fact mostly Nintendo 8bit... which is quite Sad for me who had no console at the time.

8BitFormat

QuoteI would love to see interviews with past 8 bit game musicians, artists and programmers.

If it was relevant to what ws happening in the scene then this would defiantely be something to offer where possible, however for XYS's views on the making of such-and-auch a game from 1985, you will be wanting to subscribe to RetroGamer.

QuoteI want to see real computer stuff...Many so called 8bit event or stuff or publications are in fact mostly Nintendo 8bit... which is quite Sad for me who had no console at the time.

No this will be 100% 8 Bit computer based, not a console in sight.  And as it will be dedicated to the scene, it will concentrate on new hardware and software for ALL 8 Bit machines.

Thanks for those comments, but please keep them coming.

sigh

Quote from: 8BitFormat on 18:14, 28 May 11
...however for XYS's views on the making of such-and-auch a game from 1985....

Not this. Not a "making of", but more of an interview about how the person got onto the scene, the companies they worked for, the games they made, techniques used etc:

Here's an example:

http://www.codetapper.com/amiga/interviews/ronald-pieket-weeserik/

8BitFormat

Oh I see....

The only way I would see that working within the structure of the fanzine would be if said developer had created a new game / piece of hardware.  Then you might be able to get away with a developer gameography (for want of a better phrase).

If the developer is not active within the scene then we would be looking at a "retro" article which although may be interesting, would not fit into the ethos of the publication.

AMSDOS

Interviews have all sort of been done before in a sense, though it makes more sense to do something of this period.

Though I'm found it interesting that younger generations of today are fond of these computers of the 80s! Perhaps an article on that along with a poll of some kind with an emphasis on what got them into the technology!  :)  Somehow I feel there aren't too many people out there like that, though I'd love to be proved wrong in that sense.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

Really nice... will it be printed? If so, what will the price be, approximately?

We could really publicise it here in the wiki's front page...

8BitFormat

The sampler released soon will be a 16 page PDF free to the world.  After this, issues will be released on paper first, followed by a free PDF when the next paper issue is due.  So the free PDF of issue 1 will be made available when the paper issue 2 is released (therefore those who do not want to pay will always be 1 issue behind). 

Printed prices have not been 100% confirmed,  however as it will be home printed to begin with (in true fanzine fashion) we would be looking at around a 64 page A5 publication at a cost of no more than £2.99 delivered to the UK and postage at cost worldwide.  Subscriptions will be cheape of course.

If you don't mind getting the information later then the free PDF is always an option.

QuoteThough I'm found it interesting that younger generations of today are fond of these computers of the 80s! Perhaps an article on that along with a poll of some kind with an emphasis on what got them into the technology!  :)  Somehow I feel there aren't too many people out there like that, though I'd love to be proved wrong in that sense.

There are lots of possible articles that come out of being scene specific, this being one of them and is something I feel that would be better covered once the publication has found a decent size readership (if for no other reason that it will have a better pool of resources to draw upon by then).  I can see that being a particularly good reader contribution article if I am being honest.

Gryzor

I'll definitely buy the first edition... Good luck! :)

8BitFormat

The sampler is coming.....will post more nearer the time.

It may not be as diverse as I would have liked it but it will hopfully ignite a desire in a few others to come on board an fill in few of the blanks.

A couple of weeks at the most I'd say, but I have a fishing trip and a wedding to cram in before then!