News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Little MODE 1 pic

Started by mr_lou, 17:27, 02 October 09

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

Check out this little MODE 1 picture my girlfriend did. :)

http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/46860.htm

ervin

Beautiful!
It always amazes me what can be achieved in only 4 colours, by someone with talent.

genesis8

Do you mind if I put this picture on my amstrad news site ?

mr_lou

Thanks for the feedback ervin! :)
I'll be sure to pass it along.

Quote from: genesis8 on 01:31, 04 October 09
Do you mind if I put this picture on my amstrad news site ?

Go right ahead and use the picture for your site. :)

TomEtJerry

Hello,

Very good picture ! What a talented family :-).

I think this picture would be nicer with rasters. I suppose it is possible to change the color of the water. The mushrooms can be have their own color too :-).

T&J/GPA

mr_lou

Quote from: TomEtJerry on 15:10, 04 October 09
I think this picture would be nicer with rasters. I suppose it is possible to change the color of the water. The mushrooms can be have their own color too :-).

I did think about rasters. But I don't know how to implement it, and besides, it wouldn't work in this picture because of the big tree in the foreground. It uses 3 colors already, so it wouldn't be possible to split the screen at the water.

But she might try doing a MODE 1 picture with rasters later.
But my CPC coding skills are poor. I don't suppose anyone can give me some simple C code that shows me how to change colors at a certain rasterline? Some simple loop, I imagine, Using Z88DK and CPCRSLIB. Could be fun to try out some day.

arnoldemu

Quote from: mr_lou on 06:35, 05 October 09
I did think about rasters. But I don't know how to implement it, and besides, it wouldn't work in this picture because of the big tree in the foreground. It uses 3 colors already, so it wouldn't be possible to split the screen at the water.

But she might try doing a MODE 1 picture with rasters later.
But my CPC coding skills are poor. I don't suppose anyone can give me some simple C code that shows me how to change colors at a certain rasterline? Some simple loop, I imagine, Using Z88DK and CPCRSLIB. Could be fun to try http://cpcwiki.eu/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=3152;topic=396.0;num_replies=5;ee033e2=80eb5c1aaffeae6a3617f81cd17d49cc#out some day.
Use ConvImgCPC.
Design the picture on the PC and try to limit where you use more than the 4 colours, then use ConvImgCPC to see how it converts. Then edit your picture so that it will convert perfectly?
This program comes with code to display the picture too.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

mr_lou

Quote from: arnoldemu on 20:44, 05 October 09
Use ConvImgCPC.
Design the picture on the PC and try to limit where you use more than the 4 colours, then use ConvImgCPC to see how it converts. Then edit your picture so that it will convert perfectly?
This program comes with code to display the picture too.

That's the procedure we're using already, but I don't see how that would make it possible to use rasters like suggested above.

Unless I'm misunderstanding. We're not talking about using the borders, right? Aren't we talking about using more than 4 colors in MODE 1?

This picture isn't suitable for rasters in my opinion.

Also, I can't find any functionality in ConvImgCpc to generate code that displays the picture. I'm using v0.79f and can only find v0.14 online. Is there some newer version that makes it possible to create MODE 1 images that uses more than the 4 colors and then generates the code to display them?

TomEtJerry

Hello,

I really think the picture is suitable for MODE 1 extended colors. I will try to do a little something with it. Coding rasters is really easy, boring but easy :-).

T&J/GPA

voXfReaX

Quote from: TomEtJerry on 22:18, 06 October 09
Hello,

I really think the picture is suitable for MODE 1 extended colors. I will try to do a little something with it. Coding rasters is really easy, boring but easy :-).

T&J/GPA

Perfect!!! I wait for the final version!!!
Go Tom&Jerry!!! GO!!!! :)

we speak,
voXfReaX

TomEtJerry

Hello,

I took an hour to make a little rasters routine for this nice picture with WINAPE. You can find the result here :

http://tj.gpa.free.fr/temp/rasters.zip

Well, I think the picture needs some light modifications (one of the mushrooms at the left of the screen should be moved to be completly red :-) ), but the result is not too bad in my opinion.

Hope to see soon a MODE 1 rastered slideshow from Denmark :-)

Hervé

voXfReaX

Quote from: TomEtJerry on 21:28, 10 October 09
Hello,

I took an hour to make a little rasters routine for this nice picture with WINAPE. You can find the result here :

Well, I think the picture needs some light modifications (one of the mushrooms at the left of the screen should be moved to be completly red :-) ), but the result is not too bad in my opinion.

Hope to see soon a MODE 1 rastered slideshow from Denmark :-)

Hervé

Good work Tom et Jerry!

Can you also code some rasters in order to change the color of the lake?

@mr. lou: force your wife to design more CPC screens! She's really good :)

we speak,
voxfreax

TomEtJerry

Hello,

That's not easy to change the colour of the lake, because ink 3 is also used in the tree at the left, and it's too close.

Looking again at the screen, I could have changed the colour of the mushroom at the right with a little more complicated split raster.

T&J/GPA

mr_lou

Quote from: TomEtJerry on 21:28, 10 October 09
I took an hour to make a little rasters routine for this nice picture with WINAPE. You can find the result here

Not bad. Didn't think it was possible to change that much. Aren't you using more than 4 colors pr line at the bottom? I didn't know that was possible. I thought the rule was "4 colors pr. rasterline".

Another thing is the colors. I must admit somehow I still like the original better, for some reason....

TomEtJerry

Hello,

Yes, you can change the value of a colour more than 4 times per line. I don't exactly remember the limit, look at some old demos that use this technic :-) (maybe 8).

In this example, the split rasters are very simple, only 2 changes per line for INK 2, nothing really amazing.

I am not a graphic artist, so the colour choice is probably not the best one :-). You can play with the program if you want to (easy to patch it "by fly" with Winape F7 key).

T&J/GPA

MacDeath

To use those rasters need the picture to be especially designed.

It may seems easier if the picture include diagonale shapes for exemple.

And you may have to modify a bit in order to get your "change line" at the right place.

A good thing come from the many blue variant from the Old CPC palette (Many greens too).

I consider the Raster colours changes to be like some kind of colour attribute (see Spectrum technics...) yet not per characters but per Rasterline (scanline)

Gryzor

Gotta love a girl that paints in CPC modes... well done, friend, well done. We're proud for you :)