News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC 664

Started by 46hudson, 14:56, 09 October 11

Previous topic - Next topic

46hudson

I have an Amstrad CPC 664 with colour monitor, printer, loads of games on disc and tape.
I bought it new in 1985 and it's in great condition.
What's it worth?

46hudson

Oh... I also have the original handbook!

Zetr0

Thats a very loaded question

as to some it might be worth next to nothing, where as others might send you their first born... at the end of the day, the real worth of an item, is what you are prepared to sell it for.

how much is it worth to you?

what would be the least you want from it?

Alternatively you can review existing sales and see what they sold for, this should give you a rough selling price for certain areas - other areas / countries will differ

I will say the UK 664 is a little uncommon, and as such could be sought after if you find those that want it.

good luck with your sales.

If I had a hammer.....

steve

If you sell it on ebay, you will find out what people are willing to pay for it, which is not the same as what it is worth.

Are you prepared to pack it up well and post it?, Abroad?

You will severely restrict your market if you are not prepared to send it to the buyer.

There is somebody listing a CPC464 with colour monitor and games for £350, no-one will pay that, they usually sell for £20-£45.

You might get £100, more if you are lucky.

Someone bought about 7 CPC's in one lot for just over £125 a while back including a CPC664.

Gryzor

Well, 20-45 GBP is on the low-end of the scale; they're cheap right now, but I expect them to get back up in a while. A couple of years ago they were selling for more than 100 euros or even pounds...

fano

In France , 664 in good condition is pretty difficult to find , got mine for 50€ but i had chance and i made 200kms to get it (found another one near my home but keyboard was wrong)
The last on i saw went for more than 150€ on ebay (fr) , to be honnest i was not ready to spend so much money for it.
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

Cholo

Id guess roughly £80 on ebay (uk) for the keyboard alone.
If its a genuine 664 use manual (and not just a 464 or 6128) i guess £10-20.
And another £20 for the screen.
Sold as one lot probably £90-120.

Ive seen the keyboard alone being sold for £100-ish, but it depends so much on who bids/wants it at the time. At those prices collectors usually only want one so once they get one they stop bidding on further ones.

MacDeath

QuoteWhat's it worth?
To be fair it is not as good as a proper CPC6128 IMO.

But this is only technically speaking.

concerning the market aspect, it is a piece of collection, as rare as a 464PLUS perhaps...

And minus the Extra RAM, it features all the sweet thing a CPC craves for : a disk Drive And Tape plug (sad my 6128PLUS don't have this...).

Also the blue keys are fun, but sometimes the keyboard becomes faulty too.

QuoteAt those prices collectors usually only want one so once they get one they stop bidding on further ones.
Some speculators would buy it to destroy it so the price would eventually raise as it becomes rarer... :o

na... this would be too vicious... :D   

fano

Quote from: MacDeath on 22:12, 11 October 11
To be fair it is not as good as a proper CPC6128 IMO.
I think too , this is a nice "rare" object and i am happy to own one (i really love blue keys and massive design) but i must admit it is far to be good as the 6128 , especially in terms of ergonomy because of the keyboard layout and size (far too big compared to 6128)
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

ralferoo

There was a 664 on ebay recently that went for £50, but it didn't look to be very good condition.The metal strip above the keyboard was bent which made me think the computer had probably had a hard life. Naturally, it was sold untested too.

Definitely look at shipping options - if you hunt around the different couriers, you should be able to ship the computer and monitor within the UK for about £20. Alternatively, most interested people probably don't really care about the monitor (although it's always a shame to split them up) given the relative scarcity of the 664. Definitely offer collection as an option though - because that way you'll get local people bidding more because they've factored in the saving in postage cost.

However, collection only is also a sure-fire guarantee to get peanuts for it. I've got things like a perfect condition 6128 and monitor, original boxes and a load of disks for £13 (actually, I left them double that amount because I felt so guilty), and equally I've not bid on auctions that went to peanuts on computers I wanted because the petrol costs to fetch it would have been too high.

For me though, the only real reason to get a 664 is the keyboard. I always envied those light blue keys when I was younger (I had a 464) and never really liked the 6128 styling (although now I've got one, I'm getting to quite like it). That said, the 664 keyboards are supposed to be really fragile, prone to breaking and next to impossible to fix (unless you're Bryce, I guess :) so I'd always be a bit wary of getting one...

ralferoo

Oh, and if you stick it on ebay, definitely post a link to it so we don't miss it... :)

MacDeath

QuoteI always envied those light blue keys when I was younger
me too... definitly a good colour combinaison.
and never really liked the 6128 styling
what styling ? we're talking about pure efficacity/efficiency here...

while the CPC464 and 664 are massive as hell, 6128 is compact and ergonomical.

Also the arrow keys on the upper part of the board is not  a good idea, but the Deltoidal ones on cpc664 are just too good looking.