News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

NEW ATARI 600XL COMPUTER IN CLOSED NEVER OPEN BOX

Started by 00WReX, 11:19, 03 November 11

Previous topic - Next topic

00WReX

Not sure if this has been posted previously...

Someone in the United States is selling brand new in the box Atari 600xl's

The listing says more than 10 available  :o :o :o

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-ATARI-600XL-COMPUTER-CLOSED-NEVER-OPEN-BOX-/200669854303?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb8dafa5f

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Bryce

Very tempting, but only really interesting to complete the collection. The 800XL (which I have several of) and the 65/800XE/130XE (which I also own) are much more interesting for general use.

Still, I might be tempted, €47 is a bargain (assuming the customs people don't decide to pile on the duty).

Any chance that he has a pallet full of new 1200XLs lying around there too?

Bryce.

00WReX

Yes, very tempting...even for me (I have a CPC only collection).
I did have a good mate at the end of our street that had one of these and I played around on it a bit back in the day.
So a bit of nostalgia is tempting me...I'm pretty sure his was the 600XL.
Can these play the Atari 2600 cartridges (that slot in the top) ??? As I am pretty sure we plugged 2600 cartridges into the mates one...

Cheers,
Shane

:o :o :o  Just checked out this guy's ebay store...
just for interest, check it out....http://stores.ebay.com.au/jett-sale2003?_trksid=p4340.l2563
maybe you need a plane to get you to work... ;D ;D ;D
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rockwell-Sabreliner-T39A-Cargo-READY-GO-MUST-SEE-/160672730701?pt=Motors_Aircraft&hash=item2568d74e4d
or even a cargo plane....
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1969-737-275C-factory-built-CARGO-DOOR-/160671460182?pt=Motors_Aircraft&hash=item2568c3eb56
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Gryzor

Ooh, great price, too!

I don't think customs would impose any duties since this is an old machine. At most they'd charge VAT - still a pretty good bargain!

Bryce

No, Atari 2600 cartridges are neither pin compatible, nor would the software run on an XL. The 2600 was based on the 6507 CPU, whereas the XL series used the 6502. The instruction set is similar (6507 is a cut-down version of the 6502), but the 2600 has only 128bytes of RAM and no interrupts.
The 5200 console couldn't even play 2600 cartridges without an adaptor module.
The XL cartridges do look similar, but they have more pins and a slider to protect them. The downfall of the 600XL was that it only had 16K. The 800XL was a little bit bigger, but had 64K and (more importantly for moding them today) had an S-Video signal which could be tapped off, or was even routed to a socket on some versions :)

Bryce.

Bryce

@Gryzor: I was tempted by the Rockwell Sabreline until I noticed that the left engine seems to have flown a lot more than the right engine? I prefer both engines to run for the entire duration of the flight :D

Eitherway, my PPL doesn't allow me to fly jet planes, so I'll have to stick to small propellor planes for now :(

Bryce.

00WReX

Thanks for the info Bryce, I knew he had a couple of cartridges that he plugged in the top...I thought they may have been 2600 ones.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Gryzor

Quote from: Bryce on 13:22, 03 November 11
@Gryzor: I was tempted by the Rockwell Sabreline until I noticed that the left engine seems to have flown a lot more than the right engine? I prefer both engines to run for the entire duration of the flight :D

Eitherway, my PPL doesn't allow me to fly jet planes, so I'll have to stick to small propellor planes for now :(

Bryce.

Not sure why you addressed this to me, but if you like your propellers then here's an interesting tidbit: up until a few years ago the War museum in Athens (very near my house, and very interesting too) had a Spitfire Mk IXc in its yard. I must have a photo of me standing next to its cockpit on a ladder somewhere. Anyhow, after a British museum offered to buy it for an obscene amount of money they decided to withdraw it in order to prevent it from being stolen (like how exactly I'll never know). If you save up enough...

PS Also of interest, in their collection: A Ju-52 downed during the battle of Leros, a Ju-87 Stuka, a Bristol Blenheim Mk IV F (in bad condition. Shot down over the sea by the Brits themselves -oops, mistake!- and now being overhauled) and a Curtiss Helldiver SB2C-5 (one of five in existence!). Engines are go!

Bryce

Oops, it was 00WRex that posted that link :)

<Way Off Topic>
I like propellor planes, but if I had the choice I'd fly jets too! Just I can't afford to do a jet license :( PPL is expensive enough as it is and that limits me to single engine propellor planes (with nose wheel - So I couldn't fly the spitfire either :( ).
</Way Off Topic>

Bryce.

rexbeng

Oh, nice price!  :o  Gryzor, if you decide to go for it, count me in for a piece as well. Maybe the p&p cost will be less if we share.

And obviously I mean the 600XL, not the plane  :P

rb

Gryzor

Nahhh unfortunately not. Were it some other time I'd already bought a couple, but not at this hour (and I've already spent my quota on some sealed 3" disks anyhow) :(

Bryce

Do you intend opening and using the discs, or keeping them sealed? I have a few (5 or 6) sealed CF2s and it's a dilema that I haven't quite solved for myself yet.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Open them? Hell no! :D I've got enough 3" disks for a while, so I want them like that. Maybe I'll open just one to frame it (seriously)...

See, it's not the classic dilemma of what to do with, say, a sealed game; if you've got much more of the same then it's worth keeping them that way.

These are the ones I got. €30 for ten sealed disks is not too much...

steve

Even has the original cardboard box they came in, probably more of a collectors item than the disks themselves.

Gryzor

Hahaha! True, but it's only a carton box. If it was labeled or something, then that would be another story...

I'm willing to sell the box :D

steve

Being just a plain white box is part of what makes it special, only those of us who know the secret will appreciate it for what it is.
I have one myself, but years ago I started using it to store other things in, so I am not sure of it's current condition or location ::)

00WReX

I have 4 brand new & sealed Maxell 3" disc's...don't think they will ever get opened.
These were such a surprose when I received them as I did not know I was getting them  :o
I also received 5 complete sets (10 disc's) of brand new unused 6128 System Disc's that I did not know I was getting.
Plus a brand new, still sealed in it's bag 6128 user manual.
Long, long...long story...but extremly short version is that I stumbled across a school teacher in South Australia that had saved a couple of 6128 systems from being thrown out.
Basically the High school used 6128's as their computers...when it was time to upgrade, they were going to throw out the 6128's.
This teacher decided to grab a couple of systems and put them in his garage, he also grabbed a heap of other bits & pieces.
He never used them, but thought someone would want them one day... :o
So when I get onto him back in mid 2003 (totally random email I sent after reading a message on an education department forum), he said he could not remember what he had, but would send everthing, he did not want any money, but I had to pay the courier cost (I'm in Victoria so about 750km away).
All I knew for sure was that I was getting 2x 6128's, one with colour screen the other green.
So when it turned up with over 40 discs, 2 user manuals, one brand new unopened, brand new system discs, brand new & sealed Maxell 3" disc's...genuine software including some probably rare educational software produced by the South Australian Education Department...

It was quite exciting unpacking it all...

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Gryzor

Bryce

It's a blank carton, but that's the way they came, so it's original too.

I have a box of around 130 opened or used Amsoft and Maxell discs, so I won't open the sealed ones any time soon.

Bryce.

Gryzor

We're on the same page then :)

These are lovely items, if I find a decent frame it'll make a nice piece of decoration, just like the keyboard (well, more like a membrane) from the Atari 400. I wanted to frame a 40015 as well but it's pretty thick...

MacDeath

Atari 8 bit ?

This SO complicated computer that they only found out recently that there is more than a simple "Mode 0 in 4 colours" on it ?

:P

Also pokey is not quite in tune...

how fun, at Gamopat.com (french retro site) there are a lot of Atarifags... er... fans... (or coolers ?)

The sad part is that many of those were quite decent 8 bit computers, but actually the video modes are quite hard to use well... that's terrible...

Amstrads were perhaps on the heavier side (bit wise) so a bit sluggish, but hey, the simplest yet efficient video mdoes...

funy stuff...
Atari abandonned the Atari 8 bit to the 16bitter ST...
But then also abandonned the ST (Falcon) to... console, the thing they screwed up so badly in the past (appart for the Lynx... but hey, better long play (battery) than colours, mister gameboy...).

Fuuuuuuu...

Falcon was awesome machine.
Even STE was...