News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Three 6128 and a lot of screws

Started by ced64k, 12:21, 11 March 12

Previous topic - Next topic

ced64k

Hi,

I'm trying to reassemble three 6128, but I have a little screws problem for the keyboard :)

Can you tell me which ones to use? It is possible that this is 6 big "A" screws ?

Thanks !

Edit: I think I found. Hole 1 and 3 aren't for the keyboard, it's the other side of the case. And 4 big "A" screws in  the other holes. It's ok ?

archcosmo

short answer - yes
there should be six of those A screws. they're used to attach the keyboard assembly to the top half of the computer

There's also five of the C & one of B screws which are used on the bottom half of the computer - you'll find that the B screw will match the hole closest to the monitor socket & 12 volt power cord (on the underside)

you'll also need two other screws (D perhaps?) to attach the top half to the 3 inch drive mechanism - they're a different thread pitch & diameter entirely, and don't fit to the other spots

hope this helps!

ced64k

ced64k

MacDeath

now you just need some etherCPCnet solution...

steve

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

00WReX

Shame about the one with the missing keys...

Did you just pick up these CPC's, and were they in bits when you got them or did you forget where all the screws went after pulling them apart :) .
What's the plan now...keep or sell ?

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

ced64k

Quote from: MacDeath on 17:41, 11 March 12
now you just need some etherCPCnet solution...

Haha :)

Quote from: 00WReX on 08:05, 12 March 12
Shame about the one with the missing keys...

Did you just pick up these CPC's, and were they in bits when you got them or did you forget where all the screws went after pulling them apart :) .
What's the plan now...keep or sell ?

Cheers,
Shane

It's a long story :

First purchase
1) QWERTY "french alsacian" : I got scammed, I paid 45€ for this %^`3 (missing key springs, broken space bar, no fdd sticker, etc). The fdd works for reading, but not for writing, strange. All the screws was present. The monitor (spanish) is working well.

Second purchase
Two 6128 for 10€
2) AZERTY french : Keyboard, fdd and casing are ok. It's from 1988. Monitor is not fully bright and one hook for the power cable has been broken/glued.
3) QWERTY UK : Power led not working : fixed. Casing ok. One part of the keyboard is not working. New belt, but I still have Read fail. Lot of screws missing.

So I think I'll keep the n° 2, it fully works + the n°1 spanish monitor (the first on the photo)

I put all the electronics of the n°1 in the n° 3 casing -> fully working, except fdd save (I need to find why) + the n°2 monitor. 75% of the screws are present. It's the 2nd on the photo.
-> to sell

And there is the last one. Basically I put all the worst parts in it... Dispite the new belt, FDD doesn't work. It's with my custom sticker for FDD. Missing some key springs. I have all the key, I dismounted the 3 keyboard for cleaning, just need to find it somewhere between my bathroom and my desk :) A lot of screws is missing (I used them in the two others). And the space bar is broken. Don't know what I'll do with it. Someone should send me a complete keyboard but I have no news :/

00WReX

Sorry to hear you got scammed...that's not nice.  :(

To put a positive spin on it...I suppose if you average it out...~18.33€ each for a 6128 + Colour Monitor is not too bad  :)

Must admit, seeing 3x 6128's side by side is still a good sight.  :D
Maybe you could get your money back by taking classes on CPC dis-assembly & re-assembly now that you are an expert  ;) ...class size of 3 is a good start.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

steve

You should be able to get new screws in hardware shops.

Terje_Norway

Quote from: ced64k on 09:27, 12 March 12
First purchase
1) QWERTY "french alsacian" : I got scammed, I paid 45€ for this %^`3 (missing key springs, broken space bar, no fdd sticker, etc). The fdd works for reading, but not for writing, strange. All the screws was present. The monitor (spanish) is working well.

Hi,

Have you checked for the write pin on the disc drive ? ? ?

Years ago I changed belt on a disc drive, and when I was done I had one part left that had dropped out of the disc drive. I checked the drive, and never found out where it should have been. So I kept the pin. Some time later I ran into trouble with the same disc drive. I could read everything with the drive, but not write with it. Rechecking the drive revealed the place for the pin. This drive now works with both reading and writing discs.

I'm not 100 % sure which type of disc drive it was.
Most likely it could be a 'EME-156 V' drive ! ! !

Disc drives comes with the following numbers (As far as I know from my own collection! ! !)
EME-150 A Disc Drive Pt.no (12V) :  30001  - Made 84-85
EME-155    Disc Drive Pt.no (12V) :  30002  - Made 85
EME-156    Disc Drive Pt.no (12V) : Z70312 - Made 86-87
EME-156 V Disc Drive Pt.no (12V) : Z80264 - Made 90
EME-157    Disc Drive Pt.no (  5V) : Z80425 - Made 90 (CPC Plus drive)
EME-231    Disc Drive Pt.no (12V) : Z70298 - Made 86
EME-232    Disc Drive Pt.no (12V) : Z70313 - Made 86-87 (PCW B-drive, 720K ? ?)
EME-232 V Disc Drive Pt.no (12V) : Z80265 - Made 88-89 (PCW B-drive, 720K ? ?)

If there is any interest out there, I could do some more research into the subject. I have about 40 3inch disc drives available (inkl. spare and loose drives)

Yours

Terje Grind
NORWAY

PS I might have a spare CPC6128 UK keyboard, with springs laying around. It would be without the membrane ! ! !

Gryzor

Indeed, the sight of those three running side by side is lovely :)

And yes, it's the writing pin. Search around, there's another thread here on the issue; even if you don't have the pin you could fashion one...

ced64k

Thanks for the tip ! I'll try with the writing pin from another fdd.

Ahd yes I'm interested in your spare keyboard :)

ced64k

Terje can send me a 6128 Plus keyboard. Do you think the keys (especially the space bar), springs, etc, will fit on my 6128 "old" ?

Bryce

The ribbon cable is in a different position on the Plus (in the centre at the top) than on the Classic CPC (on the left). So you will need to make an adapter to extend the wires.

Bryce.

steve

It reads like you want to transfer the keytops to your old keyboard, if possible it would be better to swap the keyboard entirely.
And use your old keyboard as a donor for those who need spare keytops or a membrane.

Executioner

Quote from: ced64k on 14:33, 14 March 12
Terje can send me a 6128 Plus keyboard. Do you think the keys (especially the space bar), springs, etc, will fit on my 6128 "old" ?

Is that a QWERTY Plus keyboard? I'd love one of those to replace my AZERTY Plus which drives me mad.

ced64k

Yes but azerty is also inside the rom :)

Bryce

Yeah, but that's in the cartridge. Swapping the EPROM or even obtaining a real one isn't all that difficult.

Bryce.

Executioner

Quote from: ced64k on 21:38, 19 March 12
Yes but azerty is also inside the rom :)

Actually, the cartridge in the Plus, which I've already replaced with a bootleg ParaDOS cart which I paid for on eBay :)

ced64k

Hello, we are Amstrad but we are... different  ;D

Terje send me his 6128 Plus keyboard (he sent me for free from Norway, many thanks !) and as you see, nothing works on a 6128 old. So I'll repack it and send it to Tasmania :)

Only one spring in the keys :

Even the old membrane doesn't fit : the Plus has 2 more pins each side :

Oops broken part during shipping ⬆

Gryzor

Well, I guess it's understandable... good photos though!