News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

464+ Mod

Started by Bryce, 13:34, 08 June 12

Previous topic - Next topic

emilen72

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:37, 24 June 12

Obviously you've missed the Downloads section above ;)

Obviously of course...  ;D

Gryzor many thanks

Bryce

I'll be making a proper Wiki page detailing the entire conversion as soon as I have time.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Quote from: emilen72 on 23:13, 24 June 12

Obviously of course...  ;D

Gryzor many thanks

My pleasure :)

@Bryce: thanks, much appreciated. Not that you need it, but if I can be of any assistance...

Bryce

Hi All,
     I managed (without Gryzors assistance :) ) to create a Wiki page with some more details on how to convert the 464+ to a 6128+ (PCB and Electronics only for now). You can find it here: 464Plus Conversion - CPCWiki - The Ultimate Amstrad CPC Community &

Bryce.

Gryzor

An excellent article, realy enjoyed reading that. I was thinking of having "feature" articles in the front page, this is a great candidate...

MacDeath

Yeay Bryce...

Nice page...
Yet.

Perhaps you should have aimed at a more generic page like : "completing the PLUS Mainboard".
Such page would/should also tell how to turn the 6128 into a Tape able machine...

Also the 8bit printer port while at it ?

I know the CPCwiki aim at more pages, but having some of them mixed can be great. ;)

Badstarr

I have a fair few of the resistor networks, can't remember how much exactly but I know I have a sample tube at least half full. If anyone attempts this mod and would prefer not to make the resistor network themselves let me know (although, to be honest if you are competent enough to perform this mod then you probably don't mind making your own).
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

beaker

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:10, 15 July 12
An excellent article, realy enjoyed reading that. I was thinking of having "feature" articles in the front page, this is a great candidate...

Sound like a brilliant idea. Would be nice to also include the hybrid Badstarr is working on when it's finished; have you made any more progress on it after your cat tried destroying it?

Badstarr

I have made a little progress I'm saving the brunt of the work for when I'm on holiday, the expansion port (the connections to the ASIC) are all restored thankfully, however I occassionally find it jumps the f1 f2 menu which is down to I believe, an as yet undiscovered loose connection somewhere. I think it's most likely on the expansion bus as fiddling around with it makes the problem vanish. No biggie, as I'm using a slightly unique expansion port solution (not really very exciting and will no doubt be a little controversial lol!) which will mean reworking this part so no doubt I will correct the problem.

Other than that I managed to spend a little time on the MegaFlash just need to wait for one more IC and connect a few more bits and bobs. Then I will need to have a good think about how I will be designing the cartridge system, which will work like an overgrown ACID Inside/MultiCart, I would like to cram as much as possible into this machine!
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

Bryce

Quote from: MacDeath on 21:10, 15 July 12
Perhaps you should have aimed at a more generic page like : "completing the PLUS Mainboard".
Such page would/should also tell how to turn the 6128 into a Tape able machine...

Also the 8bit printer port while at it ?

I know the CPCwiki aim at more pages, but having some of them mixed can be great. ;)

I agree that we need articles about these additional mods, but putting them all on one page makes it rather confusing. People might get the impression that you need to do all of these changes or it will not work, or they just want to make one of the mods and would have to filter out what they need. When the other Guides exist, they could be grouped under one "CPC+ mods" heading or whatever, but I don't think putting everything on one page is good.

And I don't think page count is an indication of content quality, so I am not just saying that so that there are more pages.

Bryce.

Gryzor

I totally agree with Bryce, it's not logical to put everything in one page. If it was, then we should have maybe 3 or 4 pages on the wiki :D It's not a matter of having more pages either, 4000+ pages is already more than enough (the c64 wiki only has 800-odd articles and it's still very good!).

Now, who's for resurrecting the official FAQ? What? off-topic? Oh well...

Devilmarkus

*push

How's the project going?
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Bryce

Due to extreme lack of time, not much has happened. Hopefully I can get some time to work on the 512K RAM expansion this weekend. The HxC has also arrived, so I might install it too.

Bryce.

mr_lou

Quote from: Bryce on 14:04, 25 August 12Due to extreme lack of time, not much has happened. Hopefully I can get some time to work on the 512K RAM expansion this weekend. The HxC has also arrived, so I might install it too.
Luckily, there's no rush with this project.  :)

TotO

Quote from: Bryce on 14:04, 25 August 12Hopefully I can get some time to work on the 512K RAM expansion this weekend.
Great! :)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Bryce

I had time to build the S-Video output today, but no time to install it yet :( Tomorrow my plan is to build the USB mouse port, then install both at the same time and possibly even install the internal expansion port?

Bryce.

Bryce

Hi again,
       I didn't manage to get the USB Mouse done today, but I decided to work on the casing instead. These are the first cuts done to the case. As you can see, the 464 now has its very own floppy port (later with ABBA switch) and the socket on the left is the S-Video port. The lid of the tapedeck actually hits the floppy connector, so a small corner of the hinge (inside, nothing visible) needed to be removed.

Bryce.

Bryce

Here's what it looks like inside. The S-Video PCB fits nicely under the tapedeck, but the filter (that thing with the red coils of wire) is interfering with the write protection pin of the tape recorder, so I'll need to move it slightly.
The S-video PCB is mounted using two screws from below, so there's no visible screws and it's pretty robust.

Bryce.

mr_lou

Kris

very good integration !!

Gryzor

I want need one of these...

Bryce

Why would you want a half finished computer?

Anyway, next up is the USB port and internal MegaFlash. Coming hopefully at the weekend.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Because then I could/would ship it to you to finish it (including a dual 8MHz accelerator).

mr_lou

Question: Isn't that a magnet on the floppy-port with the red wire wrapped around it? Isn't that rather close to where the tape will be? Doesn't that partially erase what's on the tape?

Zetr0

Now this is a most awesome project!

thanks for sharing =D
If I had a hammer.....