News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

464+ Mod

Started by Bryce, 13:34, 08 June 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Quote from: mr_lou on 17:32, 13 September 12
Question: Isn't that a magnet on the floppy-port with the red wire wrapped around it? Isn't that rather close to where the tape will be? Doesn't that partially erase what's on the tape?

Don't worry, it's not a magnet, it's a ferrite core, ie: It's made from ferric metals, but it's not magnetised. It has no effect on tapes.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Quote from: mr_lou on 17:32, 13 September 12
Question: Isn't that a magnet on the floppy-port with the red wire wrapped around it? Isn't that rather close to where the tape will be? Doesn't that partially erase what's on the tape?

Nah, Bryce has done cloud integration.

Bryce

Yeaaaa, long weekend and no-one home... Time to get things done on the 464+ Mod.

This time it was time to install the HxC. I'd been leaving this for a quiet moment without interruptions because cutting holes in original hardware is a thing you don't get to try twice. Either it's right the first time, or it's messed up. MrLou wanted the HxC to be as discrete as possible. The only place the PCB would fit with external access to the SD Card is if it faces out the back. This unfortunately means that the HxC Board needs to magically float above the centre of the CPCs PCB at exactly the right spot. To do this, some serious mechanical modding was required. By a huge stroke of luck, the mounting holes on the HxC for the LCD are exactly the same distance apart as the 50way Centronics screws. So first I replaced those screws with longer ones for my brackets. Then I made the brackets. These are made from brass U-shaped rods, very useful for modding as they are relatively soft (easy to drill and shape) yet rigid enough to support the PCB. The HxCs height was later adjusted by adding spacers underneath (which were required anyway to ensure the bracket doesn't short anything on the HxC).

The slit at the back is the difficult part. You only get one chance to get it right. Luckily I got it right :) When the SD Card is inserted it now peeks a mere 2mm out the back, enough to insert and remove, but discrete enough to not be obvious. The HxC will be controlled from a ROM on the MegaFlash, so no LCD will be installed, the LEDs will be mounted on the top of the case and some very small buttons on the side will be also available if/when required.

Now it's time to install the internal MegaFlash, more pictures later....

Edit: Just added another picture, where you can see it with the power and data cables attached (and SD Card inserted). The data cable is custom made to fit exactly under the HxC with a fold to keep things neat. The power cable is also routed under the HxC.

Bryce.

P.s. @MrLou: I didn't have to remove the mounting screw for the PCB as I thought earlier, so the PCB and CPC case still has all it's original mounting screws :)

mr_lou

Awesome amazing work!!! It looks perfect!  :) :) :)

Bryce

Moving swiftly along... I've now created the internal Expansion Bus. This isn't technically difficult, but it's a serious pain in the arse and takes ages, because you have to separate, strip and solder each of the 50 wire individually.

To make sure that no short-circuits can occur I also prepared the PCB by cutting off any protruding pins on the bottom of the board, that might poke through the cables insulation. Then I bent the 50 pins at an angle to make soldering easier. After that it's just the slow and painful job of stripping and soldering each wire in place. The flat cable also needs to be split in the centre to allow the PCB mounting screw to pass through. A little origami is also required under the board to get the cable to come out at the correct point, but there's enough space underneath to comfortably fit the folded cable. Then I crimped a 50 way connector on and gave it a test with one of my own MegaFlashes.

I've built a custom MegaFlash for this project, with a header for all the switches and LED, so that they can be mounted on the case, but this one obviously won't work yet when no jumpers are in place. The extra flat cable will remain as it is to allow further internal expansions to be added later. The MegaFlash easily fits under the left side of the keyboard and there's still lots of space free.

Enjoy the pictures.

Bryce.

mr_lou

:blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank:  It just looks
:blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: awesome!  :)
:blank: :blank: 8) 8) 8) :blank: :blank: 8) 8) 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) 8) :blank: :blank: 8) 8) 8) 8) :blank: :blank: I'm beginning to
:blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: look very much
:blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank:  forward to Christmas.
:blank: :blank: 8) 8) 8) :blank: :blank: 8) 8) 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) 8) 8) :blank: :blank: :blank:  I have a feeling
:blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: 8) :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank:  this will be one
:blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank:  to remember.  :D
:blank: :blank: 8) 8) 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) 8) :blank: :blank: 8) 8) 8) 8) :blank: :blank:
:blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: 
:blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank:
:blank: 8) 8) 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) 8) 8) 8) :blank: :blank: 8) 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank:
:blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank:
:blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank:
:blank: 8) 8) 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) 8) 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank:
:blank: 8) :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank:
:blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank:
:blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) :blank: :blank: 8) 8) :blank: :blank: 8) 8) 8) 8) :blank: 8) 8) 8) 8) :blank: :blank: 8) 8) :blank: :blank: :blank: 8) :blank:

Gryzor

Serious wow.

Can I have mine with an afterburner, please?

Else, can you put all this in a wiki article when it's over, for us paupers?

T

PS The distance between the screws coincidence reminded me of the distance of car wheels compared to ancient carriages :D

Bryce

As I was on a roll and enjoying the mod, I did another bit today. This time it's the USB AMX Mouse interface. The PCB is built, but it needed a USB port on the case. It's a very tight fit at this stage behind the tape deck. I had to snip quite a bit off the USB connector to get it to fit without disturbing the tape lid or tape mechanisms. So now the back of the CPC looks like this:

[attach=2]

All 3 of the ports you can see here are new (ie: added for this mod). From left to right you can see the USB mouse Port, S-Video Port and External Floppy Port, none of which were on the original 464+ :)

That's it for today, off for a well earned pint now :)

Bryce.

P.s. The Floppy port looks a little off line in the picture because the PCB isn't screwed in place, I just put it together temporarily for the picture.

Gryzor

Imagine the bidding war if this ever reaches eBay...

mr_lou

Quote from: Gryzor on 20:13, 03 November 12
Imagine the bidding war if this ever reaches eBay...

It will never reach eBay.  ;)
Well... maybe some day in 50 years when I've passed away and my daughter don't know what to do with it.

Gryzor

Yeah, I know you wouldn't, not implying anything :) But, mortal coil and all... :D

Bryce

If I ever need to make my hobby into my job, then I'll buy up a few CPCs, mod them to the limit and put them on ebay. But the time and expense needed to do something like this, means that I probably won't get very rich from it :(

Bryce.

Bryce

As MrLous top priority is to keep things discrete. I've had a change of plan regarding the switches. I will try to mount the  less frequently used switches underneath the CPC. As you can see from the picture below, there is a triangular  indentation approximately 12mm deep on either side of the case (where the fake cooling slots are). I need to measure how much space is available inside when the keyboard is in place, but it's looking promising so far.

Bryce.

Bryce

Ok, so things went to plan. The switches for the MegaFlash are hidden under the CPCs Keyboard :)

As you can see from the pictures, it was a tight fit inside, I only have about 1mm clearance and that's after I trimmed the switch terminals. For the slider switch I just expanded one of the fake cooling slits to allow the slider through.

[attach=2]

The slider switch is the Read/Write switch for the MegaFlash. I chose the slider because it's not a switch you would want to accidentally switch to the wrong position. The two toggle switches are to enable/disable ROMs 0 and 7 on the MegaFlash.

[attach=3]

Under the CPC there is about 1mm clearance from the desk to the toggle switches. But you can actually switch them without lifting the CPC if your fingers aren't too fat. :D

[attach=4]

The on/off switch for the AMX Mouse will also be a toggle switch, but I'll put it on the other side. Then I just need to mount the LEDs and wire it all up. The mod is almost finished, I can see a tunnel at the end of the light :D

Bryce.

mr_lou

Gryzor

Such a heavily modded machine should have all the switches, knobs, dials and screens where you can see them. And maybe add a boiler so it can release some steam when you perform an operation ;)

Bryce

That's how I like it too, but MrLou is the customer and he prefers understatement. It will still be an unbelievably cool machine.

Bryce.

MacDeath

ila_rendered
How cute.

ila_rendered
How even cuter.

Loads of great ideas I guess.

What about a plug for modern audio jack for the tapes ?
and/or in-built iPod base... :D

Bryce

At the weekend I'm hoping to get the last few tasks finished. Here's the list of what's left:

Test the MegaFlash.
Mount and connect the AMX Mouse PCB (under the centre of the keyboard)
Mount and wire the HxC buttons.
Mount and wire the LEDs (5x)

The mods require 5 LEDs in total: 3x for the HxC, 1x for the AMX Mouse, 1x for the MegaFlash. To keep things dicrete, it has been decided to put all these buttons / LEDs on the side surface, where the Floppy would be on a 6128+. So the final result should look somethiong like this:

[attach=2]

Excuse the crap mock-up.

From the front of the CPC, it should be barely noticable that the machine is anything but the original. Except for the SD card at the back, there'll be no noticable changes.

Bryce.

Gryzor

But you drew 7 LEDs?

Anyhow, I know he wants it discreet and all, but what's the point of a LED if you can't see it from a normal operating position?

mr_lou

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:59, 09 November 12Anyhow, I know he wants it discreet and all, but what's the point of a LED if you can't see it from a normal operating position?

Placing them on the side means they're not annoying my eyes. And if I need to check what's going on, I can just skew to the right. Perfect solution for me.

The LED in the two HxC's I have at the moment, are very annoying.

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:59, 09 November 12
But you drew 7 LEDs?

Not unless someone invented black LEDs while I wasn't paying attention? :D The top 5 are the LEDs, the bottom 2 are the HxC buttons.

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 14:28, 09 November 12
Not unless someone invented black LEDs while I wasn't paying attention? :D The top 5 are the LEDs, the bottom 2 are the HxC buttons.

Bryce.
I've got this design for a black led.... ahem.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

Cool, just imagine what could be made with this, especially if we put it together with my "Bi-directional diode" (Patent Pending) :D

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 15:05, 09 November 12
Cool, just imagine what could be made with this, especially if we put it together with my "Bi-directional diode" (Patent Pending) :D

Bryce.
"you wanted the current in one direction, but we went one better".

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource