News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

COMMODORE 65 COMPUTER PROTOTYPE

Started by 00WReX, 23:35, 07 February 13

Previous topic - Next topic

00WReX

Someone on ebay US has a rare prototype Commodore for sale...still 3 days to go...

Commodore 65 Computer Prototype Holy Grail Ultra RARE not Commodore 64 No Res |

[attachimg=1]

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

db6128

Previously:
WHOA.

Could that one really have been "working"? That would explain the cost somewhat, but I find it hard to believe: I know effectively nothing about Commodore, but the current auction mentions that this is missing some chips and generally makes it sound as though the 65 never got to a sufficient stage to actually do anything.
Quote from: Devilmarkus on 13:04, 27 February 12
Quote from: ukmarkh on 11:38, 27 February 12[The owner of one of the few existing cartridges of Chase HQ 2] mentioned to me that unless someone could find a way to guarantee the code wouldn't be duplicated to anyone else, he wouldn't be interested.
Did he also say things like "My treasureeeeee" and is he a little grey guy?

Bryce

It's missing two of the main ASICs, so I don't think it's worth as much as the current bids, cause it definitely wont be working. There are fully populated working ones floating about. I think there are several hundred if not more out there.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Almost $5k?? I think not many people know there are many more out there. Though, to be honest, they seldom appear.

db6128

Quote from: Bryce on 10:31, 08 February 13It's missing two of the main ASICs, so I don't think it's worth as much as the current bids, cause it definitely wont be working. There are fully populated working ones floating about. I think there are several hundred if not more out there.
Thanks for the info. So, can the working ones actually do anything? As in, was the intended backwards compatibility implemented, and was there any 65-only software?

I'm only interested in this because it's a proto and I've never heard anything about it, not out of general interest in the C64 – honestly, Amstrad fans O:-)
Quote from: Devilmarkus on 13:04, 27 February 12
Quote from: ukmarkh on 11:38, 27 February 12[The owner of one of the few existing cartridges of Chase HQ 2] mentioned to me that unless someone could find a way to guarantee the code wouldn't be duplicated to anyone else, he wouldn't be interested.
Did he also say things like "My treasureeeeee" and is he a little grey guy?

arnoldemu

Commodore 65 (C65 aka C64DX) In Action

backwards compatibility is not 100%, very few c65 demos.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:41, 08 February 13
Almost $5k?? I think not many people know there are many more out there. Though, to be honest, they seldom appear.
Well 5K for 'some missing chips'. Guess the bidders must be real enthusiasts. I mean how can you get some custorm chips which you don't know or which maybe never have been made.
On the other hand ... if it would be the ANT2 ... ;-)

Quote from: arnoldemu on 19:12, 08 February 13
...backwards compatibility is not 100%, very few c65 demos.
Ok, so what do people do in essence with the c65? They switch it to c64 mode  :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

By chance, it was not released... Look so... hum...  :-X
But me can see the Amiga case design.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

Well, right. But this asic-type chip is missing. So want can you do with it? Put it to your collection and dust it off once a while. That's not sooo much. It it would work, ok then ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

00WReX

Here's another one for the German people...

Sehr seltener Prototyp Commodore C65 aka C64DX aka C90 | eBay

The computer is working and in a good shape but since it is a prototype not all functions are implemented

I wont ship this computer outside Germany! If you bid on this computer you have to pick it up in south Germany (Baden Württemberg / Oberschwaben).

Interesting to see what this goes for.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Gryzor

Of course this "no shipping outside Germany" will hurt the end price quite a bit, but I have an idea that the previous guy who spent $5k will be banging his head against a wall...

ralferoo

I'm not so sure it'd be a problem. If you're spending over €5000 on some 30-year old hardware, it's probably not too big a deal to spend another €300 on a flight to go there in person to collect. And you'd have the extra confidence of being able to check it yourself to ensure it is fully as described before handing over the money.

I assume that awful screenshot is just because it's NTSC only and he's plugged it into a PAL-only TV. ;

Gryzor

Seriously. €5700 with 8 days to go. Wtf...

Bryce

I'll wait till the last day to make my bid..... NOT! :D

At least the PCB is fully populated this time.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Yes, so we may be talking tens of thousands of €€€ here! :D

00WReX

Ooh, it over €10,500 now...and still a day & a half to go.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

00WReX

The auction has finished...Wow, that's some serious cash...

€17,827.00

Yes, nearly 18 Thousand Euro...wonder how much the person selling it paid, possibly the best investment he/she ever made  :)

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Bryce

Damn, I stopped at €17,826 :(

Bryce.

00WReX

If you can hold of for a couple of weeks I'm expecting a batch of genuine Chinese C65's.

All yours for only €1000.

Any markings on the machine may not be 100% accurate...but no one will notice.

Cheers,
Shane

[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3]
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Bryce

Oh Adidos sounds promising, is it as good as ParaDOS? Can it do 720K?

Bryce.

EgoTrip

I remember buying some "genuine" GBA games a long time ago from ebay, and  it turned out they were made by "Nintondo". They kept crashing and the seller was very mean when I complained.