News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Forum now responsive!

Started by Gryzor, 18:13, 22 April 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Up to now the CPCWiki has had a responsive page (meaning, it can render in a meaningful and useful way on mobile devices) through various means. Now that Google has decided to rank sites that have a responsive design higher I decided to tackle the forum too.

So, beginning today you can browse the forum too in a convenient way from your mobile device without having to use Tapatalk (even though, of course, Tapatalk has different functionality).

Currently there are two problems: the memberlist doesn't render correctly because I have to work around some code; but I thought, heck, who would want to check the membership list on their phone? So that's a low priority - it will continue rendering as the desktop version for the time being.

The other is the "Recent Forum Topics" above the boards on the forum's homepage. Now this is something entirely different and perhaps not easy to fix, so I was wondering, do people think it's useful?

Thanks for any comments!

Munchausen

Aha, so that's why browsing the forum was a pain on my phone earlier! :)

I always use the recent forum topics, as it saves me having to go through each sub forum looking for updates. When I was looking on my phone a couple of hours ago it wasn't working properly and I kept refreshing the page (thinking the browser had mucked up).

So I for one vote that this gets fixed!

But kudos for making the effort to make the site in general more usable on mobiles

Gryzor

Thanks for the feedback mate, it's much appreciated; I'm trying to make the site as usable and convenient for us as possible, so everything has to have the audience in mind - whose minds, though, I usually can't read :D

People tend to peruse the forum and its functions in different ways. In your case, why do you prefer the Recents section instead of going to the Unread page? Just trying to understand how and why people use it...

Thanks again :)

CraigsBar

I too mainly use the recent forum topics.... Unless I am looking in the off topic posts.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

andycadley

Yeah I use the Recent bit pretty much all the time, it's easier to see threads that are new and likely to be of interest without having to look elsewhere. Looking at the Unread page on my phone (which I have to admit I had no idea even existed) it seems to suffer the same problem as the Recent section, everything is squashed up on the left hand side. IE 11 Mobile, Windows Phone 8.1

Munchausen

Hmmm... well I never, unread posts, was that always there?

TBH, I'm lazy... I read cpcwiki more frequently than any other forum, so I check it a few times every day and I just want the quickest way to see what's new. I didn't notice the recent posts box for a long time (or maybe it wasn't around back then?) and what I used to do was go into each of my favourite sub forums and see what everyone had been yapping about, occasionally checking my less regularly visited sub forums to take a peek at what's going on there (what is this "other" retro? Deutches CPC-Forum... oh dear actually google translate= not that great). With the recent posts box I can see which topics have been posted to and have a look if I'm interested, and it's right there at the top of the front page. They have a "new" icon next to them if they have stuff since I last arrived. As far as I can tell the unread posts page is basically doing the same thing in a slightly different way?

I guess I'm not all that observant, it took me long enough to notice the recent posts box. Now you've got me wondering what else I've missed...

Munchausen

Quote from: andycadley on 19:10, 22 April 15
Yeah I use the Recent bit pretty much all the time, it's easier to see threads that are new and likely to be of interest without having to look elsewhere. Looking at the Unread page on my phone (which I have to admit I had no idea even existed) it seems to suffer the same problem as the Recent section, everything is squashed up on the left hand side. IE 11 Mobile, Windows Phone 8.1

That's what it looks like on my android phone as well, all squished to the left.

steve

I do not find the recent posts section useful because it only lists the 10 most recent posts, whereas the unread posts can occupy many pages.

seanb

I use the recent post daily.
I like the quick access to the latest post across all forums.

I mostly use my phone to check the site so going through each separate sub forum everyday is a tedious affair on my mobile.

Using lollypop everything in the recent post is squashed to the left and every single post has a huge gap between the posters name and the icons below it to the like and quote button.

Thought it was my phone at first as I dont like lollypop (don't like them in real life as well)

The text box is smaller so everything seems condensed. Liked how the old way liked life a proper forum.
This of course could be something I haven't yet got used to.

Crap that was all negative. Better say something positive.
Still love cpcwiki.
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

Munchausen

Quote from: steve on 20:08, 22 April 15
I do not find the recent posts section useful because it only lists the 10 most recent posts, whereas the unread posts can occupy many pages.

It also has multiple pages though

Bryce

There's a slight glitch now when browsing on a PC. The Login Button (when highlighted) is now the entire remaining width of the page.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Wow you're observant! Yes, I knew about that too but forgot to mention it, trying to figure out the css that does this...

Gryzor

Recent Topics in home page now works. Not perfectly from an aesthetics point of view, but it works :)

Gryzor

Login button on desktop version fixed too :)

Gryzor

Slight glitch with Recents fixed, too, now it looks perfect :)

TFM

Well done!

EDIT: Now even better, everything works with WinXP and 7 (no idea about cell phones though),

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Thanks mate, please keep reporting problems!

Ps yeah, not lost, just cleaned the thread because I wanted to keep it technical :)

seanb

Absolutely nothing has changed on my phone.
It's a bit of an eye sore and can mistake when a post starts or who made it

Sorry to be blunt.

Gryzor

Eh... Can you post a screenshot?

seanb

Let me figure out how  :D
volume down and home button I think

Gryzor

Something like that :D I'm on rooted devices with custom power menus so I don't remember the official way...

seanb

It was home and power.
No wonder it wouldn't work
Here you go.
The recent post on the main page is fine now

Gryzor

Ah, I see what you mean, it was a bit ambiguous. This is due to the customised profile section (the one with the upturned corner). I like it but I was thinking of removing it...

[edit] Home and Power? Never heard of that combo :D

seanb

Much better, well for me at least.
The forum looks tidier and is easier to follow.

Gryzor

Is it? I didn't have the time to make the changes :D