News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

8-bit battles double dragon 2

Started by NewsBot, 15:10, 21 March 13

Previous topic - Next topic

NewsBot

8-bit battles double dragon 2
3 October 2012, 11:00 pm

[

8-bit battles compares the game double dragon 2 with versions from the amstrad,c64,msx,nes and spectrum. ...YOU DECIDE WHAT VERSION IS THE BEST... Amstrad 0:...[/t][/t]
Time: 09:37More in Gaming

Source: Uploads by thesman32
This content has been fetched from a third-party page feed.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

NES and Amstrad versions are far ahead of the others, the Amstrad version has larger characters and a lovely helicopter though, but some jerky motion - looks harder to control.

MacDeath

Why europeans never realised the MSX had Hardware sprites? seriously?

sigh

Looks like the MSX version has the spectrum graphics and cpc music.

Looking on the wiki, it seems to have hardware scrolling in both vertical and horizontal on the MSx 2 + (1988). This game should have been far better than all the other 8 bit versions.

RichAplin

Quote from: MacDeath on 12:32, 30 March 13
Why europeans never realised the MSX had Hardware sprites? seriously?

MSX sprites were pretty bad - monochrome, with a very limited # of sprites on the same horizontal lines.

The MSX architecture was quite C64-like (i.e. you were very dependent on the video hardware, rather than being bitmapped) ..well, c64-like-but-worse. 
[size=78%]I wrote a game for the Memotech MTX (there's an obscure computer) a machine with basically the same hw as MSX.[/size]

BTW In terms of Double Dragon 2 - they were all quite boring. I never thought much of the arcade games, but they had somewhat better AI than most of the home computer versions.  I ended up working on several DD's - I think I finished off the ST/Amiga version (not very good, I inherited a pretty screwed up project), then I did most of DD2 on ST/Amiga myself (a bit better I thought), and DD1/DD2 on CPC. 

That CPC Double Dragon code got reused by other people for a couple more projects (I _think_ it got used for CPC ESWAT and Final Fight)

TotO

I love the Double Dragon 2 intro music on Amiga...  :-*
But, I have mainly played this game on the arcade machine, because I had the luke that the "saloon" close to my house get it.
I though that you done a good job on the different micro-computer versions, 25 years ago.
It's not easy to make a perfect port of it, as the arcade version already has much slow-down.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

McKlain

Quote from: TotO on 08:12, 16 April 13It's not easy to make a perfect port of it, as the arcade version already has much slow-down.

Double Dragon 1 also had a lot of slow downs on the arcades. I wonder if they used similar hardware for the second one.

TotO

Quote from: McKlain on 09:59, 16 April 13

Double Dragon 1 also had a lot of slow downs on the arcades. I wonder if they used similar hardware for the second one.
Sorry, my post was not clear.
I love the DD2 music on Amiga, but I had played DD1 in arcade.
No information on system16.com, but it's probably the same Taito hardware.

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

mahlemiut

DD1 and 2 have similar hardware, but do differ slightly in sound hardware.

Double Dragon: 12MHz HD6309 (main CPU), 6MHz HD63701 (sub MCU), 1.5MHz 6809 (sound CPU), YM2151 (FM), 2x MSM5205 (ADPCM)
Double Dragon II: 12MHz HD6309 (main CPU), 4MHz Z80 (sub CPU), 3.57MHz Z80 (sound CPU), YM2151 (FM), MSM6295 (ADPCM)

And Double Dragon was created by Technos, not Taito.  Taito licensed it for international sales.
- Barry Rodewald

TotO

Quote from: mahlemiut on 22:56, 16 April 13Double Dragon: 12MHz HD6309 (main CPU), 6MHz HD63701 (sub MCU), 1.5MHz 6809 (sound CPU), YM2151 (FM), 2x MSM5205 (ADPCM)
No... That was what "wikipedia" said, but not what is on the arcade PCB.
The real specs about Double Dragon are on system16.com :
CPU : M6309 @ 3.58MHz, HD63701 @ 2MHz
Sound CPU : M6309 @ 3.58 MHz
Sound Chip : YM2151, MSM5205

As I know, the 6309 series can't run at 12MHz... The maximum clock supported is 5MHz.
The 3.58MHz clock was chosen to match with the NTSC colorburst.

Quote from: mahlemiut on 22:56, 16 April 13Double Dragon was created by Technos, not Taito.  Taito licensed it for international sales.
I never said that was a Taito game... But that It run on a Taito hardware.
I got 2 arcade PCB of this game. (Licenced by Taito, of course)

mahlemiut

Quote from: TotO on 08:21, 17 April 13
No... That was what "wikipedia" said, but not what is on the arcade PCB.
The real specs about Double Dragon are on system16.com :
CPU : M6309 @ 3.58MHz, HD63701 @ 2MHz
Sound CPU : M6309 @ 3.58 MHz
Sound Chip : YM2151, MSM5205

As I know, the 6309 series can't run at 12MHz... The maximum clock supported is 5MHz.
The 3.58MHz clock was chosen to match with the NTSC colorburst.
I never said that was a Taito game... But that It run on a Taito hardware.
I got 2 arcade PCB of this game. (Licenced by Taito, of course)

Actually, that's what MAME says.  Many 6309/6809 variants have internal clock dividers, 12MHz is what the CPU is given.
- Barry Rodewald

TotO

On my Double dragon PCB, I get a 3.579545MHz and a 12MHz oscillator.
Looking the MAME source code about the M6309, said :

case CPUINFO_INT_CLOCK_MULTIPLIER : info->i = 1; break;
case CPUINFO_INT_CLOCK_DIVIDER : info->i = 4; break;

That mean, to run at 3.58MHz the CPU need a 14.31818MHz master clock.
With a 12MHz clock, it only run internally at 3.00MHz.

May be why we get some slowdown... I need to test the board with this instead.  ;D

Bryce

3.579545MHz is the carrier clock frequency for NTSC video. If the PCB uses divide by 4 circuitry it would use a 14.31818MHz crystal for the video instead. So if your board has a seperate 12MHz clock, then the video and CPU frequencies aren't coupled. The CPU could be running at anything up to 12MHz, you'd have to measure it to be sure.

Bryce.

TotO

Quote from: Bryce on 09:42, 17 April 13
3.579545MHz is the carrier clock frequency for NTSC video. If the PCB uses divide by 4 circuitry it would use a 14.31818MHz crystal for the video instead. So if your board has a seperate 12MHz clock, then the video and CPU frequencies aren't coupled. The CPU could be running at anything up to 12MHz, you'd have to measure it to be sure.

Bryce.
Yes, it's what I will check first.