News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Attack Of The Mutant Camels CPC

Started by chinnyhill10, 11:05, 01 August 15

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

So I was reviewing Attack Of The Mutant Camels on the Atari and C64:

Never came out on the CPC for obvious reasons. But has anyone considered doing a port to the Plus machines of the Atari versions? The Plus has the sprites, the colours and the hardware scrolling. Seems like an ideal and obvious candidate for an all time great game to make it to the CPC.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

McKlain

I think that this can be done on a regular CPC also. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Joseman

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 11:05, 01 August 15

Never came out on the CPC for obvious reasons.

What obvious reasons? is this some kind of trolling on a CPC forum?

This game it just has awful colors (as always on c64), silly sound as allways on a dull sid (sigh is better name)...

what's the problem to understand that de CPC can do anything that a C64-toaster can do? the hardware sprites on the C64 are limited-shit-type-of-joke. the data bus, the floppy... is a bad joke... stop putting the c64 over the CPC please

Sorry if i sound rude, but i'm starting to get tired of this C64-shit-toaster thing...

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Joseman on 12:05, 01 August 15
What obvious reasons? is this some kind of trolling on a CPC forum?

This game it just has awful colors (as always on c64), silly sound as allways on a dull sid (sigh is better name)...

Sigh! Who knew CPC owners could be as bigoted as some C64 owners eh? As many will know, I am the person least likely to "troll' this community having been a CPC owner since 1985 and being a part of the online CPC community dating back 20 years.

If you watched the video you will see I mainly talk about the Atari version which has superb hardware scrolling and loads of colours. Not the C64 version which is rather brown and not very good.

A standard CPC could't do the game justice in the same way the C64 couldn't. What I was asking is could the PLUS match the colour speed and excitement of the ATARI version.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

chinnyhill10

Quote from: McKlain on 11:20, 01 August 15
I think that this can be done on a regular CPC also. Nothing out of the ordinary.

50 fps at that speed with sprites that size with all those colours? Again I'm talking about the Atari version not the slightly rubbish C64 version.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Joseman

sorry @chinnyhill10

As soon as i heard C64, my blood boil  :laugh:

But i really think that any game of that era (arcade game) can be made reasonably well on cpc, 128k's, double buffer and hardware technics can do a good conversion of the 99% arcade games of that era. It's my opinion...

Puresox

Don't really care for Attack of the Mutant Camels. Nothing special sort of a game . On the other hand if you want to go to the trouble of putting a great Llamasoft game onto the Amstrad , then I see Revenge of the Mutant camels 2/ Return of the Mutant Camels is well worthy of the effort. One of the best from Jeff Minter in my eyes. Straight forward in some respects but very involved in others. True classic

Token

The Atari version is nice, the rasters make the screen busy and makes a cool floor.
I didn't knew this game before the internet, for 1983 it's arcade visual.
Now I doubt there's an early 80" (80-86)  8 bit computer game that can't be redo better on CPC with 30 years of knowledges (to just talk about CPC)
(for exemple C64 Ghost'n'goblins now compare with the arcade)

McKlain

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 12:33, 01 August 15

50 fps at that speed with sprites that size with all those colours? Again I'm talking about the Atari version not the slightly rubbish C64 version.

Again, besides the colour palette, wich (I think) can't be replicated by any other 8-bit computer of it's time, the rest is anything groundbreaking. You can do hardware scroll on the standard cpc, you can put rasters on the background and move a lot of software sprites.

Relentless
! No longer available

Super Edge Grinder:
! No longer available

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Puresox on 18:26, 01 August 15
Don't really care for Attack of the Mutant Camels. Nothing special sort of a game . On the other hand if you want to go to the trouble of putting a great Llamasoft game onto the Amstrad , then I see Revenge of the Mutant camels 2/ Return of the Mutant Camels is well worthy of the effort. One of the best from Jeff Minter in my eyes. Straight forward in some respects but very involved in others. True classic

Take away the visuals on the Atari and it isn't much. But that's kind of the point. It's a the kind of game that would do well in an arcade. It's not a game you sit down and play for any length of time.

It's also an important part of the Minter story because it's one of the first game where he uses colours and flashy visuals that would later become his trademark.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

chinnyhill10

Quote from: McKlain on 21:14, 01 August 15

Again, besides the colour palette, wich (I think) can't be replicated by any other 8-bit computer of it's time, the rest is anything groundbreaking. You can do hardware scroll on the standard cpc, you can put rasters on the background and move a lot of software sprites.

Are they actually running at 50fps though? And neither show anywhere near the turn of speed Camels does on the Atari with that pixel perfect scrolling and the sudden changes of direction.

I've never seen any game on the CPC that has that turn of speed at 50fps on the CPC. 25fps yes, and with small sprites and not as fast. Star Sabre is lovely but IIRC its 25fps and the window is small.

--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

TFM

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 11:05, 01 August 15
Never came out on the CPC for obvious reasons. But has anyone considered doing a port to the Plus machines of the Atari versions? The Plus has the sprites, the colours and the hardware scrolling. Seems like an ideal and obvious candidate for an all time great game to make it to the CPC.

I thought about making a version for the CPC (old generation) a while ago. I asked two guys for making me GFX, but somehow they either refused or didn't answer. Reason: I want to have Kangaroos instead of Camels. Obvioius reason is the usage of MODE 0, so sprites with small angels are more pretty of course. The Atari version can be done on CPC without a problem, but I still need GFX for it.

The other reason for not following up this was that I got disappointed in somebody. So I put the project on hold.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Token

There are some 50 Hz games on the CPC.

I'm thinking to Sub hunter, Fres attack...

It's the kind of games with simple algorithm that allow 50 frames. (fly bird?!)
The scrolling doesn't deal with a map, it's 2+3 pyramids and big gaps between. So on the C64 you could just use the sprites (and only, even if you should use the hw chars) to make the scroll, so no slave work  :D and probably even the whole game anyway. It can pixelate that camel with sprite setting as well. Mainly add some animated rasters for the floor. (trivial)

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Token on 23:44, 01 August 15
There are some 50 Hz games on the CPC.

I'm thinking to Sub hunter, Fres attack...

It's the kind of games with simple algorithm that allow 50 frames. (fly bird?!)
The scrolling doesn't deal with a map, it's 2+3 pyramids and big gaps between. So on the C64 you could just use the sprites (and only, even if you should use the hw chars) to make the scroll, so no slave work  :D and probably even the whole game anyway. It can pixelate that camel with sprite setting as well. Mainly add some animated rasters for the floor. (trivial)

Sub Hunter isn't 50fps. Can't speak for Fres Attack.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Token

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 00:01, 02 August 15

Sub Hunter isn't 50fps. Can't speak for Fres Attack.

Yep indeed. Smooth parallax but a bit slow. Neat visual. I just tried Fres attack on the real thing, smooth and fast 50 Hz game in mode 2.

TFM

50 Hz is no problem using hardware scrolling. The CPC got all it need.
TFM of FutureSoft

McKlain

Just watch Batman Forever demo and then tell me that the mutant camels game can't be done on a CPC.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: McKlain on 08:34, 02 August 15
Just watch Batman Forever demo and then tell me that the mutant camels game can't be done on a CPC.

Demos are always far more advanced than any games on all systems because you don't have to worry about things like game code etc. All the CPU time and all the memory can be thrown at an effect.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

TFM

Can't compare a demo and a game. While a game is fully fledged and has to do with a lot of cumulative events, a demo 'just' DEMOnstrates one very special situation. Demos are easy to do, a game is a class higher. Nothing against demos, they are art and wonderful, but it is just different.
I wished there would be more coders actually turning their 'demo' in a fully developed program (game).

TFM of FutureSoft

McKlain

Yep, maybe some cpc demo coder will start doing games any of these days. Who knows..  ::)

tastefulmrship

Quote from: McKlain on 22:19, 02 August 15
Yep, maybe some cpc demo coder will start doing games any of these days. Who knows..  ::)
Well, it's not as if they're releasing any demos, so... ^_^ (smiley)  ;D

ivarf

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 12:33, 01 August 15

Have you seen the old game TLL (Tornado Low Level). When you fly full speed diagonal it certainly feels fast and smooth. It uses fullscreen hardwarescrolling