News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision: Airwolf

Started by chinnyhill10, 13:31, 23 January 15

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

How many of you looked at the screenshots, thought "that looks good" and then took it back to the shop saying it didn't work because it was so bad. Thankfully it's not just the CPC version that is terrible.

I had the re-release on my CPC but now cannot remember if they removed the references to Amsoft from it... Well I guess I didn't have it long enough. It went straight back. Think I swapped it for 180!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrEFw3GVPE0
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Bryce

I was given it as a Christmas present so I couldn't swap it :(

Bryce.

CraigsBar

I was given a copy of it on a c90 tape. So very glad I did not buy it. I think I reused the tape to record the BBC radio one chart show the following Sunday afternoon.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Bryce

I still have my original, I'll send it over :D

Bryce.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Bryce on 15:16, 23 January 15

Bryce.

Are there any scans of the old Amsoft catalogues online? I had one and ticked all the games I had and also marked the games I wanted. Airwolf was near the front.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

CraigsBar

Quote from: Bryce on 15:16, 23 January 15

Bryce.
only if you can record breaking baud over the top :)

paradroid90

Borrowed this game on the Speccy from a friend :-( . Could never get past the first screen - Too frustrating for words :-)
Embrace all 8 Bits :-)

chinnyhill10

Quote from: paradroid90 on 18:14, 23 January 15
Borrowed this game on the Speccy from a friend :-( . Could never get past the first screen - Too frustrating for words :-)

Ironically the Speccy version is slightly better but is actually a totally different game from the one on the CPC.

The C64 and BBC get one game, the CPC another and the Speccy a third separate game.

The Atari 8 bit also gets a different game and, yes you've guessed it, The Commodore 16 gets a different game again. The only two versions that are the same are the C64 and BBC versions!

--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

CraigsBar

Are any of them any good? Even including the c16 or xl/xe?

chinnyhill10

Quote from: CraigsBar on 19:52, 23 January 15
Are any of them any good? Even including the c16 or xl/xe?

I didn't review the XL/XE or C16 versions. The XL/XE version looks like it is a reskinned version of Blue Thunder which in itself is a terrible clone of the fantastic Fort Apocalypse.

The C16 version I haven't played but its basically a similar concept to the CPC/C64 and BBC versions but with a different screen layout.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

CraigsBar

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 20:14, 23 January 15

I didn't review the XL/XE or C16 versions. The XL/XE version looks like it is a reskinned version of Blue Thunder which in itself is a terrible clone of the fantastic Fort Apocalypse.

The C16 version I haven't played but its basically a similar concept to the CPC/C64 and BBC versions but with a different screen layout.
So the short Answer... NO!

What a waste of what could have been a brilliant games licence.

TMR

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 20:14, 23 January 15I didn't review the XL/XE or C16 versions. The XL/XE version looks like it is a reskinned version of Blue Thunder which in itself is a terrible clone of the fantastic Fort Apocalypse.

Yes, it was just Blue Thunder with a quick and dirty cosmetic reskin and a lot of Atarians were quite rightly upset about it. Raid Over Walsall was released by one cracker as a response (which is, amusingly, itself a reskinned game) and is a shoot 'em up where the player had to destroy Elite's offices because they released Airwolf and weren't producing decent Atari 8-bit games.

(Just in passing, i disagreed somewhat about the C64 version - it's not an easy game but we got some distance into it and enjoyed the experience "back in the day".)