News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision - Beach Head

Started by chinnyhill10, 23:21, 21 July 16

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Not a bad version. Enjoyed it as a kid but today it comes across as a series of mini games, none of which are particularly entertaining for more than a few goes. Still it kept me amused as part of the first They Sold A Million compilation that we got with our CPC.

--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

CraigsBar

Wow, a day early. Knockout video. Thanks as normal ;)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Shaun M. Neary

I was late in the game getting my hands on this one at Christmas 88 as part of US Gold's History In The Making compilation, released as US Gold celebrated it's first three years. It was probably the most beautifully presented box sets for video games I'd ever seen at the time and very little has beaten it since. Some nice blurb on the inlays as well which made for an interesting read for 12 year old me.

This was another one I enjoyed for a while, Increase the difficulty for a real challenge, especially when trying to get your boats across to the other side! I had no accuracy when it came to the fortress at the end though, if I ever beat it, it was down to pure dumb luck.

Beach Head II was fucking awful though, review that turkey if you dare!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 03:04, 22 July 16

I remember getting it on budget. Don't recall playing it much so presumably it was pretty bad!
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 07:44, 22 July 16

I remember getting it on budget. Don't recall playing it much so presumably it was pretty bad!

Was also on the History In The Making box. It looked more like throwaway levels of Raid Over Moscow really.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Puresox

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 03:04, 22 July 16
I was late in the game getting my hands on this one at Christmas 88 as part of US Gold's History In The Making compilation, released as US Gold celebrated it's first three years. It was probably the most beautifully presented box sets for video games I'd ever seen at the time and very little has beaten it since. Some nice blurb on the inlays as well which made for an interesting read for 12 year old me.

This was another one I enjoyed for a while, Increase the difficulty for a real challenge, especially when trying to get your boats across to the other side! I had no accuracy when it came to the fortress at the end though, if I ever beat it, it was down to pure dumb luck.

Amstrad version was shockingly bad , an utter lazy,no effort waste . The C64 version was fantastic and had plenty of good games involved.
Beachhead 1 for the Amstrad was adequate at best, not a total embarrassment. The shoot out of the fortress was a sod, cos the hit boxes on some of the squares was out of kilter.
Raid....!(Over Moscow) Also adequate for the Amstrad  ,slightly better game though ,plenty of variety, all done reasonably well . The scrolling level was a little basic though and lacked the finess .
How I felt on the games anyway.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Puresox on 17:25, 26 July 16
Raid....!(Over Moscow) Also adequate for the Amstrad  ,slightly better game though ,plenty of variety, all done reasonably well . The scrolling level was a little basic though and lacked the finess .
How I felt on the games anyway.

Aw I enjoyed Raid to a degree, Took me a long time to learn how to control the ships to get them out of the base, but once I got there I had fun.
Of course, one I finished it on easy, that was it for me. ;)

AMSDOS

I remember AA reviewing those games BH 1&2 along with raid when they came out on one of the multimix packs by kixx, think it got something like 43%
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

ivarf

Quote from: Puresox on 17:25, 26 July 16
We are talking about an Amsoft Gold game here 😇

Puresox

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 02:08, 27 July 16 

Aw I enjoyed Raid to a degree, Took me a long time to learn how to control the ships to get them out of the base, but once I got there I had fun.
Of course, one I finished it on easy, that was it for me. ;)

[/size]
  Raid was US Gold too . I did like Raid though.

ivarf

Quote from: Puresox on 02:34, 28 July 16

But not full price?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Puresox on 02:34, 28 July 16

Actually, it was Access Software. US Gold published it, Amsoft ended up getting the rights to do it too, I definitely remember an Amsoft version too.

Quote from: ivarf on 09:13, 28 July 16
But not full price?

It did relatively well on full price release. The game was almost a year and a half old originally released on a C64, and then it hit the CPC a good bit later, which may explain it's lack of finesse.

ivarf

But do we know for sure it was sold at full price from US Gold for the Amstrad? I would have thought it was budget only from US Gold as it was an Amsoft gold release.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ivarf on 08:13, 29 July 16
But do we know for sure it was sold at full price from US Gold for the Amstrad? I would have thought it was budget only from US Gold as it was an Amsoft gold release.

Amstrad Action Issue 2 listed it as £8.95 in 1985. 89% overall, AA Rave.
That was the US Gold box.

Puresox

It was advertised by US Gold for Amstrad at full Price

Gryzor

I have temporary issues with YT right now so I'll watch it later.

However; the c64 version is considered a true classic - is the difference from the CPC one so great? I don't remember it being so much better...

Btw, the map screens reminded me of Blue War - a favourite war game of mine...

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:03, 17 August 16However; the c64 version is considered a true classic - is the difference from the CPC one so great? I don't remember it being so much better...

I can't say I noticed much of a difference between the C64 and Amstrad version in terms of gameplay. Again, I must stress, Beach Head was fairly decent on all formats, it's sequel however was dire on so many levels.

ivarf

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:03, 17 August 16
However; the c64 version is considered a true classic - is the difference from the CPC one so great? I don't remember it being so much better..

That says a lot about C64 gaming really ;D