News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision - Bubble Dizzy

Started by chinnyhill10, 13:35, 13 March 15

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Loved by Amstrad Action for some inexplicable reason. CPC version is up last.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYTDw9shNkQ
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

EgoTrip

There is one significantly worse Dizzy game than Bubble Dizzy. Which really takes some doing. That is Dizzy Down the cRapids.

Shameful cash-ins.

kilon

Quote from: EgoTrip on 14:23, 13 March 15
There is one significantly worse Dizzy game than Bubble Dizzy. Which really takes some doing. That is Dizzy Down the cRapids.

Shameful cash-ins.

Are they ?

Sure the game is crap, but if people are willing to pay to play it , what so shameful about that ? Supply and demand.

The irony here is that best version, the only version that looked fun to play was the one with the weakest hardware specs, C64.

But then I take a look at games like Tetris , that there are  brain dead simple games that have been extremely successful commercially. 

Personal taste is a weird thing.

EgoTrip

The shameful part is knowingly selling a sub-standard piece of software, even if it is budget, knowing people will buy it because it stars Dizzy. Sure people are stupid but is it really right to exploit that stupidity? Especially when a magazine gives the game a good review when it clearly is bad. This was before the days of the internet, and the only way people got to find out about games was reading magazine reviews.

They were more than capable of creating good quality budget games, and often did, so there really is no excuse.

CraigsBar

I must admit, the Amiga version looks to play well and appears quite good.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

kilon

Quote from: EgoTrip on 15:25, 13 March 15
The shameful part is knowingly selling a sub-standard piece of software, even if it is budget, knowing people will buy it because it stars Dizzy. Sure people are stupid but is it really right to exploit that stupidity? Especially when a magazine gives the game a good review when it clearly is bad. This was before the days of the internet, and the only way people got to find out about games was reading magazine reviews.

They were more than capable of creating good quality budget games, and often did, so there really is no excuse.

So basically just because I am a huge Star Trek fan and I have be buying many Star Trek games , many of them very crappy, you say I am stupid ?

I think internet is great but no reading magazines reviews was not the only way to find out. First of all here in Greece we had many game magazines, not just one,  second I had many friends that played games . Third we had Game Halls, places where you could go and rent to play games , either coin ops , or amigas and test the games for yourself. Then of course was the internet of the day BBS which I have admit I was not user of but I had friends who were. And finally no game shop wants to sell a game that is a loss. Sure you end up with a product in your hands that ends up being a huge fail. But these things happen.

How many times you played a game after you read super positive reviews, all your friends loved it and you hated it to death. I can remember a few times.

But to reply to your assumed question, would a person who is not stupid buy a piece of crap game ? Sure, because in the end just because something is crappy does not mean its not fun :)

I tried to play GhostBusters 2 recently and I am just amazed how I even enjoyed the first time. For me now is just a piece of crap. Ghostbusters 1 was ever worse and I even liked that one . But then I was sucker for anything Ghostbuster doing my childhood.

So no, nothing shameful at all.

EgoTrip

There is a world of difference betwen opinion, and outright bad quality games. It is not a matter of opinion that Bubble Dizzy on the CPC is bad, it is a fact. The developers must have known how terrible it was. But they released it anyway cos they knew it would sell regardless. That is morally dubious even if it is good business sense, and this makes sense cos business and morals tend to be mutually exclusive. Plus the fact people got mislead by a good review in a leading magazine at the time.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: kilon on 15:09, 13 March 15
Are they ?

Sure the game is crap, but if people are willing to pay to play it , what so shameful about that ? Supply and demand.

The irony here is that best version, the only version that looked fun to play was the one with the weakest hardware specs, C64.

Amiga owners would disagree that their machine had a weaker hardware spec out of those 3 formats!

C64 version could be fun with some tweaking. But the game physics are out and the collision detection is dire. Its hit or miss if you manage to stand on a bubble or not.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

chinnyhill10

Quote from: CraigsBar on 15:47, 13 March 15
I must admit, the Amiga version looks to play well and appears quite good.

It's a really nice game. Takes a little while to get the hang of it but one you do and you get into the rhythm of it it's rather splendid.

The CPC version is just plain crap. Straight Speccy port with ugly colours and virtually no sound. Probably ported in a day or so I guess to save money. Didn't AA give it about 80% or something? God knows how!
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

CraigsBar

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 19:29, 13 March 15. Didn't AA give it about 80% or something? God knows how!
they might have reviewed the Amiga version by mistake.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

chinnyhill10

Quote from: CraigsBar on 23:04, 13 March 15
they might have reviewed the Amiga version by mistake.

The kind of thing ACU would do in the later years but not AA who were quite happy to slaughter games if they saw fit (e.g. Count Duckula 2, and The Jetsons). In fact didn't they hate Dizzy Down The Rapids as well?
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Nich

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 23:14, 13 March 15
The kind of thing ACU would do in the later years but not AA who were quite happy to slaughter games if they saw fit (e.g. Count Duckula 2, and The Jetsons). In fact didn't they hate Dizzy Down The Rapids as well?
Yes - 29% in issue 82.

I always thought the CPC version of Bubble Dizzy was all right, albeit far too easy to complete. Now that I've seen your video, it looks very mediocre compared to the Amiga and C64 versions.

After watching your video, I decided to play the C64 version, and it's definitely not as unplayable as you seem to suggest.

chinnyhill10

I just can't see the bubbles when they rise out of the sand and the collision detection seems to be off. You have to be dead centre on the bubble otherwise its hit or miss if it will allow you to ride it or not.

Might be lag. I do suffer from a delay when capturing.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube