News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision: Burnin' Rubber

Started by chinnyhill10, 11:50, 09 October 15

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Thanks to Craigsbar and Fatbob for donating a CPC 464 Plus to the channel, the first review from our new machine is the pack in game for system, Burnin' Rubber:

All recorded from a real CPC 464 Plus, another ChinnyVision CPC first for Youtube! I know Youtube is awash with Burnin' Rubber videos but this time it's the real CPC output!
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

CraigsBar

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

seanb

Look forward to watching tonight
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

VincentGR

chinnyhill10

There's a blink and you'll miss it appearance of the C4CPC as well near the start (and I get the name wrong).

Anyone know what the coders went on to do after this?

--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Phantomz

Quote from: Novabug on 12:08, 09 October 15
Excellent!

Nice Video @chinnyhill10  :)

I'm glad that you've got your new machine and have got it all sorted out now  ;)

I'm looking forward to watching more gx4000 / plus videos from yourself now, hopefully your new machine will also help you do other Amstrad game videos thanks to the C4CPC.

I know that not all games will work after they have been converted, but for the ones that do, it's a lot easier have them in the side of your machines ready to play like you said.

The added bonus that you have over the GX4000 is that you have a keyboard , so you can play games where the keyboard can't be remapped due to compression, or unsupporeted versions like " Operation Wolf " and the " Gauntlet " games.

Maybe we need to do a page for 464 plus and 6128 plus conversions too.

Anyway, here are " Operation Wolf " and " Gauntlet " games incase you'd like them for your new plus machine, they are not on the GX4000 page ( apart from Gauntlet 2 ) due to the reasons I mentioned.

Anyway Keep up the good work, I hope you enjoy your new plus machine and all the conversion I do.  ;)

Zoe Robinson

This is the first time I've seen Burnin' Rubber running, rather than as screenshots in Amstrad Action - it's surprisingly nice! I love the way they managed to get it to change colours pretty seamlessly - I didn't notice the changes at first, which is impressive.

Another great video, Chinny. You're making me want to track down a Plus machine now. :)

CraigsBar

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 16:38, 09 October 15
This is the first time I've seen Burnin' Rubber running, rather than as screenshots in Amstrad Action - it's surprisingly nice! I love the way they managed to get it to change colours pretty seamlessly - I didn't notice the changes at first, which is impressive.

Another great video, Chinny. You're making me want to track down a Plus machine now. :)
They appear surprisingly regularly on the Irish auction sites..... I'll keep you all posted if I see any more bargains.

TFM

Quote from: Phantomz on 15:33, 09 October 15
Maybe we need to do a page for 464 plus and 6128 plus conversions too.

That would be a great idea! Most people have a Plus, not a GX4000 only.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: CraigsBar on 16:43, 09 October 15
They appear surprisingly regularly on the Irish auction sites..... I'll keep you all posted if I see any more bargains.

Thank you :D

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Phantomz on 15:33, 09 October 15
Nice Video @chinnyhill10  :)

I'm glad that you've got your new machine and have got it all sorted out now  ;)

I'm looking forward to watching more gx4000 / plus videos from yourself now, hopefully your new machine will also help you do other Amstrad game videos thanks to the C4CPC.

There will be more Plus stuff (but not for a few weeks as I'm busy with my real work a the moment so I'm relying on the cache of videos I built up over the Summer).

There's already lots of CPC content on the channel. 42 videos of 85 in fact have some CPC content:

ChinnyVision - The Retro Game Review Channel - YouTube

Nearly everything is from real kit. The only exceptions are the Plus stuff before today and older ST stuff.

Now we have the C4CPC, the hacked games are really useful. Gerald has built a wonderful device that is quick and efficient. So to have as much software as possible to run from it is great news especially if you have a 464 Plus and no hope of running an HxC.

What we really need now is to get the word out so more CPC Plus owners can enjoy the C4CPC and also hopefully get some 3D printed cases to protect the board and help it sit more securely in the cartridge slot.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Phantomz

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 21:03, 09 October 15
Now we have the C4CPC, the hacked games are really useful. Gerald has built a wonderful device that is quick and efficient. So to have as much software as possible to run from it is great news especially if you have a 464 Plus and no hope of running an HxC.

What we really need now is to get the word out so more CPC Plus owners can enjoy the C4CPC and also hopefully get some 3D printed cases to protect the board and help it sit more securely in the cartridge slot.

I agree that Gerald has built a wonderful device, but it's only as good as what's available to use on it, I know it's not easy for the 464 / or 464 plus to use a HXC or Gotek Floppy emulator, but the option is there at least for these computers, even if it's not easy to do.

The poor old GX4000 really needed this device, so it's a god send for it, saying that, the device is still only as good as what you can do with it.

This is why thanks to @arnoldemu  8) for making nocart, I've been busy trying to do conversion for people to use, like a few other people.  ;D

I think there are only a couple of people trying to do these conversion, myself included.

I think most people can just download a disc version of the game and just play it on a floppy emulator, so don't bother looking at converting games which is a shame.

I'm glad that I've personally done a fair few conversions now like a few others, if it wasn't for arnoldemu and the rest of us guys, there would only be the original 20 odd games to play, which is nothing compared to what's available now.

A lot of these games have taken a lot of work and time to find and remap all the controls, maybe that's why not to many people bother to do them too.

I'm starting to get busy so my time to convert games is going to be less, so don't think many more will be coming from myself, I think that will pretty much leave dragon being the only one doing the conversions which is a shame.

CraigsBar

I agree. And I did a few conversions in the beginning, but I soon found that my skills were exhausted when it came to remapping controls etc...

I still have a couple of releases ready for the no cart that supports 80 trk discs.

remax

Brain Radioactivity

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Phantomz on 22:04, 09 October 15
I'm starting to get busy so my time to convert games is going to be less, so don't think many more will be coming from myself, I think that will pretty much leave dragon being the only one doing the conversions which is a shame.

If you get chance to do Zub before you quit it would be much appreciated. Fire button 2 to change the energy level to the scanner and back again? Can't think it would need much else other than some way of making the level select work.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

andycadley

Another great video and really good to see real Plus hardware in action. One thing you didn't mention, that I always loved about Burnin' Rubber, is the way it uses the stereo sound to give an impression of where the opposing cars are. It's a subtle touch, but yet another that just shows how much effort went into polishing it up.

Phantomz

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 23:14, 09 October 15

If you get chance to do Zub before you quit it would be much appreciated. Fire button 2 to change the energy level to the scanner and back again? Can't think it would need much else other than some way of making the level select work.

I'm not quitting as such, I'll still do games if I get any free time to do so, just haven't got much free time to put the hours in so much at the moment.

I think I had a look at Zub sometime ago, I didn't have much luck finding where the controls to be remapped are, maybe someone else could give that game a go.

Do you just want the game as a cpr for the C4CPC as you don't need the keys remapped due to having a keyboard ?

If so I can upload it, but like I said, I couldn't find the controls to be remapped last time I had a look.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Phantomz on 14:39, 10 October 15
I'm not quitting as such, I'll still do games if I get any free time to do so, just haven't got much free time to put the hours in so much at the moment.

I think I had a look at Zub sometime ago, I didn't have much luck finding where the controls to be remapped are, maybe someone else could give that game a go.

Do you just want the game as a cpr for the C4CPC as you don't need the keys remapped due to having a keyboard ?

If so I can upload it, but like I said, I couldn't find the controls to be remapped last time I had a look.

I was thinking more for the benefit of everyone. I can play it any time but it seems like a cool game to have on the console.

I don't think the Pickfords retained their code unlike the Oliver Twins. If you ever get stuck with an Oliver Twins game, I suspect you could just ask as it looks like they always documented and archived their code.

--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Phantomz

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 16:36, 10 October 15
If you ever get stuck with an Oliver Twins game, I suspect you could just ask as it looks like they always documented and archived their code.

That's handy to know.  :)

I've done a few Oliver Twins Games as you know, including most of the dizzy games, I would have liked to had done " Crystal Kingdom Dizzy " for us all, so the whole set would be available on the GX4000 then.

The problem is, I can't find a good disc based version of the game without compression, so myself or maybe someone else could try and look at remapping the controls.