News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision: Chase HQ

Started by chinnyhill10, 21:28, 02 September 16

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Do I need to say much more? A look at all the Ocean versions of Chase HQ + the Master System. Includes footage direct from a CTM 644 as well.

--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Shaun M. Neary

Nice vid as per usual.

That c64 version was painful to watch, I'd never seen the game in action on that system before.
I played this one a lot on the 464, totally unaware that 128k versions all loaded in the one until I actually got to use one in 1995! The multi load actually wasn't too painful on the tapes for this one either, as opposed to Outrun.

What I don't get with the ST and Amiga version, is what's the deal with the ultra wide roads? Even the arcade version didn't have those.
Still a classic today, the arcade version gets a lot of love from a MAME point of view today here.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 01:51, 03 September 16
Nice vid as per usual.

That c64 version was painful to watch, I'd never seen the game in action on that system before.

I assume there is a story behind it. Suspect it was outsourced. Ocean had so much work at that time sometimes versions got sent to outside developers. This happened with the Spectrum version of WEC Le Mans which is why it is different to the CPC version.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

TFM

Nice video! Good pick of a game! Thanks!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 11:47, 03 September 16

I assume there is a story behind it. Suspect it was outsourced. Ocean had so much work at that time sometimes versions got sent to outside developers. This happened with the Spectrum version of WEC Le Mans which is why it is different to the CPC version.

On another note, you mention the changing and adding bits in the Sega version. Sega even did that with their own games for the Master System. Enduro Racer, which was a good game as it was, was changed into an isometric view ala Return of The Jedi, and a shadow of it's arcade counterpart.

Christ knows why, they left Hang On alone and that was fine as it was.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 03:38, 04 September 16

On another note, you mention the changing and adding bits in the Sega version. Sega even did that with their own games for the Master System. Enduro Racer, which was a good game as it was, was changed into an isometric view ala Return of The Jedi, and a shadow of it's arcade counterpart.

Christ knows why, they left Hang On alone and that was fine as it was.

I think it seemed to happen more once the Megadrive was out. The SMS became more of the 'kids' console in their eyes. The real gamers would buy a Megadrive instead.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 12:53, 04 September 16

I think it seemed to happen more once the Megadrive was out. The SMS became more of the 'kids' console in their eyes. The real gamers would buy a Megadrive instead.

Gotta disagree there. You gotta remember, the Master System was THE console to get from 88-90 (before the Megadrive saw release over here), you were king shit if you had one of those just for it's arcade conversions whereas Nintendo were known for cartoony games which a lot of people over the age of 15 scoffed at... until Zelda came along and changed all that.

Then the Megadrive came out, and it had been anticipated for almost a year with the likes of C+VG banging on about it. I remember the first time playing one, thinking Altered Beast and Streets Of Rage were amazing (wasn't a Sonic fan), but everyone was crazy about Sonic. Sega eventually made a version of Sonic for the Master System (I believe initially it was Segas version of a Megadrive exclusive), and started bundling Master Systems with Sonic which bolstered the sales of the SMS, that's around the time it becomes the kids console... oh wait, that WAS your point.  :laugh:

But Chase HQ and Enduro Racer came out before the Megadrive was launched if memory serves me well, Shinobi also had alterations done to the game that were different to the arcade too, so I'm not so sure that the Megadrive being released was a factor. I'm sure there were other Sega arcade originals that were drastically altered for the Master System too.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 14:37, 04 September 16

But Chase HQ and Enduro Racer came out before the Megadrive was launched if memory serves me well, Shinobi also had alterations done to the game that were different to the arcade too, so I'm not so sure that the Megadrive being released was a factor. I'm sure there were other Sega arcade originals that were drastically altered for the Master System too.

I think you are right that Sonic was the turning point. But what I notice about the SMS v Megadrive when I do the reviews is that SMS games are often a bit easier and have many more continues than the Megadrive ones. That says to me they were trying to aim at a younger audience who may not have the gameplay skills. There's a couple of SMS games (Dynamite Dux for example) where I've nearly completed them on my first go.

At our school I knew one kid with an SMS and nobody with a NES. Alot of the Amiga owners also got Megadrives though.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 17:55, 04 September 16

I think you are right that Sonic was the turning point. But what I notice about the SMS v Megadrive when I do the reviews is that SMS games are often a bit easier and have many more continues than the Megadrive ones. That says to me they were trying to aim at a younger audience who may not have the gameplay skills. There's a couple of SMS games (Dynamite Dux for example) where I've nearly completed them on my first go.

At our school I knew one kid with an SMS and nobody with a NES. Alot of the Amiga owners also got Megadrives though.

Well it's the unfair comparison of 8bit vs 16bit really. A lot of 8 bit games in general, especially arcade conversions were very easy to finish. Multiple continues were the death knell of a lot of late 80s, early 90s games. As bad as Sega was for that with the Mastersystem, Nintendo were a lot worse! Super Mario Brothers 3 was easily completed because of the amount of extra lives that could be earned and the amount of continues in the game. A lot of the early Megadrive releases didn't require a lot of continues because they were stupidly easy. Altered Beast got slated initially I believe for being too easy to finish despite looking exactly like the arcade. Only game I think I ever played on the SMD that really presented a challenge to me was Fantastic Dizzy, that WAS a challenge, especially the mine cart levels. =D

Few people had NES's here in Dublin too, although I don't think we saw them until the early 90s, and they were practically outdated then.

Puresox

NES was the top dog in the States ,but was nowhere in the UK. The Master system was nothing in the states and slightly made a dent in the UK . I thought the Master Sytem was a far better system than NES , but I suppose it was a newer system so had that advantage . I detested the graphic style on the NES and thought the Master Sytstem had far more appealing pallette and graphics(Similar to the CPC). I did like Mario on the NES and thought that was a killer app.
The Mega Drive was onthe other hand inferior to the SNES.which I consider the greatest console of all time .

kawickboy

Brillant footage. I've never seen the msx release before. The speccy one is really awesome.

zeropolis79

You're not suppose to praise other computers on a CPC board!

Burn him/her at the stake for hearsay!

Puresox