News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision - Chubby Gristle

Started by chinnyhill10, 11:26, 16 October 15

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Well I was fully expecting a Speccy port given the MSX and C64 versions!

Still offensively awful mind.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Zoe Robinson

I was very surprised at the CPC version not being a Speccy port after seeing that godawful title screen.

As for the game itself, what were they thinking? Were they even thinking at all?

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 19:57, 17 October 15
I was very surprised at the CPC version not being a Speccy port after seeing that godawful title screen.

As for the game itself, what were they thinking? Were they even thinking at all?

Suggestion was that the development house needed to get a game out fast to pay the bills so they hacked the game together. Very unusual for the same 2 coders to do all the versions.

It's derivative rubbish though. The game doesn't have a single original idea and its all implemented terribly.

And yes its a surprise the CPC isn't a Speccy port. No idea why not, surely a Speccy port would have been quicker in that situation? Unless they felt it would sell a few more copies. But then again the C64 gets a Speccy port so goodness knows! They also went to the trouble of using hardware sprites on the MSX and having the game run faster than the Speccy. Usually its straight ports that run a third slower.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

EgoTrip

You should do City Slicker by Hewson next.

Zoe Robinson

Speaking of Speccy ports and suggestions, have you tried "Streaker"? I first played that on an MSX and as I recall, it runs about as fast as the CPC version.

A fun little game, with an interesting time advancement system that allows for time-based puzzles.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 21:44, 18 October 15
Speaking of Speccy ports and suggestions, have you tried "Streaker"? I first played that on an MSX and as I recall, it runs about as fast as the CPC version.

A fun little game, with an interesting time advancement system that allows for time-based puzzles.

Being familiar with both City Slicker and Streaker I'm now trying to work out which was the worst.

I got City Slicker cheap from our local Amstrad dealer for £1.99 due to a damage cassette cover. Really wish I hadn't!
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

arnoldemu

Krisalis made it.

I worked there a few years after they stopped their amiga/st work.

I heard the Chubby Gristle character was based off a person who was seen in the same town where the offices were...

Was it to pay off some bills, I don't know that.

I believe at the time it was easy for the same 2 people to do the game. They had tools that would convert graphics, and they already had a library of code to use.

Sometimes the ports were handled by a different programmer in the company and sometimes that person chose not to put their name on the credits.

Looks like the msx and c64 graphics were ported from the Spectrum. msx, cpc and speccy all share a z80, so a port to those must have been quick. Good they recoloured the cpc version.

The code may have been re-used by a previous game they ported and new levels and graphics put in.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

chinnyhill10

Quote from: arnoldemu on 09:08, 19 October 15
Krisalis made it.

I worked there a few years after they stopped their amiga/st work.

I heard the Chubby Gristle character was based off a person who was seen in the same town where the offices were...

Was it to pay off some bills, I don't know that.

I believe at the time it was easy for the same 2 people to do the game. They had tools that would convert graphics, and they already had a library of code to use.

Sometimes the ports were handled by a different programmer in the company and sometimes that person chose not to put their name on the credits.

Looks like the msx and c64 graphics were ported from the Spectrum. msx, cpc and speccy all share a z80, so a port to those must have been quick. Good they recoloured the cpc version.

The code may have been re-used by a previous game they ported and new levels and graphics put in.

Someone on Twitter suggested some of the code may be reused from the Monty Mole games. No idea if that is true.

According to Zzap:

"Life for the Teque Software crew would be a bowl of cherries were it not for a cantankerous car park attendant who gives them constant hassle. This rather unsavoury character plays such a fundamental role in the lives of the coding [/size]chaps that they have decided to base the plot of a platform game on his crazy car parking antics. And so Chubby Gristle was born. "
[/size]

--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

arnoldemu

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 11:27, 19 October 15
According to Zzap:

"Life for the Teque Software crew would be a bowl of cherries were it not for a cantankerous car park attendant who gives them constant hassle. This rather unsavoury character plays such a fundamental role in the lives of the coding chaps that they have decided to base the plot of a platform game on his crazy car parking antics. And so Chubby Gristle was born. "

Yes this is what my friend on the inside mentioned.

He also said that the size and curve of the stomach is accurate.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

remax

Knowing that, the game gains value for me :)
Brain Radioactivity