News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision - Deathkick

Started by chinnyhill10, 22:13, 08 February 18

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Oh dear! Oh dear oh dear!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0W9iRGL7ss

But it was 1984 you cry! Yes, and so was Sabre Wulf! The real problem here is the game hasn't even been tested. Or more likely it has (because it crashes each and every time a short way into the game) but nobody cared less. Not the programmer, not the publisher. A horrible horrible game.

And as we know the CPC has a powerful BASIC which is capable of reasonable games. This however is just trash.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Zoe Robinson

I've seen worse...

...but only because I hadn't finished coding them. ;)

EgoTrip

I don't get what's wrong with this game. It's got great graphics, animation, sound and game play. Seems like a well produced game that was ahead of its time, I can't understand why people hate it.

tastefulmrship

I agree with EgoTrip! When I bought the game (with my Christmas tenner) in early 1985, I had to burn my copies of Pyjamarama, Technician Ted, Mutant Monty, Roland In Time, Blagger, Manic Miner, Roland In Space, Fire Ant, Roland In The Caves, Jet Set Willy, Bruce Lee, Sultan's Maze, Knight Lore, Oh Mummy and Roland On The Ropes as this was such a superior product!

I showed it to my Speccy & C64 owning friends and they smashed their own, inferior, machines and bought CPCs just to play this game!

Maybe your version was simply a bad crack; it did have an infinite lives cheat, after all!
I blame illegal games piracy for your bad experience with this masterpiece!

Shaun M. Neary

Thankfully, I didn't pay for this game at all. It came on a tape that had a few others copied on to it from a mate.

We loaded it up thinking "Deathkick, with a title like that, it's GOT to be good", bearing in mind we'd played Bruce Lee (keep typing Bryce Lee in there, don't know why!).
What we got made us laugh our bollocks off, it was just so bad.

30 years or so on, we still laugh, only at our reactions at such an atrocity.
The real question is why @chinnyhill10 felt the need to punish himself so badly by playing this in the first place?  :laugh:
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 10:15, 09 February 18

The real question is why @chinnyhill10 felt the need to punish himself so badly by playing this in the first place?  :laugh:

Stuart Ashen was researching his book and said to me, 'you have to try this'. As I was testing the M4 card at the time on my 464 I decided to kill two birds with one stone. And oh dear!
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

CraigsBar

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 18:38, 09 February 18

Stuart Ashen was researching his book and said to me, 'you have to try this'. As I was testing the M4 card at the time on my 464 I decided to kill two birds with one stone. And oh dear!
Verdict: the M4 is awesome, this game.. not so much. ;)

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Phantomz

WOW this game is so amazing, who wants it for the GX4000 ?  :P :laugh:

I thought super gran was bad, not sure if this is worst.  :-\

Shaun M. Neary

Supergran was a cash in on a semi popular kids TV show.

I'm not sure what the justification for this was!  :laugh:
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

remax

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 20:17, 09 February 18
Supergran was a cash in on a semi popular kids TV show.

I'm not sure what the justification for this was!  :laugh:

Making a quick cash grab on a new computer.

At this time, competition was really low so the only fact of selling a new game could insure some sales.
Brain Radioactivity

Zoe Robinson

I'm going to make a remastered version of this with enhanced graphics.

I've drawn a stick man on some paper. The game is a flip book.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 14:23, 10 February 18
I'm going to make a remastered version of this with enhanced graphics.

I've drawn a stick man on some paper. The game is a flip book.

It's probably crash free by comparison too!

AMSDOS

@chinnyhill10 Your review is priceless! :D  Regarding "Splatch!", it's been totally written in Assembly then converted to BASIC Data Statements so it could be published as an ACU Listing, when it comes to fine Boulder Dash clones written in BASIC "Rock Hopper" is a great example though.  :)
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

chinnyhill10

Quote from: AMSDOS on 05:38, 04 August 19
@chinnyhill10 Your review is priceless! :D  Regarding "Splatch!", it's been totally written in Assembly then converted to BASIC Data Statements so it could be published as an ACU Listing, when it comes to fine Boulder Dash clones written in BASIC "Rock Hopper" is a great example though.  :)

I assume that's how they did Roland Take A Running Jump as well.

Did anyone actually type in those multiple issue games with just data statements?
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

AMSDOS

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 20:28, 05 August 19

I assume that's how they did Roland Take A Running Jump as well.

It appears to be the case, though it appears it was written for an article which is on CPC-Power. I've only had a glance at it, though as part of the article some BASIC components are used, one of them is a Level Editor.

QuoteDid anyone actually type in those multiple issue games with just data statements?

The longest thing I remember typing on the Amstrad back in the day was "Rock Hopper", I don't recall encountering any multiple issue games with DATA statements as I was mainly collecting AA & ACU and our Aussie Mag "The Amstrad User" before they folded. I recall "The Amstrad User" publishing the Text Adventure games "The Rings of Artek" which went across 4 Issues I think, though by then I'd had enough of Adventure Games since I was never any good at them.

These days I've typed in longer listings using PC Keyboard and Scans of Listings onscreen. Adventures seem to be good for keeping the typing in check, Listings with DATA statements are somewhat limited because your limited to certain parts of the keyboard, despite that I typed in Splatch, though there were mistakes which the checksum didn't pickup on and then I think @Johnny Olsen had already typed it in. I was responsible for typing in Harrier Attack Version NLO which was published in Amstrad Cent Pour Cent. Road Toad is another from Popular Computing Weekly which was also typed in by @Nich I think. The other large M/C based game in ACU Space Mania I think was also typed in by Nich.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3